Re: Straw Cloak?

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn" <dragonshadow58@...> wrote:
      > To get to the point are these rain cloaks made of straw period
      > (especially for Kamakura) and if so how exactly would one go about
      > making one? I have been scanning the internet for months and have found
      > nothing.

      Try using the word "mino" and see if that helps at all.

      Otagiri Tatsuzou made one using a straw beach mat as the foundation. I
      can attest, based on a recent adventure in a downpour, that the thing
      works.

      Perhaps he can elaborate on the process.

      Saionji no Hanae
      West
    • chasrmartin
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007

        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn" <dragonshadow58@> wrote:
        > > To get to the point are these rain cloaks made of straw period
        > > (especially for Kamakura) and if so how exactly would one go about
        > > making one? I have been scanning the internet for months and have
        found
        > > nothing.
        >
        > Try using the word "mino" and see if that helps at all.
        >
        > Otagiri Tatsuzou made one using a straw beach mat as the foundation. I
        > can attest, based on a recent adventure in a downpour, that the thing
        > works.

        Don't give up on finding one, either: I actually found one to purchase
        in a Pier One, long and long ago.

        - Mugyo
      • rhoward
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007
          Konnichiwa,

          Another option, if you'd like: I am probably going to deliver a class on waraji and mino
          construction at the next Estrella War (pending discussion with the event planners, etc.). This
          would not help you now, but I'd be happy to send you the course materials once they are done.

          Yoshi

          Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
          Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient things.

          > > To get to the point are these rain cloaks made of straw period
          > > (especially for Kamakura) and if so how exactly would one go about
          > > making one? I have been scanning the internet for months and have
          found
          > > nothing.
          >
          > Try using the word "mino" and see if that helps at all.
          >
          > Otagiri Tatsuzou made one using a straw beach mat as the foundation. I
          > can attest, based on a recent adventure in a downpour, that the thing
          > works.

          Don't give up on finding one, either: I actually found one to purchase
          in a Pier One, long and long ago.

          - Mugyo
        • Jason Silver
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007
            Konnichiwa Yoshi-dono

            I dont suppose by chance I could get a copy of your hand outs for
            either class?

            Domo

            Takeda ShirĂ´ Yoshitaka

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "rhoward" <rhoward@...> wrote:

            > Konnichiwa,
            >
            > Another option, if you'd like: I am probably going to deliver a
            class on waraji and mino
            > construction at the next Estrella War (pending discussion with the
            event planners, etc.). This
            > would not help you now, but I'd be happy to send you the course
            materials once they are done.

            > Yoshi
            >
            > Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
            > Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such
            transient things.

          • Ashina no Karasu
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007
              Konnichiwa,

              I would even be interested in the materials once you have finished them. If
              you would not mind posting them once you are finished that would be great.

              Ashina no Karasu

            • Jennifer Dinwiddie

                > > To get to the point are these rain cloaks made of straw period
                > > (especially for Kamakura) and if so how exactly would one go about
                > > making one? I have been scanning the internet for months and have
                found
                > > nothing.
                >
                > Try using the word "mino" and see if that helps at all.
                >
                > Otagiri Tatsuzou made one using a straw beach mat as the foundation. I
                > can attest, based on a recent adventure in a downpour, that the thing
                > works.

                Don't give up on finding one, either: I actually found one to purchase
                in a Pier One, long and long ago.

                - Mugyo

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Dance as if no one were Watching, Sing as if no one were Listening,
                Love as though you've never been Hurt
                and Live everyday as though it was your Last.
                Argent Fox