Re: [SCA-JML] Fwd: PBS program tonight about laminated (Japanese) Swords how they are made,

  • Jamie Ritter
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2007
      Oooh cool, DVR here I come!!

      wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote: This popped up on another list I belong to.

      Enjoy,
      Saionji no Hanae,
      West
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "henrikofhavn" <duke_henrik@...>
      wrote:

      PBS program tonight about Japanese Swords - how they are made, etc.

      For anyone who may be interested in blacksmithing and soft metal
      (Copper, silver, gold, alloys)working techniques that were used in
      Asia
      and are similar to some used in various European locations - in
      period,
      The sword construction methods are similar to some Viking era swords
      in terms of forging and working the metal in a charcoal fire.
      Although most Samurai Swords are different in shape to Viking swords,
      the ancient Japanese also made straight double edged sword blades (
      called "Ken" or "Tsurugi" swords ) that are similar to Viking sword
      shapes ( see the film "Rashomon" for an example of such a sword
      wielded by the "Bandit" character in the story.) The forging
      techniques presented apply to all blade shapes and are useful to know.

      I recommend watching the NOVA program tonight on PBS. Channel 9 (
      local San Francisco channel) at 8:00
      PM is presenting this program , which is about historical Japanese
      Swords. This program details how they were made ( blades and hilt and
      scabbards and associated fittings) and used.

      Henrik

      Nova October 9, 2007

      Episode: "Secrets of the Samurai Sword"

      The craft of the traditional swordsmiths; samurai fighting school and
      the discipline of sword making.

      --- End forwarded message ---

      I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
      Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
      (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
      Jamie Ritter