Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Translation Help Please

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

      > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese,
      > "Robert
      > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)

      While it may be "witty", it is unlikely to stand a chance in the
      College of Arms.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

        > On reading the original question, this person
        > immediately thought of "pantsu nashi".
        Unfortunately, "pantsu" means "panties" in Japanese.
        Watch out for Japanese "Eigo" it frequently means
        things that you do not suspect.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

          > This whole topic reminds me of the "wannabe" ashigaru in the latest
          > Zatoichi
          > movie:
          >
          > http://halfnakedguyrunningaroundwithaspearandyelling.ytmnd.com/
          > (Yes, that is a real link.)

          Many, if not all, of the Zatoichi movies express a kind of bitter-
          sweet humor.
          One outstanding example of humor in a way is when Zatoichi is
          attacked in
          a forrest. He of course dispatches all of his assailants. But, at the
          end of a
          quiet shot immediately after the battle, a tree falls over.

          Please understand that "blind men" is one of the categories of the
          kyougen
          theatre of medieval Japan. Kyougen became fused at the hip with the Noh
          theatre, but is itself an improvisational comic theatrical form. You
          see a
          brief glimpse of kyougen immediately before the Ninja attack in Last
          Samurai. The kyougen performance is individually mentioned in the film
          credits at the end of the movie.

          If anyone here is interested in experimenting with a Japanese theatrical
          form which is somewhat similar to Comedia Del'Arte, then they should
          consider coming to the workshop that I sometimes run at Pennsic.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

            On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:52 PM, robertthelost wrote:
            > Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
            > in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
            > when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
            > but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
            > Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
            > a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.
            Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian who
            handles
            interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
            desk. They
            will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere around
            the
            reference section. You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
            now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
            rather complete citation information.

            Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
            borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library. For
            example,
            local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also, some
            university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you borrowing
            privileges
            for a modest fee.

          • robertthelost
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
              Greetings,

              > Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian
              who
              > handles
              > interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
              > desk. They
              > will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere
              around
              > the
              > reference section.

              Cool thanks I might go there tomorrow since its closed today and
              check that out.

              > You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
              > now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
              > rather complete citation information.

              Yeah my local library has a card cat online that also has the librays
              in nearby towns but I havent been able to find to much yet. I will
              look into Worldcat though.

              > Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
              > borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library.
              For
              > example,
              > local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also,
              some
              > university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you
              borrowing
              > privileges
              > for a modest fee.

              Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
              from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
              up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
              into that asap.

              Thank You Again

              Atsumori
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                > into that asap.
                Yale may have a separate East Asian library. For example, while
                it is very difficult to get into the main Harvard library, the East
                Asian
                library at Harvard is in a separate building, is open to the public,
                and has open stacks. I have not looked into getting borrowing
                privileges there. The East Asian library at the University of
                Toronto is in the same building as the main library, BUT unlike
                the main library is open to the public.

              • robertthelost
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                  Greetings Solveig-dono, *bows* (would that be correct, or would it be
                  Throndardottir-dono?)

                  I was just on the Yale library web-site and saw something about public
                  areas, still need to look more into it. Not sure if they have a
                  seperate East Asian building but did see a list of speacialty
                  buildings, none of which were Asian. Unfortunatly due to the holiday
                  everything is closed.

                  Thanks again for the University tip.

                  In Service
                  Atsumori
                • Anthony Bryant
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                    On Jul 4, 2007, at 9:53 AM, robertthelost wrote:

                    > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                    > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                    > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                    > into that asap.

                    Yale has an incredible Asian collection. I hate you. ;)

                    Don't forget to check out the periodicals room, too. You can get a
                    lot of material from Monumenta Nipponica and the Journal of Far East
                    Asian Studies -- meaty articles, but they're shorter, self-contained,
                    and tend to have tighter focus than lots of books.