Re: Question about spurs

  • chasrmartin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes"
      > <rahlyns@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm wondering would later period (1500s-1600s) Japanese spurs be
      unique
      > > or different in any way? My only research resource at this time has
      > > been the internet - and I'm having no luck.
      >
      > I don't think the Japanese used spurs prior to the Meiji period when
      > they adopted Western military uniforms and so forth.

      I don't think this is correct; I've seen spurs with armor sets that
      certainly predated Meiji. They look somewhat different; the pair I
      recall had basically a single somewhat sharp point. I dont' recall
      where I saw them, but I'd guess at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC
      (amazing armour collection in general BTW) or an armour set at the
      Kannon-sama temple in Tokyo. (Damn, I can never remember the formal
      name ... the one in Asakusa. Sensoiji?)