Re: Question about spurs

  • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes"
      > <rahlyns@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm wondering would later period (1500s-1600s) Japanese spurs be
      unique
      > > or different in any way? My only research resource at this time
      has
      > > been the internet - and I'm having no luck.
      >
      > I don't think the Japanese used spurs prior to the Meiji period when
      > they adopted Western military uniforms and so forth. We were
      > speculating (and I freely admit it IS speculation) about this over
      on
      > the Tousando board a couple of months back:
      >
      > http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?
      action=display&board=heiho&thread=1180829502&page=1

      > Saionji no Hanae
      > West

      Thanks!
    • chasrmartin
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007

        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes"
        > <rahlyns@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm wondering would later period (1500s-1600s) Japanese spurs be
        unique
        > > or different in any way? My only research resource at this time has
        > > been the internet - and I'm having no luck.
        >
        > I don't think the Japanese used spurs prior to the Meiji period when
        > they adopted Western military uniforms and so forth.

        I don't think this is correct; I've seen spurs with armor sets that
        certainly predated Meiji. They look somewhat different; the pair I
        recall had basically a single somewhat sharp point. I dont' recall
        where I saw them, but I'd guess at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC
        (amazing armour collection in general BTW) or an armour set at the
        Kannon-sama temple in Tokyo. (Damn, I can never remember the formal
        name ... the one in Asakusa. Sensoiji?)