Re: [SCA-JML] Re: ladies undergarments

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
      On 9/4/07, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > It's called a kosode. The kosode eventually evolves from an
      > undergarment into an outer garment by becoming longer and more decorated.

      I think the decoration came first--there are some very decorative
      kosode that I have seen--for some of the open-sided men's garments
      there is obviously something under them with rather bright colors, and
      I think it is a kosode.

      > While I have no documentation of how far back other undergarments go
      > because they are not mentioned in court diaries, kosode are definitely
      > mentioned in this context. It was considered the height of intimacy to
      > trade kosode with a lover.

      Are you sure 'kosode' rather than 'hitoe'? 'Hitoe' was usually
      considered the 'bottom' layer as I've seen it, although a kosode was
      worn underneath. Some of the other undergarments for the Heian period
      are the various sweat-wicking garments, which look like collars or
      hitoe. Not sure about fundoshi, though.

      > Re the Folkwear patterns, they are based on kimono worn well after the
      > SCA period. You might want to have a look at my web page to see what
      > the differences are. http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

      I second this--look through Saionji-hime's stuff. She's a great resource!

      > The Japanese did not have flax linen in our period, but they did have
      > hemp which has similar properties. Period fabrics averaged about 16 to
      > 17" in width. (Modern kimono are more like 14", which is why you may
      > have to tinker with Folkwear's measurements to get a period silhouette).

      The Japanese costume book I have specifically has widths of 45~45.5
      cm. _However_, I've noticed they didn't use it all, depending on the
      garment. I'd say the 16" to 17" isn't a bad number to use for most
      things.

      > I use a running stitch, then fold the raw edges of the seam in against
      > each other and whip stitch them together. This is not "correct" as
      > Japanese textiles would not have required the seam finish, but it
      > works well with fabrics that do require a seam finish to prevent
      > ravelling.

      Even with the selvedge, you usually turn over the edges, but the
      piecing seems to be done as above.

      > While I cannot document anything specifically, I will tell you that
      > there is no problem in Japanese dress that cannot be solved by a
      > random strip of fabric. Belly bands were used for support during
      > pregnancy - and one sometimes sees belly wrapping for warmth on men. I
      > suppose one could make a case for using a similar wrapping for breast
      > support, if needed, but I can't confirm it.

      I could swear I've seen such a thing as a breast support device in
      modern Japanese jidai-geki, but I can't think of a period
      example--I'll look, though.

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007

        Greetings from Solveig! The major problem with undergarments is that
        the Costume Museum pretty much doesn't show them. These are garments
        which pretty much do not peep out from under over garments.
        Consequently, we can either choose to replicate recent wafuku
        undergarments or rely on the very small number of images which show
        people relatively undressed. Not a lot survives in part because most
        Japanese were being cremated. So, we do not have a lot of grave goods
        for much of our period of interest.

        I know what is worn under traditional wafuku. For women, these
        include three undergarments which are not visible once you have all
        of your clothing on. There are also a bunch of himo and what naught
        that are not seen.

      • Dean Wayland
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 14, 2007
          Greetings All,

          For anyone here interested in learning Japanese, on-line dictionaries
          like that of Jim Bream's. are invaluable. However today I stumbled
          across a very useful Japanese web site in English, that I thought may be
          of interest to the members of this list:

          http://www.saiga-jp.com

          The above link will take you to the home page of an on-line store called
          "SAIGA". Once there, if you scroll down the menu at the left, you will
          come across four links to pages headed "Japanese Learning".

          The following is linked off the "KANJI Dictionary" page and is a
          complete list of the KANJI used in daily life, and includes a search
          tool:

          http://www.saiga-jp.com/language/kanji_list.html

          The following is a link to the help page detailing their instructions
          for using their search tool.

          http://www.saiga-jp.com/dictionary_help.html

          Anyway, if you haven't come across this site before I hope you all find
          it as useful as I think we over here will do.

          All the best

          Dean

          --
          Dean Wayland

          Main Page:
          http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
          SHOUGUN Home Page
          http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm
        • Jason Lewis
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 14, 2007
            I use http://www.kanjisite.com too. That one has most likely been posted 100
            time.

            Takamatsu Muneaki

          • David Nesmith
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 14, 2007
              I get lots of ????????????. How do I see the kanji? Especially since that is the very purpose of the site.

              scratching his head,
              Ishikawa Moritake

              Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote: Greetings All,

[...]

