Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Looking for kashigata

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! I do not recommend using oil on your
      higashi molds. If you must oil, then use cannola oil. However,
      rice flour or powdered sugar should work quite well. Also, the
      ones we actually used were the ceramic type that I mentioned
      before.

      Incidentally, there are several types of molded "candy" in
      Japan. For example, manju are molded as well.

    • Luiseach@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
        DON'T use Sculpey or other polymer clays--they aren't food safe.

        Luighseach

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
          Many thanks for everyones help! I never thought of chocolate/candy
          molds. I found an article online with pictures of many beautiful
          kashigata made of wood (if anyone wants to drool along with me) at:

          http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/03/28/japanese-cake-mold/

          I'll try either the candy molds or pestering friends that can carve
          (although sad kitten eyes only go so far).

          Again, thanks!

          Kato Tatsuko

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
            > I'll try either the candy molds or pestering friends that can carve
            > (although sad kitten eyes only go so far).

            Good luck with that. I just came back from Japantown San Francisco and
            I DID look in the places that sold kitchen-y stuff, but did not see
            anything except the antique molds at Genji Antiques. (Plastic onigiri
            molds all over the place, but no kashigata.)

            However, and this is a head's up to Solveig-sensei, Asakichi
            http://www.asakichi.com/
            carries some tea- and incense-ceremony supplies. (If you would contact
            me off-list with your current mailing address, I have a very small
            "care package" for you, as promised.)

            While they do not have an online catalog, the proprietor assures me
            they would be happy to discuss products, orders and direct shipping.
            Their email contact can be found on this page:
            http://www.asakichi.com/contact.htm

          • Tsuruko
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
              Uwajimaya up here in Seattle carries some tea ceremony supplies. They have
              a website.

              YIS,

              Murakami Tsuruko

              An Tir, Barony of Dragon's Laire