Re: [SCA-JML] "No means no" - think i've got it

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
      lynnx@... wrote:

      > First...Thank all of you folks for helping me with this.
      > You have no end of patience!

      Actually, I do. I just can't remember where I put it. { g }

      > I think it was Effingham who said "baka", "baka-mono" and
      > "baka-yaro" were sort of an outdated convention used in
      > soaps or melodrama...

      Not outmoded. They're very common. "baka" and "bakayarou" (along with "kono
      yarou!") are the most common epithets hurled around these days.

      > I've been told that "baka" is "fool"
      > or "idiot", and also that sticking "yaro" (not in my
      > dictionary) is The Worst.

      Not really. "Yarou" literally is "bumpkin" or "fellow" although the common
      usage is "jerk/bastard." It can be tacked on to many other nouns. "Ano
      petenchi yaro!" means "that cheating weasel," for example, and "ano ketchi
      yarou" means "that cheap bastard."

      > Could someone please tell me what
      > "baka" and "yaro" actually mean for when the auth. police
      > start in;->

      See above. "Baka" (the kanji read literally "horse deer") means fool, and is
      a keiyou doushi (see the other long Japanese response in this thread). A
      "baka na joudan" is a "stupid joke" and a "baka na yatsu" is a "stupid
      yutz."

      The fact that yarou when used as an epithet is stuck slam on to other words
      is the reason it's not "baka na yarou."

      Depending on how it's said, it's no worse than "jerk" or "dumb-ass" but
      could also have the force of "you c***sucker!"

      "Oy, omee, ore no nyobo ni te o dasan, zo! Nani o kangaietan da yo, kono
      bakayarou!"
      "Hey, dickweed, don't mess with my wife. What the hell were you thinking,
      you schmuck?"

      Said with a laugh between friends, it's the functional equivalent of "yeah,
      right" "get outta here!" in English.

      "Ne, Jiro, hyakuman'en kashite kurenai ka?"
      "Baka yarou."

      "Hey, Jiro, wouldja loan me a million yen?"
      "Get outta here."

      Ultimately, it's context and how it's said.

      > So... nouns (and adjectives) don't always change with their
      > use in the sentence? Like: In one sentence I could be
      > talking about "my useless" ("uselessness" is the *subject*)
      > and in the next be saying "that useless princess over there"
      > - ("useless" is the *adjective*, "princess" is the subject)
      > - "muyo" wouldn't change form at all? (Sounds convenient
      > ;-)

      When you modify a noun with another noun, you need the "no"; but the form
      doesn't change, no (that's the English no, not the Japanese no.) <G>

      > > It breaks down a little for an English brain when you start thinking of
      > > "Fukushima's Jiro," but you get the idea.
      >
      > My brain's already broke down ;-> What/Who is "Jiro"?

      Random person name. Taro, Jiro, Bob, Carole, Ted, Alice...

      > > > you can answer an informal question like "which car" with
      > > > something like "blue's," to mean "the blue one.")
      >
      > I can get this i think - i've heard it used a lot when a
      > (usually clinical) "professional" doesn't think anyone's
      > around. Can't seem to dig up examples but it reminds me
      > somehow of chopping the person's head off and thinking of
      > them as their conditions, not people. (of course there's
      > plenty of examples we're so used to we don't even notice
      > it).

      In such cases, it's easier to think of the "no" as meaning "one." Kuroi hon"
      is "the black book" while "shiro no" is "the white one". This implies the
      actual NATURE of the "one" is understood. If we're talking about cars and
      you like the blue on but I prefer the red ("akai"), I could say "akai no ga
      suki". You can't randomly introduce "no" without a pre-understood topic.

      > > It seems to follow the general linguistic trend of most Japanese
      > > compounds; the first sound of the second word/character is usually
      > > voiced.
      >
      > ...hakama (street length) becomes ko-bakama when shorter...
      > Like our hard and soft consonants, but different
      > combinations.

      Right.