RE: [SCA-JML] true kozane construction tips

  • Michael Peters
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2007
      "That being said, TORABA is not answering my e-mails (could be because
      I don't speak Japanese and they don't speak English?) "

      Toraba (Trevor) is Scottish so whether he speaks English is debatable. ;)

      He doesn't reply to anything that isn't buying an antique anymore.

    • Rich Goble
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2007
        Hi Jason.

        I have only ever found one site other than Toraba that sells armor fittings. The site is http://www.shadowofleaves.com/armor_fittings.htm. I've never had any dealings with them, so I don't know how they are for service, etc.

        Shadow Of Leaves also sells silk lacing and the various cords you will need - $68.00 per 10 meters for the silk if I remember right.

        Hope this helps.

        Please document your project in pictures so we can see your progress!!!

        - Rich

        Jason Adams <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
        Sign me up for the funny farm. Ive begun on a true kozane project.
        To start out, I am working on O-sode because they are square and need
        no scale modification for form fitting.

        That being said, does anyone have any little tid-bits, tips or tricks
        (or WARNINGS); wisdom of which you might allow me to partake in
        learning from?

        I *will* be lacquering them. I have devised a US-domestic lacquering
        compound based on available non-toxic agents. I am HORRIBLY allergic
        to poison-ivy type plants, so Urushi and even cashew are NOT options
        for me! LOL This method Ive come up with is not tried and true, its
        experimentation. In six months time, its still holding up then I will
        be proud :)

        Anyway, so if anyone has done lacquering and has some wisdom for me, I
        am all ears. Im open to all suggestions about any part of the true
        kozane construction process.

        I have begun with the kozane scales that have three columns of holes.
        I did this because I only have leather of various qualities and that
        is what that specific kozane-type was made for. I have already
        prepared and sinew-laced one full 12" row and inserted a 16 guage wire
        into the middle sinew lacing at the back as prescribed. Tomarrow I
        will begin my first layer of lacquer. I plan on placing tooth-picks
        into the holes to keep them from closing up from the lacquer.

        After the first three coats are applied I will put the cloth down. I
        don't have suitable leather, so I will use some very strong but
        flexible canvass. I plan on mixing it into a lacquer and glue
        compound as was originally done, instead of gluing it to the leather
        itself before lacquering. After all the hours and blisters of doing
        this, well gol-darnit, Im gonna do it right and have something I can
        look upon and be 100% proud!!!

        That being said, TORABA is not answering my e-mails (could be because
        I don't speak Japanese and they don't speak English?) And thus I NEED
        a source for proper silk lacing!!! (plus any little bits and bobs I
        cannot make myself) PLEASE if anyone has any ideas on places to get
        such authentic items or folks that carry Armour repair items, PLEASE
        let me know!!! web-stores, ebay, whatever.

        I will be spending the winter on this project and am in no real hurry
        to get it done. So feel free to e-mail me any time:
        banditt_adams(at)myway.com

        Quick pro-quo, yes I frequent Mr.Byants' site. I know thats the first
        thing people say. LOL

        Kindest regards,
        -Jason (Sanada no Katsuyuki), Ohio

      • Jason Adams
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2007
          LOL no kidding??

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
            Excellent Rich, thank you!! I have never seen this site before.

            I will be putting some images together as I go. On my
            www.GothicGermany.org site, I have an "armoury" link that shows the
            ashigaru set-up I made. now Im going for retainer armour. Laces and
            all that :)

            So as I get more put together I will post progress pics there.
            -Jason

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rich Goble <mcse4mci@...> wrote:

            > Hi Jason.
            >
            > I have only ever found one site other than Toraba that sells armor
            fittings. The site is
            http://www.shadowofleaves.com/armor_fittings.htm. I've never had any
            dealings with them, so I don't know how they are for service, etc.

            > Shadow Of Leaves also sells silk lacing and the various cords you
            will need - $68.00 per 10 meters for the silk if I remember right.

            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Please document your project in pictures so we can see your
            progress!!!

            > - Rich
          • gabriel_andvaka
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
              I can highly recommend Shadow of Leaves. Its a one man shop owned by Mike Crampton.
              Every time I've had questions, he's answered them. His return policy is great, and most of
              his stuff he keeps in stock and wil ship same day.

              Gabriel

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rich Goble <mcse4mci@...> wrote:

              > Hi Jason.
              >
              > I have only ever found one site other than Toraba that sells armor fittings. The site is
              http://www.shadowofleaves.com/armor_fittings.htm. I've never had any dealings with
              them, so I don't know how they are for service, etc.

              > Shadow Of Leaves also sells silk lacing and the various cords you will need - $68.00
              per 10 meters for the silk if I remember right.

              > Hope this helps.
              >
              > Please document your project in pictures so we can see your progress!!!
              >
              > - Rich

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
                On 10/10/07, gabriel_andvaka <andvaka_lists@...> wrote:

                > I can highly recommend Shadow of Leaves. Its a one man shop owned by Mike Crampton.
                > Every time I've had questions, he's answered them. His return policy is great, and most of
                > his stuff he keeps in stock and wil ship same day.

                I've been meaning to patronize them myself. I've met him, as he is
                local to us on the East Coast, and he seems to be quite reputable.
                I'll probably put in an order once I figure out what I want to do.

                -Joshua B.
              • Jason Adams
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2007
                  He is on the East Coast? Where at? I live in Ohio. I would love to
                  drive out and see a shop like his!!

                  -Jason