Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Looking for kashigata

  • Luiseach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
      _https://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/default.asp_
      (https://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/default.asp) also had molds for different kinds of
      flowers and leaves, for the more traditionally minded.

      Luighseach

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! Yet again, someone is looking for an item I
        bought somewhere or
        other in Tokyo rather some time ago. Japanese candy molds have rather
        traditional
        shapes. They appear to be ceramic. My suggestion would be to try to
        make them for yourself.
        Carve whatever you are interested in and them mold clay around it.
        Fire the result and go to work.

      • Ellen Badgley
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007

          > Greetings from Solveig! Yet again, someone is looking for an item I
          > bought somewhere or
          > other in Tokyo rather some time ago. Japanese candy molds have rather
          > traditional
          > shapes. They appear to be ceramic. My suggestion would be to try to
          > make them for yourself.
          > Carve whatever you are interested in and them mold clay around it.
          > Fire the result and go to work.

          That would definitely work, and if you were to use Sculpey or
          something similar, it would be very easy to fire them at home. I have
          some of the ceramic molds that Lady Solveig is talking about.

          However, most traditional kashigata are actually carved out of wood
          (and may come in two or more parts, as that makes it a LOT easier to
          get the molded shapes out once you are done with them). There are
          some examples at http://www.shogunsgallery.com/Kashigata.htm. Antique
          or new wood kashigata tend to be expensive, unlike the mass-produced
          ceramic ones, but you can occasionally find them on eBay.

          Regardless of what you use, it's very important to put starch or some
          kind of oil in the mold so that the shapes release properly. (Modern
          plastic or silicone candy molds work best in this sense.) It is a
          very fiddly "science" and one that is hard to master (something I have
          not yet done) but they do look awesome if you get it right.

          - Abe Akirakeiko
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! I do not recommend using oil on your
            higashi molds. If you must oil, then use cannola oil. However,
            rice flour or powdered sugar should work quite well. Also, the
            ones we actually used were the ceramic type that I mentioned
            before.

            Incidentally, there are several types of molded "candy" in
            Japan. For example, manju are molded as well.

          • Luiseach@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
              DON'T use Sculpey or other polymer clays--they aren't food safe.

              Luighseach

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                Many thanks for everyones help! I never thought of chocolate/candy
                molds. I found an article online with pictures of many beautiful
                kashigata made of wood (if anyone wants to drool along with me) at:

                http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/03/28/japanese-cake-mold/

                I'll try either the candy molds or pestering friends that can carve
                (although sad kitten eyes only go so far).

                Again, thanks!

                Kato Tatsuko

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
                  > I'll try either the candy molds or pestering friends that can carve
                  > (although sad kitten eyes only go so far).

                  Good luck with that. I just came back from Japantown San Francisco and
                  I DID look in the places that sold kitchen-y stuff, but did not see
                  anything except the antique molds at Genji Antiques. (Plastic onigiri
                  molds all over the place, but no kashigata.)

                  However, and this is a head's up to Solveig-sensei, Asakichi
                  http://www.asakichi.com/
                  carries some tea- and incense-ceremony supplies. (If you would contact
                  me off-list with your current mailing address, I have a very small
                  "care package" for you, as promised.)

                  While they do not have an online catalog, the proprietor assures me
                  they would be happy to discuss products, orders and direct shipping.
                  Their email contact can be found on this page:
                  http://www.asakichi.com/contact.htm

                • Tsuruko
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                    Uwajimaya up here in Seattle carries some tea ceremony supplies. They have
                    a website.

                    YIS,

                    Murakami Tsuruko

                    An Tir, Barony of Dragon's Laire