Re: [SCA-JML] Zokumyo usage

  • Nick starnes
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
      Katsumori-dono,

      It troubles me greatly that my question offended you. This, of course, would never have been my intention. I apologize if the way I wrote it sounded sarcastic or snide. I was frustrated because I intended to be Historical and have a name that I liked. I did not come up with it on a whim, I thought about it and studied at length the rules and possibilities and to have it shot down deflated me because I put so much effort in to it. I thought I had something solid. I am truly thankful for your comments and respect your input. Please do not let this hinder any future involvement in your answering my questions.

      Arigato Gozaimasu,

      Hasekura Masashige

      JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
      On 8/3/07, Nick starnes <vns2112@...> wrote:

      > I am very great full for every ones Learned input to the question but is this exact historical reenacting? I mean is there any leeway to this to where we can just have fun with it. I mean how many scholars are out there at events. I like the sound of it ,what about a nick name ?what would Taroichi mean or help me out with something that is close "2 syllable-Ichi " Does it have to have "ro" at the end?

      A) I take offense at the implication that we can't be historical and
      have fun. Some of us geeks find it to be very fun, and I don't see
      how our discussions to try to help someone find a more historically
      appropriate name affect you having fun in whatever way you want.

      B) The suggestions were to help explain how Japanese names go
      together. What someone uses and gets passed by the CoH is up to them.
      I know someone who goes by the 'name' of 'Ronin'.

      Regarding the meet of the issue: at some point, you do see '-rou'
      often dropped from these kinds of names. I would liken it to 'Lisa'
      becoming an actual name instead of just a nickname for 'Elisabeth'.
      The problem is, unless we can show how it would be made, 'Taroichi'
      sounds 'off' as a Japanese name. An example would be if someone
      wanted to be called Robertsonhenry as an 'english' name. After all, I
      know that 'Robert' is a name. I know that '-son' was a common postfix
      names to indicate 'son of', and I know that 'Henry' is a common name.
      I also know that, at least by the 20th century, you find combination
      names (Billy-Ray comes to mind). That doesn't mean any English
      speaker will find 'Robertsonhenry' as a natural name.

      Now, it may be possible that there is a legitimate 'Taro' that could
      come before 'ichi' without being odd, but I would be very surprised to
      find it being the 'Tarou' that was asked about. If the meaning is
      important, 'Mataichi' would be better. It gets the 4 syllable count
      that was asked for, and rhymes with 'Zatoichi'.

      -Ii Katsumori

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2007
        On 8/5/07, Nick starnes <vns2112@...> wrote:

        > Katsumori-dono,
        >
        > It troubles me greatly that my question offended you. This, of course, would never have been my intention. I apologize if the way I wrote it sounded sarcastic or snide. I was frustrated because I intended to be Historical and have a name that I liked. I did not come up with it on a whim, I thought about it and studied at length the rules and possibilities and to have it shot down deflated me because I put so much effort in to it. I thought I had something solid. I am truly thankful for your comments and respect your input. Please do not let this hinder any future involvement in your answering my questions.

        I'm sorry myself. I am afraid I have seen too many times that
        'historical != fun' to the point of people labeling those of us
        interested in trying to be more historical 'authenticity Nazis', a
        term I thoroughly abhor. Combined with some real world stress, I
        think that this all just culminated in an overreaction on my part.

        For what it is worth, I think you had the right idea. The 'Taroichi'
        name does sound right in English, and follows the basic rules... it
        isn't quite apparent that the 'ro' is actually 'rou', and you did a
        great job on the name, all things considered.

        'Taroichi' may be appropriate, in fact, but not with those particular
        characters. I just don't know of anything off-hand that would make it
        a passable name, but I wish I did.