Re: ladies undergarments

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "rosenau5" <rosenau5@...> wrote:
      > I've been reading some of the old messages and all the working
      > links from the FAQ but I still have some questions about body
      > linens, ie the very first layer next to the skin, for a woman who
      > could afford such undergarments.

      It's called a kosode. The kosode eventually evolves from an
      undergarment into an outer garment by becoming longer and more decorated.

      While I have no documentation of how far back other undergarments go
      because they are not mentioned in court diaries, kosode are definitely
      mentioned in this context. It was considered the height of intimacy to
      trade kosode with a lover.

      Re the Folkwear patterns, they are based on kimono worn well after the
      SCA period. You might want to have a look at my web page to see what
      the differences are. http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

      The Japanese did not have flax linen in our period, but they did have
      hemp which has similar properties. Period fabrics averaged about 16 to
      17" in width. (Modern kimono are more like 14", which is why you may
      have to tinker with Folkwear's measurements to get a period silhouette).

      > Once I have my pretend selvedges how do I
      > seam them together?

      I use a running stitch, then fold the raw edges of the seam in against
      each other and whip stitch them together. This is not "correct" as
      Japanese textiles would not have required the seam finish, but it
      works well with fabrics that do require a seam finish to prevent
      ravelling.

      > How long is the undergarment if it's worn under
      > walking length hakama or alone or a wrap skirt? Does it need as
      > wide an overlap/underlap as a furosode?
      Furisode do not exist until after our period. Make your undergarment
      kosode ankle length. Make the overlap. Make the sleeves the exact same
      size as the sleeves of whatever you're going to wear over it.

      Sleeve shape, size and attachment for period kosode is discussed at my
      web page.

      > Which class is hakama appropriate underclothing for women? Were
      > they always red? Were either garments supposed to show when you
      > were dressed to go out?
      Nagabakama were worn by the nobility. They were most often red, but
      could sometimes be darker colors. If you look at these images from the
      Kyoto Costume Museum, they definitely are visible - and are supposed
      to be.
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/wayou/images/15-a.gif (white over dark
      brown or black)
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/wayou/images/19-a.gif (classic red)
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/wayo_img/12-a.gif (burgundy)

      While I cannot document anything specifically, I will tell you that
      there is no problem in Japanese dress that cannot be solved by a
      random strip of fabric. Belly bands were used for support during
      pregnancy - and one sometimes sees belly wrapping for warmth on men. I
      suppose one could make a case for using a similar wrapping for breast
      support, if needed, but I can't confirm it.

      Hope this gets you started.

      > I'm looking at a married, middle-aged woman with living children
      > presentation but I'm not set on a class or rank yet. The idea of
      > hakama as underwear appeals to me on a personal leve but that is
      > just whimsy, not a necessity for my persona development.
      > I was also gifted a box of Kona Bay cottons. I know they are
      > quilting cottons and cotton was expensive in period but they are
      > pretty and not all of them are on black. Some of the flowers and
      > koi are huge. I have one that the koi are a full foot long. Did
      > the Japanese do any applique in period? Just a thought for a little
      > later in the wardrobe development.
      > I'm on digest so if anyone wants to answer directly they can. I
      > have an entire day to sew tomorrow so I'll check the list homepage
      > tomorrow before I start and hopefully have my cutting out done by
      > the end of the day. My mom always said to start the day wearing
      > clean underwear. I don't think she meant for me to make my own...
      > but it does give me a chance to experiment. :)
      > Thanks for any and all help.
      > Cheers
      > Cassandra

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 4, 2007
        On 9/4/07, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

        > It's called a kosode. The kosode eventually evolves from an
        > undergarment into an outer garment by becoming longer and more decorated.

        I think the decoration came first--there are some very decorative
        kosode that I have seen--for some of the open-sided men's garments
        there is obviously something under them with rather bright colors, and
        I think it is a kosode.

        > While I have no documentation of how far back other undergarments go
        > because they are not mentioned in court diaries, kosode are definitely
        > mentioned in this context. It was considered the height of intimacy to
        > trade kosode with a lover.

        Are you sure 'kosode' rather than 'hitoe'? 'Hitoe' was usually
        considered the 'bottom' layer as I've seen it, although a kosode was
        worn underneath. Some of the other undergarments for the Heian period
        are the various sweat-wicking garments, which look like collars or
        hitoe. Not sure about fundoshi, though.

