Scrolls of the Mongol invasion of Japan

  • Luiseach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 21, 2007
      From the SCA scribes list:

      Good site, lots of pictures, some of the controls are a little odd--to
      access items in the glossary, you clidk on the word you want, then click again
      outside the glossary box

      _http://www.bowdoin.edu/mongol-scrolls/_
      (http://www.bowdoin.edu/mongol-scrolls/)

      Luighseach

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 21, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Luiseach@... wrote:

        > From the SCA scribes list:

        Heh. What goes around, comes around.....

        There's also a very good book called "In Little Need of Divine
        Intervention," which discusses the actual military capabilities of the
        Japanese during this campaign.
        http://www.einaudi.cornell.edu/EastAsia/publications/item.asp?id=44

        Enjoy,
        Saionji no Hanae
        West
      • Luiseach@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 21, 2007
          In a message dated 10/21/2007 10:12:36 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          wodeford@... writes:

          There's also a very good book called "In Little Need of Divine
          Intervention,Intervention,<WBR>" which discusses the actual military capab
          Japanese during this campaign.
          _http://www.einaudi.http://www.ehttp://wwhttp://www.eihttp://wwhttp:_
          (http://www.einaudi.cornell.edu/EastAsia/publications/item.asp?id=44)

          Yeah, the book is cited on the website.

          Luighseach

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 22, 2007
            > There's also a very good book called "In Little Need of Divine
            > Intervention,Intervention,<WBR>" which discusses the actual military
            > capabilities of the Japanese during this campaign.
            > (http://www.einaudi.cornell.edu/EastAsia/publications/item.asp?id=44)

            Looks like a good book, thanks! Though I suspect the author is overly
            optimistic about what the Japanese of the period could do against a
            really huge army. The main problem is see wasn't technology, it was
            organization, which the Kamakura bafuku lacked, that would have been the
            real issue IMHO. Those little Roman guys weren't much better equipped
            than those monstrously huge barbarians, but organization and training
            helped them even overcome their own political generals.

            One of those interesting what if scenarios!

            Jim Eckman
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007

              Greetings from Solveig! So little mail has arrived from this list
              recently that
              I am wondering whether something or other has gone wrong.

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007

                Greetings from Solveig! So little mail has arrived from this list
                recently that
                I am wondering whether something or other has gone wrong.

              • Franzi Dickson
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                  We've all been eaten by a grue.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007

                    > We've all been eaten by a grue.
                    Did they take your Zorkmids?

                  • David Nesmith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                      I suppose it's the end of the tourney season and everyone is getting their last kicks before the snow flies (depending upon your location) As for this humble samurai, I've been getting ready for our tameshigiri party next weekend!

                      kampai,
                      Ishikawa Moritake
                      (the original Jap Vader)

                      Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote: Noble Cousins!

                      Greetings from Solveig! So little mail has arrived from this list
                      recently that
                      I am wondering whether something or other has gone wrong.

                      It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                      test'; " type=text/css>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                        We've all been eaten by a grue.

                        It is worse when only some are.

                        Alcyoneus

                      • Andrew T Trembley
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
                          On Oct 30, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Franzi Dickson wrote:
                          > We've all been eaten by a grue.

                          A friend of mine was just reviewing his trip to Osaka, and described
                          the under-city as a bunch of twisty passages, all alike.

                          He couldn't, however, translate "You have been eaten by a grue" into
                          nihongo.

                          andy
                        • Franzi Dickson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 31, 2007
                            >A friend of mine was just reviewing his trip to Osaka, and described
                            >the under-city as a bunch of twisty passages, all alike.

                            Why, I know just the part of the city he meant. Here is a picture of a signpost in one of the underground malls showing the way back to the two JR stations the mall connects to (as opposed to the other underground malls, above ground department stores, subway stations, other train company's stations...):

                            http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Franzeska/Osaka/?action=view¤t=DSCN0340.jpg
                          • Britt Booth
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 31, 2007
                              "Anata wa Grue ga tabechattan desu." perhaps?

                              Posted by: "Andrew T Trembley" attrembl@...
                              <attrembl@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Hello%3F%20Does%20this%20Work%3F>
                              attrembl
                              <http://profiles.yahoo.com/attrembl> Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:58 am (PST) On Oct
                              30, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Franzi Dickson wrote:
                              > We've all been eaten by a grue.
                              (snip)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 1, 2007
                                Tragically, the Japanese wikipedia page on grues (yes, there is one) doesn't translate that particular phrase. Do games tend to use 'anata'?

                                >"Anata wa Grue ga tabechattan desu." perhaps?
                                >
                                >Posted by: "Andrew T Trembley" attrembl@...
                                ><attrembl@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Hello%3F%20Does%20this%20Work%3F>
                                > attrembl
                                ><http://profiles.yahoo.com/attrembl> Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:58 am (PST) On Oct
                                >30, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Franzi Dickson wrote:
                                >> We've all been eaten by a grue.
                                >(snip)
                                >He couldn't, however, translate "You have been eaten by a grue" into
                                >nihongo.
                                >
                                >andy
                                >
                                >--

                              • JL Badgley
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 2, 2007
                                  I would think it might just be 'Grue de kuwarechatta.' I would guess 'you'
                                  would be assumed in the game, but I could be wrong.

                                  -Ii