            • Brook West
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 16, 2007
                Moritake-san -- You need to install a Japanese font on your computer.
                WinXP, Win2000, and recent versions of MS Office include Japanese
                fonts. I prefer Mincho, but MS Gothic works fine, too.

                Go to the "regional and language options" control panel and add
                Japanese or "east asian language support" (depending on which version
                of Windoze you use). You'll need the Windows install disk -- click
                okay and it Windows will install the fonts and such from the CD.

                If you've got a Mac of Linux, I expect the process is similar but I
                don't know the details.

                Gambatte, ne -- Tanukibayashi Kumao

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

                > I get lots of ????????????. How do I see the kanji? Especially
                since that is the very purpose of the site.

                > scratching his head,
                > Ishikawa Moritake
                >
                > Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote:
                Greetings All,

                > For anyone here interested in learning Japanese, on-line
                dictionaries
                > like that of Jim Bream's. are invaluable. However today I stumbled
                > across a very useful Japanese web site in English, that I thought
                may be
                > of interest to the members of this list:
                >
                > http://www.saiga-jp.com
                >
                > The above link will take you to the home page of an on-line store
                called
                > "SAIGA". Once there, if you scroll down the menu at the left, you
                will
                > come across four links to pages headed "Japanese Learning".
                >
                > The following is linked off the "KANJI Dictionary" page and is a
                > complete list of the KANJI used in daily life, and includes a
                search
                > tool:
                >
                > http://www.saiga-jp.com/language/kanji_list.html
                >
                > The following is a link to the help page detailing their
                instructions
                > for using their search tool.
                >
                > http://www.saiga-jp.com/dictionary_help.html
                >
                > Anyway, if you haven't come across this site before I hope you all
                find
                > it as useful as I think we over here will do.
                >
                > All the best
                >
                > Dean
                >
                > --
                > Dean Wayland
                >
                > Main Page:
                > http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
                > SHOUGUN Home Page
                > http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm

              • Date Saburou Yukiie
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Brook West" <kitsune@...> wrote:

                  > Moritake-san -- You need to install a Japanese font on your computer.
                  > WinXP, Win2000, and recent versions of MS Office include Japanese
                  > fonts. I prefer Mincho, but MS Gothic works fine, too.
                  >
                  > Go to the "regional and language options" control panel and add
                  > Japanese or "east asian language support" (depending on which version
                  > of Windoze you use). You'll need the Windows install disk -- click
                  > okay and it Windows will install the fonts and such from the CD.
                  >
                  > If you've got a Mac of Linux, I expect the process is similar but I
                  > don't know the details.
                  >
                  > Gambatte, ne -- Tanukibayashi Kumao
                  .co.uk
                  > > SHOUGUN Home Page
                  > > http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm

                  This subject came up on SA a little while back. Below is what I posted which seemed to
                  help.
                  Quote:
                  If you are using a Mac, you need a Japanese Language kit and can get info about that
                  probably on Apple's Mac website.

                  I run both systems, and must say that the Mac is somewhat easier to work with than the
                  Microsuck IME.
                  It also comes with the OS now (OS9+ and OSX) and need only be installed. I was pissed
                  back in the day, because I purchased an expensive Japanese Language Kit and installed it
                  back when I ran OS8, and the very next OS had it built right in! GRR!!!
                  There are some differences in how each work, and the coding can be different. Especially if
                  you build web pages with two-byte characters like kanji.
                  For some reason, UTF8 and UTF16 are not fully supported in either editor, but I can say
                  with the Mac, that the integration seems to be much easier and more intuitive to use.
                  Once running, kanji can be placed in line, with a simple keystroke, and copied to the
                  clipboard. I have folders labled in Japanese and Chinese (Chinese is just as easy on a Mac),
                  and nearly every program (including those from adobe) seems to be able to handle the
                  kanji.
                  For the Microsuc IME, look here for instructions on implementation.
                  http://www.declan-software.com/japanese_ime/
                  The declan site is trying to sell you software, but the instructions are top-notch and
                  useful.

                  I found some more useful info for the Mac users of Asian fonts.
                  http://redcocoon.org/cab/mysoft.html
                  and

                  Date
                  _____
                • Chris St. Pierre
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
                    Greetings, I am seeking some help finding a family/clan name as I am changing my persona over from german to japanese as I simply have more interest in feudal japan then medival europe.