        > Re the Folkwear patterns, they are based on kimono worn well after the
        > SCA period. You might want to have a look at my web page to see what
        > the differences are. http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

        I second this--look through Saionji-hime's stuff. She's a great resource!

        > The Japanese did not have flax linen in our period, but they did have
        > hemp which has similar properties. Period fabrics averaged about 16 to
        > 17" in width. (Modern kimono are more like 14", which is why you may
        > have to tinker with Folkwear's measurements to get a period silhouette).

        The Japanese costume book I have specifically has widths of 45~45.5
        cm. _However_, I've noticed they didn't use it all, depending on the
        garment. I'd say the 16" to 17" isn't a bad number to use for most
        things.

        > I use a running stitch, then fold the raw edges of the seam in against
        > each other and whip stitch them together. This is not "correct" as
        > Japanese textiles would not have required the seam finish, but it
        > works well with fabrics that do require a seam finish to prevent
        > ravelling.

        Even with the selvedge, you usually turn over the edges, but the
        piecing seems to be done as above.

        > While I cannot document anything specifically, I will tell you that
        > there is no problem in Japanese dress that cannot be solved by a
        > random strip of fabric. Belly bands were used for support during
        > pregnancy - and one sometimes sees belly wrapping for warmth on men. I
        > suppose one could make a case for using a similar wrapping for breast
        > support, if needed, but I can't confirm it.

        I could swear I've seen such a thing as a breast support device in
        modern Japanese jidai-geki, but I can't think of a period
        example--I'll look, though.

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 6, 2007
          Noble Cousins!

          Greetings from Solveig! The major problem with undergarments is that
          the Costume Museum pretty much doesn't show them. These are garments
          which pretty much do not peep out from under over garments.
          Consequently, we can either choose to replicate recent wafuku
          undergarments or rely on the very small number of images which show
          people relatively undressed. Not a lot survives in part because most
          Japanese were being cremated. So, we do not have a lot of grave goods
          for much of our period of interest.

          I know what is worn under traditional wafuku. For women, these
          include three undergarments which are not visible once you have all
          of your clothing on. There are also a bunch of himo and what naught
          that are not seen.

        • Dean Wayland
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 14, 2007
            Greetings All,

            For anyone here interested in learning Japanese, on-line dictionaries
            like that of Jim Bream's. are invaluable. However today I stumbled
            across a very useful Japanese web site in English, that I thought may be
            of interest to the members of this list:

            http://www.saiga-jp.com

            The above link will take you to the home page of an on-line store called
            "SAIGA". Once there, if you scroll down the menu at the left, you will
            come across four links to pages headed "Japanese Learning".

            The following is linked off the "KANJI Dictionary" page and is a
            complete list of the KANJI used in daily life, and includes a search
            tool:

            http://www.saiga-jp.com/language/kanji_list.html

            The following is a link to the help page detailing their instructions
            for using their search tool.

            http://www.saiga-jp.com/dictionary_help.html

            Anyway, if you haven't come across this site before I hope you all find
            it as useful as I think we over here will do.

            All the best

            Dean

            --
            Dean Wayland

            Main Page:
            http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
            SHOUGUN Home Page
            http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm
          • Jason Lewis
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 14, 2007
              I use http://www.kanjisite.com too. That one has most likely been posted 100
              time.

              Takamatsu Muneaki

            • David Nesmith
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 14, 2007
                I get lots of ????????????. How do I see the kanji? Especially since that is the very purpose of the site.

                scratching his head,
                Ishikawa Moritake

                Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote: Greetings All,

[...]

              • Brook West
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 16, 2007
                  Moritake-san -- You need to install a Japanese font on your computer.
                  WinXP, Win2000, and recent versions of MS Office include Japanese
                  fonts. I prefer Mincho, but MS Gothic works fine, too.

                  Go to the "regional and language options" control panel and add
                  Japanese or "east asian language support" (depending on which version
                  of Windoze you use). You'll need the Windows install disk -- click
                  okay and it Windows will install the fonts and such from the CD.

                  If you've got a Mac of Linux, I expect the process is similar but I
                  don't know the details.

                  Gambatte, ne -- Tanukibayashi Kumao

                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

                  > I get lots of ????????????. How do I see the kanji? Especially
                  since that is the very purpose of the site.

