Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Haidate construction question

  • David Nesmith
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
      Please convey my warmest greetings to Simon & Tessa. It has been many, many years since I've seen them. Blast from the past: Simon's stepping down at the coronation of Inman II in Emerald Keep. I was in Inman's entourage as one of his students. I've got some great pictures of them! (just not on digital yet)

      As for the (then) young man, last I heard, he had given up heavy weapons to concentrate on swashing.

      the humble old timer,
      Ishikawa Moritake

      Jeff Hawkins <mordici26@...> wrote: I'll ask Simon tomorrow at armory. If I run across this man, would you like me to relay any type of message?

      Jeffery Hawkins

      David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:
      circa 1985 I sold my black & silver basket weave armor with red ito including the red kote haramaki under armer and the ORIGINAL Jap Vader helm to a young man from Bordermarch who was about my size. Tall and slender. His problem was that he was a new fighter and I had aquired quite a reputation on the field. Needless to say, everyone thought it was me in that armor! Can you say, "beat into the ground like a tent stake?" So, to save his young hide, he painted the entire armor blue. Don't know why he chose light blue, but at least it wasn't Jap Vader!

      kampai!
      Ishikawa Moritake (aka Moritomo)

      mordici26 <mordici26@...> wrote: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/graphics/patterns/kawara.PDF?55,3

      The graphic/pattern at the bottom of this link/page is what I am
      looking to do.

      Thank You,
      Jeffery Hawkins

      PS Young, tall man; light blue armor. I may need more detail than
      this as there is an actual group that wears blue armor (mostly barrel
      plastic, I believe), who's name involvles the term "Smurf".

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

      > There are several different styles of haidate. Most have the
      vertical and horizontal scales connected to make a semi rigid
      panel. Some are stitched to a backing piece while others are linked
      with chain mail and then sewn to the backing piece. There are also
      examples of hexagonal plates linked with chain mail or sewn into a
      brigandine. The haidate does not follow the same style as the rest
      of the yoroi. This is because the haidate was used primarily on
      horseback to protect the legs and most samurai removed them when on
      foot for more maneuverability.

      > your in service,
      > Ishikawa Moritake
      >
      > p.s. Bordermarch you say? Ask them if they remember a tall young
      man who wore a suit of light blue armor many years ago... heh heh...
      that was MY first suit, sold to him but unbeknownst to him, it seemed
      my reputation came with it... LOL
      > Ishikawa
      >

      > mordici26 <mordici26@...> wrote:
      Ladys and Gentlemen,

      > My name is Jeffery Hawkins. I live in Beaumont, TX and am only
      one
      > of too few Japanese persona in my local group: Bordermarch.
      >
      > I am currently working on armor for heavy fighting and have come
      to a
      > wall. And while unlikely, I hold my hopes that I can complete the
      > armor in time for our Autumn Melees in November.Any help would be
      > greatly appreciated.
      >
      > With Iyo Haidate, each "scale" is laced to the next, horizontally.
      >
      > Are the horizontal rows of scales laced to the next row or is each
      > horizontal row separately sewn to the fabric base? If each row is
      > sewn separately, how is this done? Are they stitched down
      completely
      > or sewn only along the top, allowing them the slide over/under the
      > surrounding rows if the haidate is "bunched"?
      >
      > So that no time is wasted, I've researched this a good deal
      through
      > various media including Clan Yama Kaminari's excellent site and
      > Sengoku Daimyo which is the most informationally jam-packed
      japanese
      > online resource that I have seen.
      >
      > The haidate is explained at great length on the formerly mentioned
      > site, but I am sadly a 90% visual learner and the pictures that
      I've
      > found are just not enough. The text explanations, due nly to my
      > intellectual shortfalls, confuse me a great deal.
      >
      > Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Jeffery Hawkins
      >
      > PS. Please forgive my unsightly rambling...
      >

      > It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the
      blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!