Re: [SCA-JML] Re: mis-information?

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 6, 2007

      > One should also take into consideration that a katana/tachi would cost
      > the equivalent of 1-2 yrs salary and therefore NOT readily "handed
      > out" to conscripted ashigaru. The naginata would be similar in price.
      > The yari, on the other hand was relatively inexpensive in comparison
      > and much more effective and versatile in the hands of semi-skilled
      > fighters.
      What sort of army are you imagining? A feudal lord in Japan owed
      clothing to his retainers and a variety of payments and possibly land
      rights. However, we are talking about a system built essentially on
      mercenary troops with long-term and possibly hereditary contracts. We
      really are not discussing conscript troops. If anything, steps were
      taken at various times to limit entry into the military class.

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 7, 2007
        Okay, I think people need to stop and start defining their periods.
        As I see it, we have three general periods people are talking about:

        Heian-Kamakura

        Muromachi-Sengoku

        Edo

        > > While I agree on your assesment, for in fact is is very much like a
        > > wakizashi with an obscenely long handle, in period (prior to the
        > > fall of Osaka in 1615 anyhow) it was considered a spear. As a
        > > matter of fact pretty much all cutting or pokey pole weapons were
        > > in the general "spear" category, especially in the army lists.
        >
        > How do you support this contention? The dynamics of the two are
        > somewhat different and iconographic evidence does little to support
        > your contention.

        While Takeda can support this better than I, I believe that he is
        correct from a Sengoku period mindset, in that 'polearms' are
        generally lumped together as a single category (and I think it usually
        gets translated as 'spear').

        > Again you seem to be missing what I was writing. I contended that
        > spear or naginata was the primary weapon for most foot soldiers.
        > However, battle paintings will still show these soldiers wearing at
        > least one and possibly two swords. At least one sword is useful for
        > taking heads. Unit commanders are not really relying on swords. They
        > may wear them, but that is another matter. Also, lets get real, high
        > class folks such as Atsumori in Heike Monogatari go into battle with
        > bow and arrow.

        Dragging Atsumori into a discussion of massed spearmen seems to be
        really mixing your periods. With the rise of the ashigaru, the
        spearmen are certainly not high-ranking or highly paid. In fact, they
        are probably the lowest paid men in the army.

        Heck, even in the Mongol scrolls, though the naginata is a more
        'elegant' weapon, it would seem, those using it are generally dressed
        in retainer armour, indicating their lower status and, I would assume,
        lower pay. In that case the more 'expensive' troops have bows and,
        perhaps even more important, horses. Of course, during that period,
        you pretty much had to outfit yourself, it seems, so a sword would
        have been part of what you had.

        > > Check damage to extant armors, the accounts in the scrolls, and
        > > visual depictions, all of these contradict the view that spears
        > > were premier... everyone was using them, the scut troops almost
        > > exclusively.
        >
        > Actually, you see lots of spears in battle paintings. You also see
        > naginata. If anything, naginata have an almost ceremonial role as you
        > will see them held by retainers in headquarters units. For example, a
        > particularly famous painting of Takeda Shingen as I recall at least.
        > Also, earlier kuge guard units typically used naginata. Thus,
        > naginata has a certain panache. Again, I contended that swords were
        > secondary weapons. This agrees with what I have read, and what I have
        > observed in battle paintings.

        Okay, I think you misread him here. Takeda-dono pointed out that you
        see lots of spears in battle paintings. That's his contention--if
        everyone is using them, they aren't that rare. With such a flood of
        spearmen on the market, they aren't that valuable.

        Also, just because kuge guard units use the naginata doesn't mean it
        has panache--I don't see the logic in your argument. And where is
        your source for that?

        I apologize that I can't go tracking down my sources, as I need to get
        to work, but if this is still going when I get home, I'll start
        digging.

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 7, 2007
          Noble Cousins!

          > Okay, I think people need to stop and start defining their periods.
          > As I see it, we have three general periods people are talking about:

          Well, this is one of the things that has bothered me about some of
          the statements in this discussion. Takeda, I think it was, was
          generalizing all use prior to 1615. Considering that pre 1615
          includes Japanese implementations of classical Chinese armies,
          I am unwilling to buy into the generalization.

