Re: [SCA-JML] On line KANJI dictionary etc.

  • David Nesmith
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 14, 2007
      I get lots of ????????????. How do I see the kanji? Especially since that is the very purpose of the site.

      scratching his head,
      Ishikawa Moritake

      Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote: Greetings All,

      For anyone here interested in learning Japanese, on-line dictionaries
      like that of Jim Bream's. are invaluable. However today I stumbled
      across a very useful Japanese web site in English, that I thought may be
      of interest to the members of this list:

      http://www.saiga-jp.com

      The above link will take you to the home page of an on-line store called
      "SAIGA". Once there, if you scroll down the menu at the left, you will
      come across four links to pages headed "Japanese Learning".

      The following is linked off the "KANJI Dictionary" page and is a
      complete list of the KANJI used in daily life, and includes a search
      tool:

      http://www.saiga-jp.com/language/kanji_list.html

      The following is a link to the help page detailing their instructions
      for using their search tool.

      http://www.saiga-jp.com/dictionary_help.html

      Anyway, if you haven't come across this site before I hope you all find
      it as useful as I think we over here will do.

      All the best

      Dean

      --
      Dean Wayland

      Main Page:
      http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
      SHOUGUN Home Page
      http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm
    • Brook West
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 16, 2007
        Moritake-san -- You need to install a Japanese font on your computer.
        WinXP, Win2000, and recent versions of MS Office include Japanese
        fonts. I prefer Mincho, but MS Gothic works fine, too.

        Go to the "regional and language options" control panel and add
        Japanese or "east asian language support" (depending on which version
        of Windoze you use). You'll need the Windows install disk -- click
        okay and it Windows will install the fonts and such from the CD.

        If you've got a Mac of Linux, I expect the process is similar but I
        don't know the details.

        Gambatte, ne -- Tanukibayashi Kumao

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

        > I get lots of ????????????. How do I see the kanji? Especially
        since that is the very purpose of the site.

        > scratching his head,
        > Ishikawa Moritake
        >
        > Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote:
        Greetings All,

        > For anyone here interested in learning Japanese, on-line
        dictionaries
        > like that of Jim Bream's. are invaluable. However today I stumbled
        > across a very useful Japanese web site in English, that I thought
        may be
        > of interest to the members of this list:
        >
        > http://www.saiga-jp.com
        >
        > The above link will take you to the home page of an on-line store
        called
        > "SAIGA". Once there, if you scroll down the menu at the left, you
        will
        > come across four links to pages headed "Japanese Learning".
        >
        > The following is linked off the "KANJI Dictionary" page and is a
        > complete list of the KANJI used in daily life, and includes a
        search
        > tool:
        >
        > http://www.saiga-jp.com/language/kanji_list.html
        >
        > The following is a link to the help page detailing their
        instructions
        > for using their search tool.
        >
        > http://www.saiga-jp.com/dictionary_help.html
        >
        > Anyway, if you haven't come across this site before I hope you all
        find
        > it as useful as I think we over here will do.
        >
        > All the best
        >
        > Dean
        >
        > --
        > Dean Wayland
        >
        > Main Page:
        > http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
        > SHOUGUN Home Page
        > http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm

      • Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Brook West" <kitsune@...> wrote:

          > Moritake-san -- You need to install a Japanese font on your computer.
          > WinXP, Win2000, and recent versions of MS Office include Japanese
          > fonts. I prefer Mincho, but MS Gothic works fine, too.
          >
          > Go to the "regional and language options" control panel and add
          > Japanese or "east asian language support" (depending on which version
          > of Windoze you use). You'll need the Windows install disk -- click
          > okay and it Windows will install the fonts and such from the CD.
          >
          > If you've got a Mac of Linux, I expect the process is similar but I
          > don't know the details.
          >
          > Gambatte, ne -- Tanukibayashi Kumao
          .co.uk
          > > SHOUGUN Home Page
          > > http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm

          This subject came up on SA a little while back. Below is what I posted which seemed to
          help.
          Quote:
          If you are using a Mac, you need a Japanese Language kit and can get info about that
          probably on Apple's Mac website.

          I run both systems, and must say that the Mac is somewhat easier to work with than the
          Microsuck IME.
          It also comes with the OS now (OS9+ and OSX) and need only be installed. I was pissed
          back in the day, because I purchased an expensive Japanese Language Kit and installed it
          back when I ran OS8, and the very next OS had it built right in! GRR!!!
          There are some differences in how each work, and the coding can be different. Especially if
          you build web pages with two-byte characters like kanji.
          For some reason, UTF8 and UTF16 are not fully supported in either editor, but I can say
          with the Mac, that the integration seems to be much easier and more intuitive to use.
          Once running, kanji can be placed in line, with a simple keystroke, and copied to the
          clipboard. I have folders labled in Japanese and Chinese (Chinese is just as easy on a Mac),
          and nearly every program (including those from adobe) seems to be able to handle the
          kanji.
          For the Microsuc IME, look here for instructions on implementation.
          http://www.declan-software.com/japanese_ime/
          The declan site is trying to sell you software, but the instructions are top-notch and
          useful.

