Looking for kashigata

  • mistresschief
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
      Greetings to all!

      I've decided to try my hand at various kinds of wagashi and am looking
      for kashigata. Anyone know where I might find them (and not antique
      ones at a ludicrous price) somewhere either in Canada or North
      America? Also, has anyone made these before with success that might be
      willing to share their secrets? Any help would be most appreciated.

      My humble thanks!

      Kato Tatsuko
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:

        > Greetings to all!
        >
        > I've decided to try my hand at various kinds of wagashi and am looking
        > for kashigata. Anyone know where I might find them (and not antique
        > ones at a ludicrous price) somewhere either in Canada or North
        > America? Also, has anyone made these before with success that might be
        > willing to share their secrets? Any help would be most appreciated.

        What about plastic candy molds for making chocolate?

        Ooh, monkeys....
        http://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=736

        Saionji no Hanae
        West
      • Luiseach@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6, 2007
          _https://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/default.asp_
          (https://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/default.asp) also had molds for different kinds of
          flowers and leaves, for the more traditionally minded.

          Luighseach

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007

            Greetings from Solveig! Yet again, someone is looking for an item I
            bought somewhere or
            other in Tokyo rather some time ago. Japanese candy molds have rather
            traditional
            shapes. They appear to be ceramic. My suggestion would be to try to
            make them for yourself.
            Carve whatever you are interested in and them mold clay around it.
            Fire the result and go to work.

          • Ellen Badgley
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007

              > Greetings from Solveig! Yet again, someone is looking for an item I
              > bought somewhere or
              > other in Tokyo rather some time ago. Japanese candy molds have rather
              > traditional
              > shapes. They appear to be ceramic. My suggestion would be to try to
              > make them for yourself.
              > Carve whatever you are interested in and them mold clay around it.
              > Fire the result and go to work.

              That would definitely work, and if you were to use Sculpey or
              something similar, it would be very easy to fire them at home. I have
              some of the ceramic molds that Lady Solveig is talking about.

              However, most traditional kashigata are actually carved out of wood
              (and may come in two or more parts, as that makes it a LOT easier to
              get the molded shapes out once you are done with them). There are
              some examples at http://www.shogunsgallery.com/Kashigata.htm. Antique
              or new wood kashigata tend to be expensive, unlike the mass-produced
              ceramic ones, but you can occasionally find them on eBay.

              Regardless of what you use, it's very important to put starch or some
              kind of oil in the mold so that the shapes release properly. (Modern
              plastic or silicone candy molds work best in this sense.) It is a
              very fiddly "science" and one that is hard to master (something I have
              not yet done) but they do look awesome if you get it right.

              - Abe Akirakeiko
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007

                Greetings from Solveig! I do not recommend using oil on your
                higashi molds. If you must oil, then use cannola oil. However,
                rice flour or powdered sugar should work quite well. Also, the
                ones we actually used were the ceramic type that I mentioned
                before.

                Incidentally, there are several types of molded "candy" in
                Japan. For example, manju are molded as well.

              • Luiseach@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
                  DON'T use Sculpey or other polymer clays--they aren't food safe.

                  Luighseach

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                    Many thanks for everyones help! I never thought of chocolate/candy
                    molds. I found an article online with pictures of many beautiful
                    kashigata made of wood (if anyone wants to drool along with me) at:

                    http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/03/28/japanese-cake-mold/

                    I'll try either the candy molds or pestering friends that can carve
                    (although sad kitten eyes only go so far).

                    Again, thanks!

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mistresschief" <mistresschief@...> wrote:
                      > I'll try either the candy molds or pestering friends that can carve
                      > (although sad kitten eyes only go so far).

                      Good luck with that. I just came back from Japantown San Francisco and
                      I DID look in the places that sold kitchen-y stuff, but did not see
                      anything except the antique molds at Genji Antiques. (Plastic onigiri
                      molds all over the place, but no kashigata.)

                      However, and this is a head's up to Solveig-sensei, Asakichi
                      http://www.asakichi.com/
                      carries some tea- and incense-ceremony supplies. (If you would contact
                      me off-list with your current mailing address, I have a very small
                      "care package" for you, as promised.)

                      While they do not have an online catalog, the proprietor assures me
                      they would be happy to discuss products, orders and direct shipping.
                      Their email contact can be found on this page:
                      http://www.asakichi.com/contact.htm

                    • Tsuruko
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                        Uwajimaya up here in Seattle carries some tea ceremony supplies. They have
                        a website.

                        YIS,

                        Murakami Tsuruko

                        An Tir, Barony of Dragon's Laire