First event in ages... Thoughts?

  • Andrew T Trembley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2007
      12th Night & Coronation Jan 4-6, 2008</a>

      So we'll start out with what I don't know:
      I haven't been to an SCA event in nearly 10 years. I haven't ever
      been to a West Kingdom event. I haven't ever been to a hotel event. I
      haven't gone nihonjin to an event.

      What I do know?
      I was involved in my local SCA groups throughout much of the 90's. I
      come from the Northshield (back when it was still part of the Middle,
      and was just a "region"). I've been to several 12th Night events,
      including the Nordskogen 12th Night that was the first Northshield
      Coronet Tourney and Investiture. I've been to many camping events,
      and many church/school/strange-old-building events. I attended
      Pennsic 23 and 24. I've dressed generic middle-ages, generic middle-
      eastern for ugly-hot events and Italian Ren, German Ren and
      Elizabethan when I wanted to look nice. I've cooked feasts. I've
      merchanted, and never will again.

      So here's the thing. In April we're running <a href="http://
      www.cc26.info">Costume-Con 26</a> in San Jose (yes, I realize it's
      the same weekend as Spring Collegium Occidentalis, but our historical
      costume competition is Sunday for folks who wouldn't be caught dead
      missing CO) at the same hotel. This is a <em>very</em> local kingdom
      event where we can talk up our conference.

      Can anyone give me an idea what the schedule and activities at a West
      12th Night/Coronation are like? Anything that someone who isn't a
      native Wester would find odd?

      Is it worth getting a social-floor room to do an open afternoon
      Nihonjin "embassy" party, or to do a costumers' post-revel after Court?

      andy