Re: Looking for kashigata

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:

      > Greetings to all!
      >
      > I've decided to try my hand at various kinds of wagashi and am looking
      > for kashigata. Anyone know where I might find them (and not antique
      > ones at a ludicrous price) somewhere either in Canada or North
      > America? Also, has anyone made these before with success that might be
      > willing to share their secrets? Any help would be most appreciated.

      What about plastic candy molds for making chocolate?

      Ooh, monkeys....
      http://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=736

      Saionji no Hanae
      West
    • Luiseach@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
        _https://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/default.asp_
        (https://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/default.asp) also had molds for different kinds of
        flowers and leaves, for the more traditionally minded.

        Luighseach

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007

          Greetings from Solveig! Yet again, someone is looking for an item I
          bought somewhere or
          other in Tokyo rather some time ago. Japanese candy molds have rather
          traditional
          shapes. They appear to be ceramic. My suggestion would be to try to
          make them for yourself.
          Carve whatever you are interested in and them mold clay around it.
          Fire the result and go to work.

        • Ellen Badgley
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007

            > Greetings from Solveig! Yet again, someone is looking for an item I
            > bought somewhere or
            > other in Tokyo rather some time ago. Japanese candy molds have rather
            > traditional
            > shapes. They appear to be ceramic. My suggestion would be to try to
            > make them for yourself.
            > Carve whatever you are interested in and them mold clay around it.
            > Fire the result and go to work.

            That would definitely work, and if you were to use Sculpey or
            something similar, it would be very easy to fire them at home. I have
            some of the ceramic molds that Lady Solveig is talking about.

            However, most traditional kashigata are actually carved out of wood
            (and may come in two or more parts, as that makes it a LOT easier to
            get the molded shapes out once you are done with them). There are
            some examples at http://www.shogunsgallery.com/Kashigata.htm. Antique
            or new wood kashigata tend to be expensive, unlike the mass-produced
            ceramic ones, but you can occasionally find them on eBay.

            Regardless of what you use, it's very important to put starch or some
            kind of oil in the mold so that the shapes release properly. (Modern
            plastic or silicone candy molds work best in this sense.) It is a
            very fiddly "science" and one that is hard to master (something I have
            not yet done) but they do look awesome if you get it right.

            - Abe Akirakeiko
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007

              Greetings from Solveig! I do not recommend using oil on your
              higashi molds. If you must oil, then use cannola oil. However,
              rice flour or powdered sugar should work quite well. Also, the
              ones we actually used were the ceramic type that I mentioned
              before.

              Incidentally, there are several types of molded "candy" in
              Japan. For example, manju are molded as well.

            • Luiseach@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
                DON'T use Sculpey or other polymer clays--they aren't food safe.

                Luighseach

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                  Many thanks for everyones help! I never thought of chocolate/candy
                  molds. I found an article online with pictures of many beautiful
                  kashigata made of wood (if anyone wants to drool along with me) at:

                  http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/03/28/japanese-cake-mold/

                  I'll try either the candy molds or pestering friends that can carve
                  (although sad kitten eyes only go so far).

                  Again, thanks!

                  Kato Tatsuko

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
                    > I'll try either the candy molds or pestering friends that can carve
                    > (although sad kitten eyes only go so far).

                    Good luck with that. I just came back from Japantown San Francisco and
                    I DID look in the places that sold kitchen-y stuff, but did not see
                    anything except the antique molds at Genji Antiques. (Plastic onigiri
                    molds all over the place, but no kashigata.)

                    However, and this is a head's up to Solveig-sensei, Asakichi
                    http://www.asakichi.com/
                    carries some tea- and incense-ceremony supplies. (If you would contact
                    me off-list with your current mailing address, I have a very small
                    "care package" for you, as promised.)

                    While they do not have an online catalog, the proprietor assures me
                    they would be happy to discuss products, orders and direct shipping.
                    Their email contact can be found on this page:
                    http://www.asakichi.com/contact.htm

                  • Tsuruko
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                      Uwajimaya up here in Seattle carries some tea ceremony supplies. They have
                      a website.

                      YIS,

                      Murakami Tsuruko

                      An Tir, Barony of Dragon's Laire