          > While Takeda can support this better than I, I believe that he is
          > correct from a Sengoku period mindset, in that 'polearms' are
          > generally lumped together as a single category (and I think it usually
          > gets translated as 'spear').

          Lots of people insist on translating "mochi" as "rice cake" and "katsuo"
          as "bonito" even though "rice cake" conjures up a completely
          different image and "katsuo" is really a skipjack (if I am recalling
          the fish correctly). Regardless, a naginata really isn't a spear.

          > Dragging Atsumori into a discussion of massed spearmen seems to be
          > really mixing your periods. With the rise of the ashigaru, the
          > spearmen are certainly not high-ranking or highly paid. In fact, they
          > are probably the lowest paid men in the army.

          The ashigaru were definitely low class and low paid. However, there
          was little if any specific mention of them either in the subject line or
          in the general discussion. The message which started this discussion
          reads:

          >> I was told this last night, since it's beocome known in our group
          >> I am into
          >> Japanese. It seems people are dredging up whatever they know and
          >> presenting it to me. Which is great because there is soooo much to
          >> learn.
          >> But some I have to wonder about.
          >>
          >> Is it true in period that spearmen were paid more than swordsmen?
          >> The reason given was there are only 16 basic sword moves/positions
          >> and there are 93 basic spear moves/positions. Also is there another
          >> name for a spear in period? I thought it was Yari but someone kept
          >> calling it a different name that I can't recall now.

          "Period" includes rather a LOT more than the Sengoku period. Further,
          simply talking about weapons forms covers a lot more than ashigaru.

        • sigrune@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 7, 2007
            Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> writes:

            >Takeda, I think it was, was generalizing
            >all use prior to 1615.
            Clarification: generalizing that spearmen were generally the lowest paid of troop types prior to 1615)

            >Considering that pre 1615 includes Japanese
            >implementations of classical Chinese armies,
            >I am unwilling to buy into the generalization.

            I personally feel that my original statement: that spear (and polearm troops) prior to 1615, including the Jomon and Nara periods were generally the lowest paid of all troop types, and that it is not until the Edo period in the 1700's that spearmen came to rate a premier pay position. I feel my statement holds true for any time prior to 1615, and if there are exceptions it would be of either extremely talented individuals (hired as spear instructors, which would not be a basic troop type) or people who used spears but were being paid more for societal rank, (again not a basic troop type)

            >Regardless, a naginata really isn't a spear.

            I agree, modernly a naginata is not a spear.
            Yari and naginata are polearms (arms having a pole) and will leave it at that.

            >There was little if any specific mention of them
            >either in the subject line or in the general discussion.
            >The message which started this discussion reads:
            >"Is it true in period that spearmen were paid
            >more than swordsmen?"

            And that is what I based my answer on... "In period", "spearmen", "swordsmen"; there is no mention of societal class. If you are going to critisize my answers please make sure you truly read the question and my answer, since it addressed each part of the question seperately.

            -Takeda
          • sigrune@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 7, 2007
              Solvieg writes:

              >Considering that pre 1615 includes Japanese implementations
              >of classical Chinese armies, I am unwilling to buy into the
              >generalization.

              Lady Solvieg,
              I do appologize if my last reply causes any offence to you, I replyed in the tone I took from your post, which was not the best thing for me to do.

              I would like to inquiry you about your above statement, in my own readings the ancient Imperial armies, based on the Chinese model had the largest portion of the ranks made of spearmen, though heavily supllimented by swordsmen. (and in that time, ones who may or were equiped with shields) Have you seen any evidence that the spearmen of the rank and file were higher paid, or of higher status that the swordsmen of the rank and file in those units? I have not seen such in my reading and research, though there is little that I have read that specifically talks about wages or recompense, either directly or by compairison of those of the rank and file in the early Imperial armies.