                  > scratching his head,
                  > Ishikawa Moritake
                  >
                  > Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote:
                  Greetings All,

                  > For anyone here interested in learning Japanese, on-line
                  dictionaries
                  > like that of Jim Bream's. are invaluable. However today I stumbled
                  > across a very useful Japanese web site in English, that I thought
                  may be
                  > of interest to the members of this list:
                  >
                  > http://www.saiga-jp.com
                  >
                  > The above link will take you to the home page of an on-line store
                  called
                  > "SAIGA". Once there, if you scroll down the menu at the left, you
                  will
                  > come across four links to pages headed "Japanese Learning".
                  >
                  > The following is linked off the "KANJI Dictionary" page and is a
                  > complete list of the KANJI used in daily life, and includes a
                  search
                  > tool:
                  >
                  > http://www.saiga-jp.com/language/kanji_list.html
                  >
                  > The following is a link to the help page detailing their
                  instructions
                  > for using their search tool.
                  >
                  > http://www.saiga-jp.com/dictionary_help.html
                  >
                  > Anyway, if you haven't come across this site before I hope you all
                  find
                  > it as useful as I think we over here will do.
                  >
                  > All the best
                  >
                  > Dean
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dean Wayland
                  >
                  > Main Page:
                  > http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
                  > SHOUGUN Home Page
                  > http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm

                • Date Saburou Yukiie
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Brook West" <kitsune@...> wrote:

                    > Moritake-san -- You need to install a Japanese font on your computer.
                    > WinXP, Win2000, and recent versions of MS Office include Japanese
                    > fonts. I prefer Mincho, but MS Gothic works fine, too.
                    >
                    > Go to the "regional and language options" control panel and add
                    > Japanese or "east asian language support" (depending on which version
                    > of Windoze you use). You'll need the Windows install disk -- click
                    > okay and it Windows will install the fonts and such from the CD.
                    >
                    > If you've got a Mac of Linux, I expect the process is similar but I
                    > don't know the details.
                    >
                    > Gambatte, ne -- Tanukibayashi Kumao
                    .co.uk
                    > > SHOUGUN Home Page
                    > > http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm

                    This subject came up on SA a little while back. Below is what I posted which seemed to
                    help.
                    Quote:
                    If you are using a Mac, you need a Japanese Language kit and can get info about that
                    probably on Apple's Mac website.

                    I run both systems, and must say that the Mac is somewhat easier to work with than the
                    Microsuck IME.
                    It also comes with the OS now (OS9+ and OSX) and need only be installed. I was pissed
                    back in the day, because I purchased an expensive Japanese Language Kit and installed it
                    back when I ran OS8, and the very next OS had it built right in! GRR!!!
                    There are some differences in how each work, and the coding can be different. Especially if
                    you build web pages with two-byte characters like kanji.
                    For some reason, UTF8 and UTF16 are not fully supported in either editor, but I can say
                    with the Mac, that the integration seems to be much easier and more intuitive to use.
                    Once running, kanji can be placed in line, with a simple keystroke, and copied to the
                    clipboard. I have folders labled in Japanese and Chinese (Chinese is just as easy on a Mac),
                    and nearly every program (including those from adobe) seems to be able to handle the
                    kanji.
                    For the Microsuc IME, look here for instructions on implementation.
                    http://www.declan-software.com/japanese_ime/
                    The declan site is trying to sell you software, but the instructions are top-notch and
                    useful.

                    I found some more useful info for the Mac users of Asian fonts.
                    http://redcocoon.org/cab/mysoft.html
                    and

                    Date
                    _____
                  • Chris St. Pierre
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
                      Greetings, I am seeking some help finding a family/clan name as I am changing my persona over from german to japanese as I simply have more interest in feudal japan then medival europe.

                      Now, I've found my given name of Yoritomo on a SCA heraldry site, though I cannot remember which atm. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

                      Thanks in advance
                      Severin Von Stroheim
                      the soon to be
                      Something or another Yoritomo

                    • Jason Lewis
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
                        it is Wikipedia so take it for what it's worth, but there is a nice list of
                        clan names at

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clans

                        This might help you in choosing a period clan name.

                        Takamatsu Muneaki

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 17, 2007
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Chris St. Pierre" <Kakita_Kuroi@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Greetings, I am seeking some help finding a family/clan name as I am
                          changing my persona over from german to japanese as I simply have more
                          interest in feudal japan then medival europe.

