Re: [SCA-JML] seeking assistance

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2000
      Lady Gara!

      I am sorry to hear that your local group is only interested in
      heavy list. Regardless, you have marvelous opportunities to study
      stuff in Japan. You said that you are fluent in modern conversational
      Japanese. I am duly impressed and envious as I am really very poor
      at languages.

      If you were interested in 16th century Portugese, Japan might
      present opportunities as well.

      As for flower arranging. If you get a good teacher you will eventually
      learn a bit of the history of flower arranging. As I believe that
      flower arranging was incorporated into the tea of Sen no Rikyu which
      would put some sort of flower arranging back to the 16th century.
      However, you should expect this to be quite different from modern
      flower arranging. For the most part, the iemoto system which marks
      much of traditional Japanese art was codified early in the Tokugawa
      period. While this may at times get you back to about 1650, you
      should also understand that the iemoto have continued to create
      new stuff. (This helps maintain their position.) If you get a
      high-class teacher you will at times learn earlier stuff as well
      and a bit of history. (Yes. I am repeating myself.)

      Things that you could continue to enjoy in Vancouver. How about
      just about any martial art. Or how about Tea Ceremony. Urasenke
      has the biggest group of followers, but I know Omotesenke people
      in the Society as well.

      You could also take up mountain climbing. That is a popular
      activity both in Japan and in Vancouver. You might even try
      to link up with a Yamabushi group or some other sect that
      combines hiking with religious asceticism.

      | techie.com, msn.com |