Re: [SCA-JML] Hello? Does this Work?

  • David Nesmith
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
      I suppose it's the end of the tourney season and everyone is getting their last kicks before the snow flies (depending upon your location) As for this humble samurai, I've been getting ready for our tameshigiri party next weekend!

      kampai,
      Ishikawa Moritake
      (the original Jap Vader)

      Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote: Noble Cousins!

      Greetings from Solveig! So little mail has arrived from this list
      recently that
      I am wondering whether something or other has gone wrong.

      It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

      test'; " type=text/css>

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
        We've all been eaten by a grue.

        It is worse when only some are.

        Alcyoneus

      • Andrew T Trembley
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
          On Oct 30, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Franzi Dickson wrote:
          > We've all been eaten by a grue.

          A friend of mine was just reviewing his trip to Osaka, and described
          the under-city as a bunch of twisty passages, all alike.

          He couldn't, however, translate "You have been eaten by a grue" into
          nihongo.

          andy
        • Franzi Dickson
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 31, 2007
            >A friend of mine was just reviewing his trip to Osaka, and described
            >the under-city as a bunch of twisty passages, all alike.

            Why, I know just the part of the city he meant. Here is a picture of a signpost in one of the underground malls showing the way back to the two JR stations the mall connects to (as opposed to the other underground malls, above ground department stores, subway stations, other train company's stations...):

            http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Franzeska/Osaka/?action=view¤t=DSCN0340.jpg
          • Britt Booth
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 31, 2007
              "Anata wa Grue ga tabechattan desu." perhaps?

              Posted by: "Andrew T Trembley" attrembl@...
              <attrembl@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Hello%3F%20Does%20this%20Work%3F>
              attrembl
              <http://profiles.yahoo.com/attrembl> Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:58 am (PST) On Oct
              30, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Franzi Dickson wrote:
              > We've all been eaten by a grue.
              (snip)

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2007
                Tragically, the Japanese wikipedia page on grues (yes, there is one) doesn't translate that particular phrase. Do games tend to use 'anata'?

                >"Anata wa Grue ga tabechattan desu." perhaps?
                >
                >Posted by: "Andrew T Trembley" attrembl@...
                ><attrembl@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Hello%3F%20Does%20this%20Work%3F>
                > attrembl
                ><http://profiles.yahoo.com/attrembl> Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:58 am (PST) On Oct
                >30, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Franzi Dickson wrote:
                >> We've all been eaten by a grue.
                >(snip)
                >He couldn't, however, translate "You have been eaten by a grue" into
                >nihongo.
                >
                >andy
                >
                >--

              • JL Badgley
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
                  I would think it might just be 'Grue de kuwarechatta.' I would guess 'you'
                  would be assumed in the game, but I could be wrong.

                  -Ii