Re: [SCA-JML] Tabi

  • Dean Wayland
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 10, 2007
      Date-sama,

      >Would you be willing to contribute to http://kabutographics.com/
      >sunzi_recreationist/
      >
      >I think your insight would be great...
      >Date

      Thank you for the complement, but sadly, I have a technical problem with
      forums, which is also why I am not on Tosando. I am registered blind,
      and my computer uses a text enlarger and a speech-out package that
      conflicts with just about everything on the net. And to add insult to
      injury it insists on reading everything, and I mean everything on a
      given page:-( However, mailing lists like this one are fine, as it's
      easy to lock on to the relevant part of the message and bypass the
      header blurb. Thanks again for the invitation.

      All the best

      Dean
      --
      Dean Wayland
      Head Of The Fight School
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 10, 2007
        1d. Re: Tabi
        Posted by: "DateSaburouYukiie"

        Would you be willing to contribute to http://kabutographics.com/
        sunzi_recreationist/

        I think your insight would be great...

        What no sumi-e ;)

        Jim
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote:
          > As to precisely when geta, waraji and the like made their appearance I
          > unable to say. Sorry that I could not be more help.

          Geta were definitely being worn in the late 12th century when the Gaki
          Zoshi scroll was created. Click at your own risk, graphic depiction of
          period privy practices:

          http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0016936.jpg

          Saionji no Hanae
          West
        • David Nesmith
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
            very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures were? Ainu perhaps?

            Ishikawa Moritake

            wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote: --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Dean Wayland <dean@...> wrote:
            > As to precisely when geta, waraji and the like made their appearance I
            > unable to say. Sorry that I could not be more help.

            Geta were definitely being worn in the late 12th century when the Gaki
            Zoshi scroll was created. Click at your own risk, graphic depiction of
            period privy practices:

            http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0016936.jpg

            Saionji no Hanae
            West

            It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

            test'; " type=text/css>

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

              > very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures were?

              Those are gaki zoshi, hungry spirits. If you do something REALLY bad
              in a previous incarnation, you come back as one of these creatures,
              eternally hungering for human waste.

              The Gaki Zoshi scroll in the Tokyo National Museum is definitely not
              for the easily grossed out, but it contains some interesting images of
              life in 12th century Japan, including an aristocratic feast, a woman
              in childbirth, and the one I posted earlier.

              Saionji no Hanae
              West
            • Nick starnes
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 13, 2007
                This scroll brings up the point of hygiene. If i may inquire.
                1: was it a common practice for the people to do (Natures call) in the villages proximity like the scroll implies?
                2: were they so immodest about it?
                3: was there any form of clean-up after the fact. (Did they bury it, and use some sort of item to wipe)

                Points of History not often discussed but I'm curious. The Japanese seem such clean conscious and proper people, i have often wondered about their sanitation practices.

                Hasekura Masashige

                wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

                > very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures were?

                Those are gaki zoshi, hungry spirits. If you do something REALLY bad
                in a previous incarnation, you come back as one of these creatures,
                eternally hungering for human waste.

                The Gaki Zoshi scroll in the Tokyo National Museum is definitely not
                for the easily grossed out, but it contains some interesting images of
                life in 12th century Japan, including an aristocratic feast, a woman
                in childbirth, and the one I posted earlier.

                Saionji no Hanae
                West

              • JL Badgley
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                  This might not fully answer the question, but be of some interest:

                  http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0074-02762003000900019&lng=pt&nrm=iso&tlng=pt

                  -Ii

                  On 8/13/07, Nick starnes <vns2112@...> wrote:

                  > This scroll brings up the point of hygiene. If i may inquire.
                  > 1: was it a common practice for the people to do (Natures call) in the
                  > villages proximity like the scroll implies?
                  > 2: were they so immodest about it?
                  > 3: was there any form of clean-up after the fact. (Did they bury it, and
                  > use some sort of item to wipe)
                  >
                  > Points of History not often discussed but I'm curious. The Japanese seem
                  > such clean conscious and proper people, i have often wondered about their
                  > sanitation practices.
                  >
                  > Hasekura Masashige
                  >
                  > wodeford <wodeford@... <wodeford%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                  > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>, David Nesmith
                  > <txpiper2001@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures were?
                  >
                  > Those are gaki zoshi, hungry spirits. If you do something REALLY bad
                  > in a previous incarnation, you come back as one of these creatures,
                  > eternally hungering for human waste.
                  >
                  > The Gaki Zoshi scroll in the Tokyo National Museum is definitely not
                  > for the easily grossed out, but it contains some interesting images of
                  > life in 12th century Japan, including an aristocratic feast, a woman
                  > in childbirth, and the one I posted earlier.
                  >
                  > Saionji no Hanae
                  > West

                • Nick starnes
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                    Outstanding info site.

                    Arigato Gozaimasu

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007

                      > very interesting. any idea who/what the dark skinned creatures
                      > were? Ainu perhaps?

                      No. They are "gaki" (hungry ghosts) which consitute one of the 6
                      "evil" rebirths possible in Buddhist cosmology.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                        Saionji hime!

                        Greetings from Solveig!

                        > Those are gaki zoshi, hungry spirits. If you do something REALLY bad
                        > in a previous incarnation, you come back as one of these creatures,
                        > eternally hungering for human waste.

                        Ahh. They also eat the dead and are associated with grave yards. Also,
                        "zoshi" is a literary form and not part of the word for the things.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                          Ii dono!

                          Greetings from Solveig!

                          > http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?
                          > script=sci_arttext&pid=S0074-02762003000900019&lng=pt&nrm=iso&tlng=pt

                          Yes, that is an early version of the traditional Japanese toilet.
                          I've got a similar picture in a book povocatively called "Benjo no
                          Hanashi" ISBN: 430609295X.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                            Ii dono!

                            Greetings from Solveig!

                            > http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?
                            > script=sci_arttext&pid=S0074-02762003000900019&lng=pt&nrm=iso&tlng=pt

                            The drawing you found of the continuous flush toilet seems a bit
                            clearer to me than the diagram for the same in
                            "Benjo no Hanashi".

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                              wrote:
                              > Ahh. They also eat the dead and are associated with grave yards.

                              Absolutely. One of the scenes depicted in the scroll owned by the
                              Tokyo National Museum is a graveyard "feast."

                              Glad to see you made it home all right.