Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Translation Help Please

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

      > On reading the original question, this person
      > immediately thought of "pantsu nashi".
      Unfortunately, "pantsu" means "panties" in Japanese.
      Watch out for Japanese "Eigo" it frequently means
      things that you do not suspect.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

        > This whole topic reminds me of the "wannabe" ashigaru in the latest
        > Zatoichi
        > movie:
        >
        > http://halfnakedguyrunningaroundwithaspearandyelling.ytmnd.com/
        > (Yes, that is a real link.)

        Many, if not all, of the Zatoichi movies express a kind of bitter-
        sweet humor.
        One outstanding example of humor in a way is when Zatoichi is
        attacked in
        a forrest. He of course dispatches all of his assailants. But, at the
        end of a
        quiet shot immediately after the battle, a tree falls over.

        Please understand that "blind men" is one of the categories of the
        kyougen
        theatre of medieval Japan. Kyougen became fused at the hip with the Noh
        theatre, but is itself an improvisational comic theatrical form. You
        see a
        brief glimpse of kyougen immediately before the Ninja attack in Last
        Samurai. The kyougen performance is individually mentioned in the film
        credits at the end of the movie.

        If anyone here is interested in experimenting with a Japanese theatrical
        form which is somewhat similar to Comedia Del'Arte, then they should
        consider coming to the workshop that I sometimes run at Pennsic.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

          On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:52 PM, robertthelost wrote:
          > Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
          > in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
          > when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
          > but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
          > Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
          > a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.
          Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian who
          handles
          interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
          desk. They
          will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere around
          the
          reference section. You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
          now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
          rather complete citation information.

          Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
          borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library. For
          example,
          local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also, some
          university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you borrowing
          privileges
          for a modest fee.

        • robertthelost
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
            Greetings,

            > Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian
            who
            > handles
            > interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
            > desk. They
            > will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere
            around
            > the
            > reference section.

            Cool thanks I might go there tomorrow since its closed today and
            check that out.

            > You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
            > now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
            > rather complete citation information.

            Yeah my local library has a card cat online that also has the librays
            in nearby towns but I havent been able to find to much yet. I will
            look into Worldcat though.

            > Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
            > borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library.
            For
            > example,
            > local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also,
            some
            > university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you
            borrowing
            > privileges
            > for a modest fee.

            Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
            from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
            up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
            into that asap.

            Thank You Again

            Atsumori
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

              > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
              > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
              > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
              > into that asap.
              Yale may have a separate East Asian library. For example, while
              it is very difficult to get into the main Harvard library, the East
              Asian
              library at Harvard is in a separate building, is open to the public,
              and has open stacks. I have not looked into getting borrowing
              privileges there. The East Asian library at the University of
              Toronto is in the same building as the main library, BUT unlike
              the main library is open to the public.

            • robertthelost
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                Greetings Solveig-dono, *bows* (would that be correct, or would it be
                Throndardottir-dono?)

                I was just on the Yale library web-site and saw something about public
                areas, still need to look more into it. Not sure if they have a
                seperate East Asian building but did see a list of speacialty
                buildings, none of which were Asian. Unfortunatly due to the holiday
                everything is closed.

                Thanks again for the University tip.

                In Service
                Atsumori
              • Anthony Bryant
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                  On Jul 4, 2007, at 9:53 AM, robertthelost wrote:

                  > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                  > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                  > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                  > into that asap.

                  Yale has an incredible Asian collection. I hate you. ;)

                  Don't forget to check out the periodicals room, too. You can get a
                  lot of material from Monumenta Nipponica and the Journal of Far East
                  Asian Studies -- meaty articles, but they're shorter, self-contained,
                  and tend to have tighter focus than lots of books.