Re: [SCA-JML] Name returned - Tsuruko

  • Rich Goble
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 18, 2007
      Ok... I'm new to the SCA (and therefore possibly painting a target on myself for suggesting this), but isn't there some way to educate the individual(s) on the CoA level so that they're working with the proper information? Correcting the individual(s) would be beneficial to all of us, thereby (in my opinion) worth the effort...

      - Rich

      > Looking at the kanji it does not appear to be a typo as solveig
      > suggests in her response. There is a tsurukome, but it uses the
      > kanji Tsuru (crane) and kome (lady)
      Actually, I was speculating not about Tsuruko, but Tsurako. It turns
      out that Tsurako is not a typo and has nothing at all to do with cranes.
      > A. Do not unwittingly check either the box for "correct to language/
      > culture" or "time period" this can cause a real pain in the
      > backside in getting it passed cleanly.
      >
      > B. Show the documentation for both Tsurako and Tsurukome on page 130
      > (revised) and 174(rev) respectively the second kanji of both names
      > ko (child) are identical, also show/point out documentation on
      > pageand pages 46-49 specifically talking about the construction of
      > Feminine names and the useages of -me, -hime, -ko, -akome and how
      > their usages varied by time. By the guidelines of construction that
      > Solvieg outlines, by taking the kanji Tsuru and -ko from the name
      > Tsurukome, and dropping the final element -me, results in a name
      > that is in agreement with the principals and spirit of medieval
      > japanese feminine names.
      Actually, you should also find one of the names with an <animal>+ko
      pattern. Also, it turns out that my most recent book order shipped a
      couple of days ago, and it includes a dictionary of Feminine Japanese
      names. So, I may be able to simply look up Tsuruko in a week or two.

      I will, however, tell you about a problem at the CoA level. At least
      one member of the CoA is resisting constructed Japanese names. He is
      insisting that each name appear exactly as submitted in some register
      or other. This is a fairly clueless approach to Japanese names, but I
      can't do much more than argue against his point of view.