Question about spurs

  • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      I'm wondering would later period (1500s-1600s) Japanese spurs be unique
      or different in any way? My only research resource at this time has
      been the internet - and I'm having no luck.

      Thank you for your kind indulgence.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes"
        <rahlyns@...> wrote:

        > I'm wondering would later period (1500s-1600s) Japanese spurs be unique
        > or different in any way? My only research resource at this time has
        > been the internet - and I'm having no luck.

        I don't think the Japanese used spurs prior to the Meiji period when
        they adopted Western military uniforms and so forth. We were
        speculating (and I freely admit it IS speculation) about this over on
        the Tousando board a couple of months back:

        http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=heiho&thread=1180829502&page=1

        Saionji no Hanae
        West
      • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes"
          > <rahlyns@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm wondering would later period (1500s-1600s) Japanese spurs be
          unique
          > > or different in any way? My only research resource at this time
          has
          > > been the internet - and I'm having no luck.
          >
          > I don't think the Japanese used spurs prior to the Meiji period when
          > they adopted Western military uniforms and so forth. We were
          > speculating (and I freely admit it IS speculation) about this over
          on
          > the Tousando board a couple of months back:
          >
          > http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?
          action=display&board=heiho&thread=1180829502&page=1

          > Saionji no Hanae
          > West

          Thanks!
        • chasrmartin
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes"
            > <rahlyns@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm wondering would later period (1500s-1600s) Japanese spurs be
            unique
            > > or different in any way? My only research resource at this time has
            > > been the internet - and I'm having no luck.
            >
            > I don't think the Japanese used spurs prior to the Meiji period when
            > they adopted Western military uniforms and so forth.

            I don't think this is correct; I've seen spurs with armor sets that
            certainly predated Meiji. They look somewhat different; the pair I
            recall had basically a single somewhat sharp point. I dont' recall
            where I saw them, but I'd guess at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC
            (amazing armour collection in general BTW) or an armour set at the
            Kannon-sama temple in Tokyo. (Damn, I can never remember the formal
            name ... the one in Asakusa. Sensoiji?)