                          > Now, I've found my given name of Yoritomo on a SCA heraldry site,
                          though I cannot remember which atm. Can anyone point me in the
                          correct direction?

                          Try http://www.sengokudaimyo.com and go into the "book" titled "An
                          Online Japanese Miscellany." There's a whole section on names in there.

                        • Dean Wayland
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007
                            Takamatsu-sama,

                            I've obviously missed the kanjisite.com when it's been posted before,
                            thanks, I've added it to my links page.

                            All the best

                            Dean

                            In message
                            <736f4cc60709140930v1f4a7e7ei90a864a9dc5a66c7@...>, Jason
                            Lewis <jason.lewis@...> writes

                            >I use http://www.kanjisite.com too. That one has most likely been posted
                            >100
                            >time.
                            >
                            >Takamatsu Muneaki

                            Dean Wayland
                            Head Of The Fight School
                            http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
                          • James Eckman
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007
                              Jim Breen's online dictionary:
                              http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

                              Jim Breen's Japanese page:
                              http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japanese.html

                              Updated on a frequent basis and the best site for getting all info on
                              Japanese and PCs. Nothing's for sale either so you get the straight scoop.

                              Jim
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007
                                Noble Cousin!

                                Greetings from Solveig! Yoritomo was one of the very famous Minamoto
                                of the Genpei War.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007
                                  Noble Cousins!

                                  Greetings from Solveig! While the wikipedia site does not make me
                                  gag, I do
                                  not recommend it as there are problems with convolving uji with han.
                                  These
                                  are two entirely different entities. The uji continued in use all the
                                  way up to
                                  the 19th century. Very technically, if you are a member of the
                                  military class,
                                  then you would most likely have both a family name "myoji" and a clan
                                  name "uji". While you might not generally use the name of the clan, you
                                  would still know what it was and it would be recorded in certain
                                  documents
                                  at least as late as the 19th century.

                                  NOTE. What the wikipedia site is calling "medieval clans" are
                                  actually han.
                                  These are not properly clans and should not be used for
                                  names
                                  except as family names. Even if you are Tokugawa Ieyasu or
                                  Oda Nobunaga, you will have a separate uji name. The
                                  one and
                                  only one late period exception to this is the Toyotomi.
                                  Incidentally,
                                  nobody should include Toyotomi in their name as there
                                  were too
                                  few of them.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 18, 2007

                                    > Try http://www.sengokudaimyo.com and go into the "book" titled "An
                                    > Online Japanese Miscellany." There's a whole section on names in
                                    > there.
                                    You might also try consulting with your local herald. Your local
                                    herald may
                                    know someone nearby who has a copy of Name Construction in
                                    Medieval Japan which is a somewhat modest pamphlet on pre-1601
                                    Japanese names.

                                  • Furukusu Masahide (Taliesin)
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007
                                      Ohayo Yoritomo-dono,

                                      I happen to be a herald and have a copy of the suggested reference.
                                      If you would like me to assist you with formulating a Japanese name
                                      with documentation for submission and registration, feel free to
                                      contact me off list: masahide at summerscauldron.com.

                                      Furukusu Masahide

                                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir

                                      <snip>

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007
                                        Greetings,

                                        Can you recommend any reading or sources for guidelines for
                                        fomulating a uji name? I have referenced "Name Consturction in
                                        Medieval Japan" and while it discusses where the uji came from,
                                        their use, and provides some information on how some uji names
                                        derived from the Chinese reading of the family name's kanji, it does
                                        not offer any advice on cronstruction of new uji names.

                                        I am aware that the various uji were "fixed" during most of our
                                        period, but given that we are "creative" and use constructed
                                        surnames, etc, I feel it is reasonable to do the same for uji. From
                                        a use perspective, this may be fairly simple. I am however also
                                        interested in a "registration with the College of Arms" perspective
                                        which puts certain restrictions on form (i.e. two name elements,
                                        approved household or clan designator, etc).