                    Now, I've found my given name of Yoritomo on a SCA heraldry site, though I cannot remember which atm. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

                    Thanks in advance
                    Severin Von Stroheim
                    the soon to be
                    Something or another Yoritomo

                  • Jason Lewis
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
                      it is Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth, but there is a nice list of
                      clan names at

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clans

                      This might help you in choosing a period clan name.

                      Takamatsu Muneaki

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Chris St. Pierre" <Kakita_Kuroi@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Greetings, I am seeking some help finding a family/clan name as I am
                        changing my persona over from german to japanese as I simply have more
                        interest in feudal japan then medival europe.

                        > Now, I've found my given name of Yoritomo on a SCA heraldry site,
                        though I cannot remember which atm. Can anyone point me in the
                        correct direction?

                        Try http://www.sengokudaimyo.com and go into the "book" titled "An
                        Online Japanese Miscellany." There's a whole section on names in there.

                      • Dean Wayland
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007
                          Takamatsu-sama,

                          I've obviously missed the kanjisite.com when it's been posted before,
                          thanks, I've added it to my links page.

                          All the best

                          Dean

                          In message
                          <736f4cc60709140930v1f4a7e7ei90a864a9dc5a66c7@...>, Jason
                          Lewis <jason.lewis@...> writes

                          >I use http://www.kanjisite.com too. That one has most likely been posted
                          >100
                          >time.
                          >
                          >Takamatsu Muneaki

                          Dean Wayland
                          Head Of The Fight School
                          http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
                        • James Eckman
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007
                            Jim Breen's online dictionary:
                            http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

                            Jim Breen's Japanese page:
                            http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japanese.html

                            Updated on a frequent basis and the best site for getting all info on
                            Japanese and PCs. Nothing's for sale either so you get the straight scoop.

                            Jim
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007

                              Greetings from Solveig! Yoritomo was one of the very famous Minamoto
                              of the Genpei War.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007

                                Greetings from Solveig! While the wikipedia site does not make me
                                gag, I do
                                not recommend it as there are problems with convolving uji with han.
                                These
                                are two entirely different entities. The uji continued in use all the
                                way up to
                                the 19th century. Very technically, if you are a member of the
                                military class,
                                then you would most likely have both a family name "myoji" and a clan
                                name "uji". While you might not generally use the name of the clan, you
                                would still know what it was and it would be recorded in certain
                                documents
                                at least as late as the 19th century.

                                NOTE. What the wikipedia site is calling "medieval clans" are
                                actually han.
                                These are not properly clans and should not be used for
                                names
                                except as family names. Even if you are Tokugawa Ieyasu or
                                Oda Nobunaga, you will have a separate uji name. The
                                one and
                                only one late period exception to this is the Toyotomi.
                                Incidentally,
                                nobody should include Toyotomi in their name as there
                                were too
                                few of them.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007

                                  > Try http://www.sengokudaimyo.com and go into the "book" titled "An
                                  > Online Japanese Miscellany." There's a whole section on names in
                                  > there.
                                  You might also try consulting with your local herald. Your local
                                  herald may
                                  know someone nearby who has a copy of Name Construction in
                                  Medieval Japan which is a somewhat modest pamphlet on pre-1601
                                  Japanese names.

                                • Furukusu Masahide (Taliesin)
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007
                                    Ohayo Yoritomo-dono,

                                    I happen to be a herald and have a copy of the suggested reference.
                                    If you would like me to assist you with formulating a Japanese name
                                    with documentation for submission and registration, feel free to
                                    contact me off list: masahide at summerscauldron.com.

                                    Furukusu Masahide

                                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir

                                    <snip>

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007
                                      Greetings,

                                      Can you recommend any reading or sources for guidelines for
                                      fomulating a uji name? I have referenced "Name Consturction in
                                      Medieval Japan" and while it discusses where the uji came from,
                                      their use, and provides some information on how some uji names
                                      derived from the Chinese reading of the family name's kanji, it does
                                      not offer any advice on cronstruction of new uji names.

                                      I am aware that the various uji were "fixed" during most of our
                                      period, but given that we are "creative" and use constructed
                                      surnames, etc, I feel it is reasonable to do the same for uji. From
                                      a use perspective, this may be fairly simple. I am however also
                                      interested in a "registration with the College of Arms" perspective
                                      which puts certain restrictions on form (i.e. two name elements,
                                      approved household or clan designator, etc).