              Thanks,
              -Takeda
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 7, 2007

                > I would like to inquiry you about your above statement, in my own
                > readings the ancient Imperial armies, based on the Chinese model
                > had the largest portion of the ranks made of spearmen, though
                > heavily supllimented by swordsmen. (and in that time, ones who may
                > or were equiped with shields) Have you seen any evidence that the
                > spearmen of the rank and file were higher paid, or of higher status
                > that the swordsmen of the rank and file in those units? I have not
                > seen such in my reading and research, though there is little that I
                > have read that specifically talks about wages or recompense, either
                > directly or by compairison of those of the rank and file in the
                > early Imperial armies.
                The point I made in the posting to which you responded is that
                generalizing for all Japanese armies prior to 1615 is at best a huge
                leap of faith. During that period of time, the Japanese had a number
                of societal, governmental, and military systems. Earlier, someone
                objected to my mentioning Atsumori, but the problem is that simply
                saying pre 1615 allows not only for Atsumori, but the earlier Chinese-
                style armies which includes troops best attested to by the famous
                terra-cotta figures.

                Regardless, a bushi who has only a sword is poorly equipped.

              • James Eckman
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                  Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
                  > Lots of people insist on translating "mochi" as "rice cake" and "katsuo"
                  > as "bonito" even though "rice cake" conjures up a completely
                  > different image and "katsuo" is really a skipjack (if I am recalling
                  > the fish correctly).

                  Because bonito is one of it's other popular names. The problem with
                  using popular versus scientific names.

                  > Regardless, a naginata really isn't a spear.

                  Since it really doesn't have a western equivalent, it also gets called a
                  halberd sometimes. You could make a new word, pole-sword?

                  Jim Eckman
                • Date Saburou Yukiie
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                    My dear Solvieg-hime - you know I love you as a member of the family, and as a
                    scholar...but we should focus on things war-like, or not...
                    The warriors of this group have a lexicon, and a valued set of rules and postulates...
                    Your understanding of things Japanese is wonderful - but your focus is broad...
                    Those of us who refine our search for understanding into more finite terms, may (or may
                    not, as it were) have a view that encompasses a better outlook.
                    You, my dear, are not a soldier, nor could you ever be. You are too sweet. I would not even
                    like to see you don the garb of a soldier, nor would I hope to see you wear the clothes of
                    one who studies such.
                    When you step into the discussions of soldiers, you do not nec. have a soldiers point of
                    view.
                    We love you and your skill at research...but it is not the research of a soldier.
                    Date, your Clan brother...with all love and respect...

                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

                    > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
                    > > Lots of people insist on translating "mochi" as "rice cake" and "katsuo"
                    > > as "bonito" even though "rice cake" conjures up a completely
                    > > different image and "katsuo" is really a skipjack (if I am recalling
                    > > the fish correctly).
                    >
                    > Because bonito is one of it's other popular names. The problem with
                    > using popular versus scientific names.
                    >
                    > > Regardless, a naginata really isn't a spear.
                    >
                    > Since it really doesn't have a western equivalent, it also gets called a
                    > halberd sometimes. You could make a new word, pole-sword?
                    >
                    > Jim Eckman

                  • Park McKellop
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                      James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote: > Regardless, a naginata really isn't a spear.

                      Since it really doesn't have a western equivalent, it also gets called a
                      halberd sometimes. You could make a new word, pole-sword?

                      Jame Eckman
                      Glaive works pretty well.
                      Alcyoneus

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:
                        > Glaive works pretty well.
                        > Alcyoneus

                        Big Pointy Thing On A Stick....

                        There. I'll go back to being decorative now. ;-D

                        Saionji no Hanae
                        West
                      • Park McKellop
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                          In German, that would be Bigpointythingonastick.

                          ;)

                          Alcyoneus the Mostly Decorative

                          Or not. ;)

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 9, 2007
                            > Posted by: "Park McKellop"
                            > Since it really doesn't have a western equivalent, it also gets called a
                            > halberd sometimes. You could make a new word, pole-sword?
                            >
                            > Glaive works pretty well.
                            > Alcyoneus

                            True, I will use that word as the Western equivalent. Or
                            bigpointythingonastick ;)

                            Jim Eckman
                          • chasrmartin
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 10, 2007
                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

                              > > Posted by: "Park McKellop"
                              > > Since it really doesn't have a western equivalent, it also gets
                              called a
                              > > halberd sometimes. You could make a new word, pole-sword?
                              > >
                              > > Glaive works pretty well.
                              > > Alcyoneus
                              >
                              > True, I will use that word as the Western equivalent. Or
                              > bigpointythingonastick ;)

                              Glaive.

                              - Mugyo