Re: Re: Tabi

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 10, 2007
      1d. Re: Tabi
      Posted by: "DateSaburouYukiie"

      Would you be willing to contribute to http://kabutographics.com/
      sunzi_recreationist/

      I think your insight would be great...

      What no sumi-e ;)

      Jim
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote:
        > As to precisely when geta, waraji and the like made their appearance I
        > unable to say. Sorry that I could not be more help.

        Geta were definitely being worn in the late 12th century when the Gaki
        Zoshi scroll was created. Click at your own risk, graphic depiction of
        period privy practices:

        http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0016936.jpg

        Saionji no Hanae
        West
      • David Nesmith
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
          very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures were? Ainu perhaps?

          Ishikawa Moritake

          wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote: --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote:
          > As to precisely when geta, waraji and the like made their appearance I
          > unable to say. Sorry that I could not be more help.

          Geta were definitely being worn in the late 12th century when the Gaki
          Zoshi scroll was created. Click at your own risk, graphic depiction of
          period privy practices:

          http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0016936.jpg

          Saionji no Hanae
          West

          It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

          test'; " type=text/css>

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

            > very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures were?

            Those are gaki zoshi, hungry spirits. If you do something REALLY bad
            in a previous incarnation, you come back as one of these creatures,
            eternally hungering for human waste.

            The Gaki Zoshi scroll in the Tokyo National Museum is definitely not
            for the easily grossed out, but it contains some interesting images of
            life in 12th century Japan, including an aristocratic feast, a woman
            in childbirth, and the one I posted earlier.

            Saionji no Hanae
            West
          • Nick starnes
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 13, 2007
              This scroll brings up the point of hygiene. If i may inquire.
              1: was it a common practice for the people to do (Natures call) in the villages proximity like the scroll implies?
              2: were they so immodest about it?
              3: was there any form of clean-up after the fact. (Did they bury it, and use some sort of item to wipe)

              Points of History not often discussed but I'm curious. The Japanese seem such clean conscious and proper people, i have often wondered about their sanitation practices.

              Hasekura Masashige

              wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

              > very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures were?

              Those are gaki zoshi, hungry spirits. If you do something REALLY bad
              in a previous incarnation, you come back as one of these creatures,
              eternally hungering for human waste.

              The Gaki Zoshi scroll in the Tokyo National Museum is definitely not
              for the easily grossed out, but it contains some interesting images of
              life in 12th century Japan, including an aristocratic feast, a woman
              in childbirth, and the one I posted earlier.

              Saionji no Hanae
              West

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                This might not fully answer the question, but be of some interest:

                http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0074-02762003000900019&lng=pt&nrm=iso&tlng=pt

                -Ii

                On 8/13/07, Nick starnes <vns2112@...> wrote:

                > This scroll brings up the point of hygiene. If i may inquire.
                > 1: was it a common practice for the people to do (Natures call) in the
                > villages proximity like the scroll implies?
                > 2: were they so immodest about it?
                > 3: was there any form of clean-up after the fact. (Did they bury it, and
                > use some sort of item to wipe)
                >
                > Points of History not often discussed but I'm curious. The Japanese seem
                > such clean conscious and proper people, i have often wondered about their
                > sanitation practices.
                >
                > Hasekura Masashige
                >
                > wodeford <wodeford@... <wodeford%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>, David Nesmith
                > <txpiper2001@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures were?
                >
                > Those are gaki zoshi, hungry spirits. If you do something REALLY bad
                > in a previous incarnation, you come back as one of these creatures,
                > eternally hungering for human waste.
                >
                > The Gaki Zoshi scroll in the Tokyo National Museum is definitely not
                > for the easily grossed out, but it contains some interesting images of
                > life in 12th century Japan, including an aristocratic feast, a woman
                > in childbirth, and the one I posted earlier.
                >
                > Saionji no Hanae
                > West

              • Nick starnes
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                  Outstanding info site.

                  Arigato Gozaimasu

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007

                    > very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures
                    > were? Ainu perhaps?

                    No. They are "gaki" (hungry ghosts) which consitute one of the 6
                    "evil" rebirths possible in Buddhist cosmology.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                      Saionji hime!

                      Greetings from Solveig!

                      > Those are gaki zoshi, hungry spirits. If you do something REALLY bad
                      > in a previous incarnation, you come back as one of these creatures,
                      > eternally hungering for human waste.

                      Ahh. They also eat the dead and are associated with grave yards. Also,
                      "zoshi" is a literary form and not part of the word for the things.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                        Ii dono!

                        Greetings from Solveig!

                        > http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?
                        > script=sci_arttext&pid=S0074-02762003000900019&lng=pt&nrm=iso&tlng=pt

                        Yes, that is an early version of the traditional Japanese toilet.
                        I've got a similar picture in a book povocatively called "Benjo no
                        Hanashi" ISBN: 430609295X.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                          Ii dono!

                          Greetings from Solveig!

                          > http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?
                          > script=sci_arttext&pid=S0074-02762003000900019&lng=pt&nrm=iso&tlng=pt

                          The drawing you found of the continuous flush toilet seems a bit
                          clearer to me than the diagram for the same in
                          "Benjo no Hanashi".

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                            wrote:
                            > Ahh. They also eat the dead and are associated with grave yards.

                            Absolutely. One of the scenes depicted in the scroll owned by the
                            Tokyo National Museum is a graveyard "feast."

                            Glad to see you made it home all right.