Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese fealty ceremonies/acknowledgement

  • David Nesmith
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 30 8:16 PM
      I spoke to my sensei in class today. He happens to own the one that was called a "bonsai cutter." It has been appraised as having been made in the late 1500's or early 1600's. It may take a few days for him to get photos of it, but I will attempt to describe it.
      A hamidatsu has a straight blade approximately 4" in length and has a full temper rather than the usual differential clay temper. It is ground on only one side like a kozuka, The kissaki is ground at a reverse angle so that the ha (edge) goes straight to the tip with no curve whatsoever. (ie: the pointy end is at the edge rather than at the back as the rest of the tanto varieties) So far, that would make it extremely easy for any blade maker to fabricate. The tricky part is that most hamidatsu have ornate horimono (engraving) on the side with the bevel edge. The koshirae can be as simple or as ornate as one's station, status or money allows.
      For an inexpensive substitute one might wish to take a patch knife and refit it with appropriate koshirae.

      your humble old timer,
      Ishikawa Moritake
      Min Ryu Shinto Ryu

      I will try to post some photos when available.

      Brook West <kitsune@...> wrote: --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:
      > Hamidatsu or aikuchi?
      > The hamidatsu I've seen was actually sold on a bonsai site several
      years ago. They thought it was for bonsai cutting. Turned out that
      it was a hamidatsu over 400 years old!

      How does a hamidatsu differ from an aikuchi? I ran a google search on
      hamidatsu, but the only thing to turn up was this thread.

      Thanks -- Kumao

      It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

      test'; " type=text/css>