          I found some more useful info for the Mac users of Asian fonts.
          http://redcocoon.org/cab/mysoft.html
          and

          Date
          _____
        • Chris St. Pierre
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
            Greetings, I am seeking some help finding a family/clan name as I am changing my persona over from german to japanese as I simply have more interest in feudal japan then medival europe.

            Now, I've found my given name of Yoritomo on a SCA heraldry site, though I cannot remember which atm. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

            Thanks in advance
            Severin Von Stroheim
            the soon to be
            Something or another Yoritomo

          • Jason Lewis
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
              it is Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth, but there is a nice list of
              clan names at

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clans

              This might help you in choosing a period clan name.

              Takamatsu Muneaki

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Chris St. Pierre" <Kakita_Kuroi@...>
                wrote:

                > Greetings, I am seeking some help finding a family/clan name as I am
                changing my persona over from german to japanese as I simply have more
                interest in feudal japan then medival europe.

                > Now, I've found my given name of Yoritomo on a SCA heraldry site,
                though I cannot remember which atm. Can anyone point me in the
                correct direction?

                Try http://www.sengokudaimyo.com and go into the "book" titled "An
                Online Japanese Miscellany." There's a whole section on names in there.

              • Dean Wayland
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007
                  Takamatsu-sama,

                  I've obviously missed the kanjisite.com when it's been posted before,
                  thanks, I've added it to my links page.

                  All the best

                  Dean

                  In message
                  <736f4cc60709140930v1f4a7e7ei90a864a9dc5a66c7@...>, Jason
                  Lewis <jason.lewis@...> writes

                  >I use http://www.kanjisite.com too. That one has most likely been posted
                  >100
                  >time.
                  >
                  >Takamatsu Muneaki

                  Dean Wayland
                  Head Of The Fight School
                  http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
                • James Eckman
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007
                    Jim Breen's online dictionary:
                    http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

                    Jim Breen's Japanese page:
                    http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japanese.html

                    Updated on a frequent basis and the best site for getting all info on
                    Japanese and PCs. Nothing's for sale either so you get the straight scoop.

                    Jim
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007

                      Greetings from Solveig! Yoritomo was one of the very famous Minamoto
                      of the Genpei War.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007

                        Greetings from Solveig! While the wikipedia site does not make me
                        gag, I do
                        not recommend it as there are problems with convolving uji with han.
                        These
                        are two entirely different entities. The uji continued in use all the
                        way up to
                        the 19th century. Very technically, if you are a member of the
                        military class,
                        then you would most likely have both a family name "myoji" and a clan
                        name "uji". While you might not generally use the name of the clan, you
                        would still know what it was and it would be recorded in certain
                        documents
                        at least as late as the 19th century.

                        NOTE. What the wikipedia site is calling "medieval clans" are
                        actually han.
                        These are not properly clans and should not be used for
                        names
                        except as family names. Even if you are Tokugawa Ieyasu or
                        Oda Nobunaga, you will have a separate uji name. The
                        one and
                        only one late period exception to this is the Toyotomi.
                        Incidentally,
                        nobody should include Toyotomi in their name as there
                        were too
                        few of them.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007

                          > Try http://www.sengokudaimyo.com and go into the "book" titled "An
                          > Online Japanese Miscellany." There's a whole section on names in
                          > there.
                          You might also try consulting with your local herald. Your local
                          herald may
                          know someone nearby who has a copy of Name Construction in
                          Medieval Japan which is a somewhat modest pamphlet on pre-1601
                          Japanese names.

                        • Furukusu Masahide (Taliesin)
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007
                            Ohayo Yoritomo-dono,

                            I happen to be a herald and have a copy of the suggested reference.
                            If you would like me to assist you with formulating a Japanese name
                            with documentation for submission and registration, feel free to
                            contact me off list: masahide at summerscauldron.com.

                            Furukusu Masahide

                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir

                            <snip>

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007
                              Greetings,

                              Can you recommend any reading or sources for guidelines for
                              fomulating a uji name? I have referenced "Name Consturction in
                              Medieval Japan" and while it discusses where the uji came from,
                              their use, and provides some information on how some uji names
                              derived from the Chinese reading of the family name's kanji, it does
                              not offer any advice on cronstruction of new uji names.

