Re: Translation Help Please

  • robertthelost
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
      Greetings All,

      > Except "pantsu" generally means "underwear", I believe (but that
      just makes
      > it funnier).

      LOL yeah I just hope knowone from the barony see's that one =)

      > Please, before you break your heart and bruise your forehead on that
      > brick wall, go read this: http://www.sca org/heraldry/ laurel/rfs.
      > html
      > It explains in depth what sorts of names are registerable and why.
      > Ideally, your registerable name should be one that could have
      > existed
      > in the period and culture you're supposed to be from, right down to
      > the spelling. If that culture was not using the word "pants," you
      > can't be "pantsless." Talk to your local herald.

      I am pretty new to the SCA but I have read most of the materials for
      most of the things I am trying to attempt. The name I have chosen,
      with ALOT of help from this group is "Ashikaga Atsumori" the common
      name I am still up in the air about, it being "Ichiro". The whole
      pantless thing was more of a joke that I got stuck with. When I'm
      introduced to people now i'm kind of introduced as "The Pantless". So
      I thought it would be good for myself to atleast know some form of
      that in Japanese atleast just for kicks.

      > Secondly, speaking as one who chose a joke nickname and outgrew it,
      > think very hard about whether you want to be living with it next
      > year,
      > five years from now, ten years from now.

      Honestly yeah I think I cuould. Its just something that would be
      funny atleast for myself and would make a good convesation piece. I'm
      normally shy and soft spoken so if anyone is wondering why people
      call me that I would have something to kind of break the ice with.
      also with a Japanese persona I could wear just a kosode with out
      pants if I where a peasant type or a skirt type hakama which arnt
      pants aswell. So I can see some conection but its just a matter of
      conecting it all =)

      > Don't neglect the language or literature. It's a very important part
      > of any culture. You can learn a lot about things by reading what
      > they
      > read, even if it's in translation.

      Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
      in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
      when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
      but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
      Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
      a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.

      > The thing about a "fun" nickname is it's fun for the person who
      > thinks
      > them up and a burden upon the hapless shmo who gets stuck with it.
      > Such as "Turd Blossom," one of Our Commander In Chief's inventions
      > for
      > his deputy chief of staff. Be careful what you wish for.

      Yeah most of the time a given nick name might not be fun for the
      person being called it. That I do understand, but this one I kinda
      jokinly gave to myself not thinking anything of it and well, everyone
      else I guess enjoyed it and found that people knew me better from my
      posts by that name. And so The Pantless was born =)

      Thank You All Again
      Yours In Service
      Atsumori
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

        > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese,
        > "Robert
        > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)

        While it may be "witty", it is unlikely to stand a chance in the
        College of Arms.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

          > On reading the original question, this person
          > immediately thought of "pantsu nashi".
          Unfortunately, "pantsu" means "panties" in Japanese.
          Watch out for Japanese "Eigo" it frequently means
          things that you do not suspect.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

            > This whole topic reminds me of the "wannabe" ashigaru in the latest
            > Zatoichi
            > movie:
            >
            > http://halfnakedguyrunningaroundwithaspearandyelling.ytmnd.com/
            > (Yes, that is a real link.)

            Many, if not all, of the Zatoichi movies express a kind of bitter-
            sweet humor.
            One outstanding example of humor in a way is when Zatoichi is
            attacked in
            a forrest. He of course dispatches all of his assailants. But, at the
            end of a
            quiet shot immediately after the battle, a tree falls over.

            Please understand that "blind men" is one of the categories of the
            kyougen
            theatre of medieval Japan. Kyougen became fused at the hip with the Noh
            theatre, but is itself an improvisational comic theatrical form. You
            see a
            brief glimpse of kyougen immediately before the Ninja attack in Last
            Samurai. The kyougen performance is individually mentioned in the film
            credits at the end of the movie.

            If anyone here is interested in experimenting with a Japanese theatrical
            form which is somewhat similar to Comedia Del'Arte, then they should
            consider coming to the workshop that I sometimes run at Pennsic.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

              On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:52 PM, robertthelost wrote:
              > Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
              > in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
              > when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
              > but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
              > Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
              > a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.
              Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian who
              handles
              interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
              desk. They
              will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere around
              the
              reference section. You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
              now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
              rather complete citation information.

              Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
              borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library. For
              example,
              local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also, some
              university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you borrowing
              privileges
              for a modest fee.

            • robertthelost
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                Greetings,

                > Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian
                who
                > handles
                > interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
                > desk. They
                > will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere
                around
                > the
                > reference section.

                Cool thanks I might go there tomorrow since its closed today and
                check that out.

                > You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
                > now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
                > rather complete citation information.

                Yeah my local library has a card cat online that also has the librays
                in nearby towns but I havent been able to find to much yet. I will
                look into Worldcat though.

                > Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
                > borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library.
                For
                > example,
                > local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also,
                some
                > university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you
                borrowing
                > privileges
                > for a modest fee.

                Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                into that asap.

                Thank You Again

                Atsumori
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                  > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                  > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                  > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                  > into that asap.
                  Yale may have a separate East Asian library. For example, while
                  it is very difficult to get into the main Harvard library, the East
                  Asian
                  library at Harvard is in a separate building, is open to the public,
                  and has open stacks. I have not looked into getting borrowing
                  privileges there. The East Asian library at the University of
                  Toronto is in the same building as the main library, BUT unlike
                  the main library is open to the public.

                • robertthelost
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                    Greetings Solveig-dono, *bows* (would that be correct, or would it be
                    Throndardottir-dono?)

                    I was just on the Yale library web-site and saw something about public
                    areas, still need to look more into it. Not sure if they have a
                    seperate East Asian building but did see a list of speacialty
                    buildings, none of which were Asian. Unfortunatly due to the holiday
                    everything is closed.

                    Thanks again for the University tip.

                    In Service
                    Atsumori
                  • Anthony Bryant
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                      On Jul 4, 2007, at 9:53 AM, robertthelost wrote:

                      > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                      > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                      > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                      > into that asap.

                      Yale has an incredible Asian collection. I hate you. ;)

                      Don't forget to check out the periodicals room, too. You can get a
                      lot of material from Monumenta Nipponica and the Journal of Far East
                      Asian Studies -- meaty articles, but they're shorter, self-contained,
                      and tend to have tighter focus than lots of books.