                                      <nostrand@...> wrote:

                                      > Noble Cousins!
                                      >
                                      > Greetings from Solveig! While the wikipedia site does not make me
                                      > gag, I do
                                      > not recommend it as there are problems with convolving uji with
                                      han.
                                      > These
                                      > are two entirely different entities. The uji continued in use all
                                      the
                                      > way up to
                                      > the 19th century. Very technically, if you are a member of the
                                      > military class,
                                      > then you would most likely have both a family name "myoji" and a
                                      clan
                                      > name "uji". While you might not generally use the name of the
                                      clan, you
                                      > would still know what it was and it would be recorded in certain
                                      > documents
                                      > at least as late as the 19th century.
                                      >
                                      > NOTE. What the wikipedia site is calling "medieval clans" are
                                      > actually han.
                                      > These are not properly clans and should not be used
                                      for
                                      > names
                                      > except as family names. Even if you are Tokugawa
                                      Ieyasu or
                                      > Oda Nobunaga, you will have a separate uji name.
                                      The
                                      > one and
                                      > only one late period exception to this is the
                                      Toyotomi.
                                      > Incidentally,
                                      > nobody should include Toyotomi in their name as
                                      there
                                      > were too
                                      > few of them.
                                      >
                                      > Your Humble Servant
                                      > Solveig Throndardottir
                                      > Amateur Scholar
                                    • JL Badgley
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007
                                        On 9/20/07, Furukusu Masahide (Taliesin) <masahide@...> wrote:

                                        > Can you recommend any reading or sources for guidelines for
                                        > fomulating a uji name? I have referenced "Name Consturction in
                                        > Medieval Japan" and while it discusses where the uji came from,
                                        > their use, and provides some information on how some uji names
                                        > derived from the Chinese reading of the family name's kanji, it does
                                        > not offer any advice on cronstruction of new uji names.
                                        >
                                        > I am aware that the various uji were "fixed" during most of our
                                        > period, but given that we are "creative" and use constructed
                                        > surnames, etc, I feel it is reasonable to do the same for uji. From
                                        > a use perspective, this may be fairly simple. I am however also
                                        > interested in a "registration with the College of Arms" perspective
                                        > which puts certain restrictions on form (i.e. two name elements,
                                        > approved household or clan designator, etc).

                                        Umm, from my understanding of the rules, all you really need for a
                                        name is a given name and at least one byname. For that you can simply
                                        choose a Family Name and a Given Name and you are good to go. There's
                                        no need to 'create' an uji. If you are going to create anything, I'd
                                        go for a Family Name, as those were more prevalent and easier to
                                        construct. I guess I just don't see why you are trying to create an
                                        uji.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007

                                          > Can you recommend any reading or sources for guidelines for
                                          > fomulating a uji name?

                                          Starting around 700 CE the emperor obtained control over the
                                          creation of new uji. Thus, creating new uji names is ahistorical
                                          unless you are recreating essentially prehistoric Japan. The
                                          situation with uji is actually worse than I suggest as most of the
                                          uji pretty much died out. Further, there is really little good reason
                                          to claim membership in a created uji as the historical ones are
                                          generally speaking going to be of higher status. For that matter,
                                          its pretty easy to claim membership in the Minamoto as the
                                          Minamoto were actively recruiting during the Genpei War. As
                                          the Minamoto claim descent from a collection of emperors, your
                                          self-made uji is unlikely to be classier. Similarly, another uji already
                                          has descent from Hachiman (the war god) all sewn up.

                                          > I am aware that the various uji were "fixed" during most of our
                                          > period, but given that we are "creative" and use constructed
                                          > surnames, etc, I feel it is reasonable to do the same for uji.

                                          I disagree.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007

                                            > Umm, from my understanding of the rules, all you really need for a
                                            > name is a given name and at least one byname. For that you can simply
                                            > choose a Family Name and a Given Name and you are good to go. There's
                                            > no need to 'create' an uji. If you are going to create anything, I'd
                                            > go for a Family Name, as those were more prevalent and easier to
                                            > construct. I guess I just don't see why you are trying to create an
                                            > uji.

                                            The College of Arms requires a minimum of two parts for anyone's name.
                                            However, if you are a male member of the Japanese buke (military class)
                                            from after the Genpei War, you should have a family name, a common
                                            name, and a nanori. Doing otherwise is pretty much ahistoric. You should
                                            also know which of the historical uji you claim descent from. This
                                            decision
                                            can have an effect on your common name.

                                            As for family names, they were being constructed all the time. In fact,
                                            people changed them during the course of their lives There are
                                            thousands of family names in Japan. But, most everyone claims descent
                                            from only about a dozen uji.