Straw Cloak?

  • Shawn
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2007
      Greetings,

      I am from the humble Shire of Burning Sands in the noble Kingdom of
      Atenvelt playing a Japanese persona of the Kamakura time frame. I am
      new to this group and still reading through the old messages and would
      like to ask a question concerning the straw cloaks I have seen in
      pictures and in some short stories.

      To get to the point are these rain cloaks made of straw period
      (especially for Kamakura) and if so how exactly would one go about
      making one? I have been scanning the internet for months and have found
      nothing.

      Thank you in advance
      Nanashi Yuri-
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn" <dragonshadow58@...> wrote:
        > To get to the point are these rain cloaks made of straw period
        > (especially for Kamakura) and if so how exactly would one go about
        > making one? I have been scanning the internet for months and have found
        > nothing.

        Try using the word "mino" and see if that helps at all.

        Otagiri Tatsuzou made one using a straw beach mat as the foundation. I
        can attest, based on a recent adventure in a downpour, that the thing
        works.

        Perhaps he can elaborate on the process.

        Saionji no Hanae
        West
      • chasrmartin
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn" <dragonshadow58@> wrote:
          > > To get to the point are these rain cloaks made of straw period
          > > (especially for Kamakura) and if so how exactly would one go about
          > > making one? I have been scanning the internet for months and have
          found
          > > nothing.
          >
          > Try using the word "mino" and see if that helps at all.
          >
          > Otagiri Tatsuzou made one using a straw beach mat as the foundation. I
          > can attest, based on a recent adventure in a downpour, that the thing
          > works.

          Don't give up on finding one, either: I actually found one to purchase
          in a Pier One, long and long ago.

          - Mugyo
        • rhoward
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007
            Konnichiwa,

            Another option, if you'd like: I am probably going to deliver a class on waraji and mino
            construction at the next Estrella War (pending discussion with the event planners, etc.). This
            would not help you now, but I'd be happy to send you the course materials once they are done.

            Yoshi

            Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
            Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient things.

            > > To get to the point are these rain cloaks made of straw period
            > > (especially for Kamakura) and if so how exactly would one go about
            > > making one? I have been scanning the internet for months and have
            found
            > > nothing.
            >
            > Try using the word "mino" and see if that helps at all.
            >
            > Otagiri Tatsuzou made one using a straw beach mat as the foundation. I
            > can attest, based on a recent adventure in a downpour, that the thing
            > works.

            Don't give up on finding one, either: I actually found one to purchase
            in a Pier One, long and long ago.

            - Mugyo
          • Jason Silver
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007
              Konnichiwa Yoshi-dono

              I dont suppose by chance I could get a copy of your hand outs for
              either class?

              Domo

              Takeda ShirĂ´ Yoshitaka

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "rhoward" <rhoward@...> wrote:

              > Konnichiwa,
              >
              > Another option, if you'd like: I am probably going to deliver a
              class on waraji and mino
              > construction at the next Estrella War (pending discussion with the
              event planners, etc.). This
              > would not help you now, but I'd be happy to send you the course
              materials once they are done.

              > Yoshi
              >
              > Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
              > Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such
              transient things.

            • Ashina no Karasu
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007
                Konnichiwa,

                I would even be interested in the materials once you have finished them. If
                you would not mind posting them once you are finished that would be great.

                Ashina no Karasu

              • Jennifer Dinwiddie

                  > > To get to the point are these rain cloaks made of straw period
                  > > (especially for Kamakura) and if so how exactly would one go about
                  > > making one? I have been scanning the internet for months and have
                  found
                  > > nothing.
                  >
                  > Try using the word "mino" and see if that helps at all.
                  >
                  > Otagiri Tatsuzou made one using a straw beach mat as the foundation. I
                  > can attest, based on a recent adventure in a downpour, that the thing
                  > works.

                  Don't give up on finding one, either: I actually found one to purchase
                  in a Pier One, long and long ago.

                  - Mugyo

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Dance as if no one were Watching, Sing as if no one were Listening,
                  Love as though you've never been Hurt
                  and Live everyday as though it was your Last.
                  Argent Fox