                                        <nostrand@...> wrote:

                                        > Noble Cousins!
                                        >
                                        > Greetings from Solveig! While the wikipedia site does not make me
                                        > gag, I do
                                        > not recommend it as there are problems with convolving uji with
                                        han.
                                        > These
                                        > are two entirely different entities. The uji continued in use all
                                        the
                                        > way up to
                                        > the 19th century. Very technically, if you are a member of the
                                        > military class,
                                        > then you would most likely have both a family name "myoji" and a
                                        clan
                                        > name "uji". While you might not generally use the name of the
                                        clan, you
                                        > would still know what it was and it would be recorded in certain
                                        > documents
                                        > at least as late as the 19th century.
                                        >
                                        > NOTE. What the wikipedia site is calling "medieval clans" are
                                        > actually han.
                                        > These are not properly clans and should not be used
                                        for
                                        > names
                                        > except as family names. Even if you are Tokugawa
                                        Ieyasu or
                                        > Oda Nobunaga, you will have a separate uji name.
                                        The
                                        > one and
                                        > only one late period exception to this is the
                                        Toyotomi.
                                        > Incidentally,
                                        > nobody should include Toyotomi in their name as
                                        there
                                        > were too
                                        > few of them.
                                        >
                                        > Your Humble Servant
                                        > Solveig Throndardottir
                                        > Amateur Scholar
                                      • JL Badgley
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007
                                          On 9/20/07, Furukusu Masahide (Taliesin) <masahide@...> wrote:

                                          > Can you recommend any reading or sources for guidelines for
                                          > fomulating a uji name? I have referenced "Name Consturction in
                                          > Medieval Japan" and while it discusses where the uji came from,
                                          > their use, and provides some information on how some uji names
                                          > derived from the Chinese reading of the family name's kanji, it does
                                          > not offer any advice on cronstruction of new uji names.
                                          >
                                          > I am aware that the various uji were "fixed" during most of our
                                          > period, but given that we are "creative" and use constructed
                                          > surnames, etc, I feel it is reasonable to do the same for uji. From
                                          > a use perspective, this may be fairly simple. I am however also
                                          > interested in a "registration with the College of Arms" perspective
                                          > which puts certain restrictions on form (i.e. two name elements,
                                          > approved household or clan designator, etc).

                                          Umm, from my understanding of the rules, all you really need for a
                                          name is a given name and at least one byname. For that you can simply
                                          choose a Family Name and a Given Name and you are good to go. There's
                                          no need to 'create' an uji. If you are going to create anything, I'd
                                          go for a Family Name, as those were more prevalent and easier to
                                          construct. I guess I just don't see why you are trying to create an
                                          uji.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007

                                            > Can you recommend any reading or sources for guidelines for
                                            > fomulating a uji name?

                                            Starting around 700 CE the emperor obtained control over the
                                            creation of new uji. Thus, creating new uji names is ahistorical
                                            unless you are recreating essentially prehistoric Japan. The
                                            situation with uji is actually worse than I suggest as most of the
                                            uji pretty much died out. Further, there is really little good reason
                                            to claim membership in a created uji as the historical ones are
                                            generally speaking going to be of higher status. For that matter,
                                            its pretty easy to claim membership in the Minamoto as the
                                            Minamoto were actively recruiting during the Genpei War. As
                                            the Minamoto claim descent from a collection of emperors, your
                                            self-made uji is unlikely to be classier. Similarly, another uji already
                                            has descent from Hachiman (the war god) all sewn up.

                                            > I am aware that the various uji were "fixed" during most of our
                                            > period, but given that we are "creative" and use constructed
                                            > surnames, etc, I feel it is reasonable to do the same for uji.

                                            I disagree.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 20, 2007

                                              > Umm, from my understanding of the rules, all you really need for a
                                              > name is a given name and at least one byname. For that you can simply
                                              > choose a Family Name and a Given Name and you are good to go. There's
                                              > no need to 'create' an uji. If you are going to create anything, I'd
                                              > go for a Family Name, as those were more prevalent and easier to
                                              > construct. I guess I just don't see why you are trying to create an
                                              > uji.

                                              The College of Arms requires a minimum of two parts for anyone's name.
                                              However, if you are a male member of the Japanese buke (military class)
                                              from after the Genpei War, you should have a family name, a common
                                              name, and a nanori. Doing otherwise is pretty much ahistoric. You should
                                              also know which of the historical uji you claim descent from. This
                                              decision
                                              can have an effect on your common name.

                                              As for family names, they were being constructed all the time. In fact,
                                              people changed them during the course of their lives There are
                                              thousands of family names in Japan. But, most everyone claims descent
                                              from only about a dozen uji.