Re: Sewing an Obi

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 20, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:
      > First, it the hitatare sugata an appropriate choice
      > for a samurai of Sho-hachi-i rank for wear into SCA
      > court?
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.ch02.html
      Hitatare are "formal" dress for the samurai class in the period you
      are describing.

      > Secondly, as this person's friend is also a squire,
      > this person had thought to make a red obi for the
      > friend as well. Was the obi ever decorated with
      > embroidery?

      Hard to say because I have not come across any extant obi from that
      period. My gut feeling is probably not. According to my textile books,
      there are embroideries from early in our period and then the fashion
      disappears for several centuries. When it comes back, it's in
      imitation of Chinese imports, and a poor imitation at that. (If anyone
      else has more information, please chime in!)

      BTW, if you look at the pictures of hitatare at the link I posted, you
      can't see the obi because it's UNDER the hakama ties.

      If you make him an uwa obi to wear with his fighting kit, I'm thinking
      embroidery might not be the most practical thing anyway. It's
      basically a simple, folded strip of cloth.
      http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/uwaobi.html

      (Embroidery DOES appear in women's obi well after our period. Which
      doesn't help you, I know.)

      West