Re: [SCA-JML] Bonsai Cutter

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
      David Nesmith writes:

      >...utility knives often are beveled on only one side to
      >make construction and sharpening easier.

      Not only utility knives, there were a good number of buke blades in the latter part of the koto period that had that construction, though it was found more often on the shorter blades, it was probably a way to simplify construction, the majority of the blades that exhibit it are of average-poor quality, and that period coinsides with some of the highest volume of historical blade production.

      -Takeda
    • Sean Malloy
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

        > Added to this description, utility knives often are beveled on only
        > one side to make construction and sharpening easier. One sided
        > blades, if laminated at all, were only 2 layers, one hard and one
        > soft, and not folded. Obviously, the hard steel would be on the flat
        > side so that it will be exposed on the edge.

        Also, as it was explained to me in the class on making sushi that I
        took, a blade that is beveled on both sides, if not cutting straight
        down through something, will tend to twist toward a more horizontal
        position, making it difficult to make an angled slice that removes a
        piece of constant thickness, which is important when making sushi.
        Using a blade with a single bevel, and held with that bevel on the
        upper side, lets the blade make a straight cut through the object
        without twisting. How recent that attention to detail is -- or, at
        least, that _explanation_ of what it is for -- I don't know.