                              I am aware that the various uji were "fixed" during most of our
                              period, but given that we are "creative" and use constructed
                              surnames, etc, I feel it is reasonable to do the same for uji. From
                              a use perspective, this may be fairly simple. I am however also
                              interested in a "registration with the College of Arms" perspective
                              which puts certain restrictions on form (i.e. two name elements,
                              approved household or clan designator, etc).

                              <nostrand@...> wrote:

                              > Noble Cousins!
                              >
                              > Greetings from Solveig! While the wikipedia site does not make me
                              > gag, I do
                              > not recommend it as there are problems with convolving uji with
                              han.
                              > These
                              > are two entirely different entities. The uji continued in use all
                              the
                              > way up to
                              > the 19th century. Very technically, if you are a member of the
                              > military class,
                              > then you would most likely have both a family name "myoji" and a
                              clan
                              > name "uji". While you might not generally use the name of the
                              clan, you
                              > would still know what it was and it would be recorded in certain
                              > documents
                              > at least as late as the 19th century.
                              >
                              > NOTE. What the wikipedia site is calling "medieval clans" are
                              > actually han.
                              > These are not properly clans and should not be used
                              for
                              > names
                              > except as family names. Even if you are Tokugawa
                              Ieyasu or
                              > Oda Nobunaga, you will have a separate uji name.
                              The
                              > one and
                              > only one late period exception to this is the
                              Toyotomi.
                              > Incidentally,
                              > nobody should include Toyotomi in their name as
                              there
                              > were too
                              > few of them.
                              >
                              > Your Humble Servant
                              > Solveig Throndardottir
                              > Amateur Scholar
                            • JL Badgley
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007
                                On 9/20/07, Furukusu Masahide (Taliesin) <masahide@...> wrote:

                                > Can you recommend any reading or sources for guidelines for
                                > fomulating a uji name? I have referenced "Name Consturction in
                                > Medieval Japan" and while it discusses where the uji came from,
                                > their use, and provides some information on how some uji names
                                > derived from the Chinese reading of the family name's kanji, it does
                                > not offer any advice on cronstruction of new uji names.
                                >
                                > I am aware that the various uji were "fixed" during most of our
                                > period, but given that we are "creative" and use constructed
                                > surnames, etc, I feel it is reasonable to do the same for uji. From
                                > a use perspective, this may be fairly simple. I am however also
                                > interested in a "registration with the College of Arms" perspective
                                > which puts certain restrictions on form (i.e. two name elements,
                                > approved household or clan designator, etc).

                                Umm, from my understanding of the rules, all you really need for a
                                name is a given name and at least one byname. For that you can simply
                                choose a Family Name and a Given Name and you are good to go. There's
                                no need to 'create' an uji. If you are going to create anything, I'd
                                go for a Family Name, as those were more prevalent and easier to
                                construct. I guess I just don't see why you are trying to create an
                                uji.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007

                                  > Can you recommend any reading or sources for guidelines for
                                  > fomulating a uji name?

                                  Starting around 700 CE the emperor obtained control over the
                                  creation of new uji. Thus, creating new uji names is ahistorical
                                  unless you are recreating essentially prehistoric Japan. The
                                  situation with uji is actually worse than I suggest as most of the
                                  uji pretty much died out. Further, there is really little good reason
                                  to claim membership in a created uji as the historical ones are
                                  generally speaking going to be of higher status. For that matter,
                                  its pretty easy to claim membership in the Minamoto as the
                                  Minamoto were actively recruiting during the Genpei War. As
                                  the Minamoto claim descent from a collection of emperors, your
                                  self-made uji is unlikely to be classier. Similarly, another uji already
                                  has descent from Hachiman (the war god) all sewn up.

                                  > I am aware that the various uji were "fixed" during most of our
                                  > period, but given that we are "creative" and use constructed
                                  > surnames, etc, I feel it is reasonable to do the same for uji.

                                  I disagree.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007

                                    > Umm, from my understanding of the rules, all you really need for a
                                    > name is a given name and at least one byname. For that you can simply
                                    > choose a Family Name and a Given Name and you are good to go. There's
                                    > no need to 'create' an uji. If you are going to create anything, I'd
                                    > go for a Family Name, as those were more prevalent and easier to
                                    > construct. I guess I just don't see why you are trying to create an
                                    > uji.

                                    The College of Arms requires a minimum of two parts for anyone's name.
                                    However, if you are a male member of the Japanese buke (military class)
                                    from after the Genpei War, you should have a family name, a common
                                    name, and a nanori. Doing otherwise is pretty much ahistoric. You should
                                    also know which of the historical uji you claim descent from. This
                                    decision
                                    can have an effect on your common name.

                                    As for family names, they were being constructed all the time. In fact,
                                    people changed them during the course of their lives There are
                                    thousands of family names in Japan. But, most everyone claims descent
                                    from only about a dozen uji.