Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Translation Help Please

  • Rei Shounagon
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
      Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:

      > On Jul 3, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Ellen Badgley wrote:
      >
      > > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so
      > well in Japanese,
      > > "Robert
      > > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my
      > opinion. :)
      > >
      > > -
      > Well, there is the Norse name "Broclos" (lit.
      > "breech-less") -- it
      > became a byname (and then a surname) in England as
      > Brekeles.

      On reading the original question, this person
      immediately thought of "pantsu nashi".

      Rei

      Need a vacation? Get great deals
      to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
      http://travel.yahoo.com/
    • Ellen Badgley
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
        Except "pantsu" generally means "underwear", I believe (but that just makes
        it funnier).

        This whole topic reminds me of the "wannabe" ashigaru in the latest Zatoichi
        movie:

        http://halfnakedguyrunningaroundwithaspearandyelling.ytmnd.com/
        (Yes, that is a real link.)

        - Abe Akirakeiko

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "robertthelost" <drunken-savage@...>
          wrote:
          > Part of from what I've been learning from the SCA is that it is
          > sopposed to be fun and so I was just trying to possibly get that
          > little bit of into fun into the name.

          Please, before you break your heart and bruise your forehead on that
          brick wall, go read this: http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html
          It explains in depth what sorts of names are registerable and why.
          Ideally, your registerable name should be one that could have existed
          in the period and culture you're supposed to be from, right down to
          the spelling. If that culture was not using the word "pants," you
          can't be "pantsless." Talk to your local herald.

          Secondly, speaking as one who chose a joke nickname and outgrew it,
          think very hard about whether you want to be living with it next year,
          five years from now, ten years from now.

          thank you
          > again *kneels* *bows low* *then stands up and gives ya a big hug*
          Eeeek! He hugged her! In front of Buddha and all the neighbors!!!!!!
          (How very unJapanese.....)

          > My persona and my research has been on going for a while now. I have
          > looked into all the periods from 600 to 1600AD. they are all very
          > intresting in their own way. I have not looked into the language
          > itself at the moment because if I did it would be way to much to take
          > in at one time.
          Don't neglect the language or literature. It's a very important part
          of any culture. You can learn a lot about things by reading what they
          read, even if it's in translation.

          > Once again thank you all very much, you have all been very helpful
          > and kind. I do appreciate all the responses and if anyone happens to
          > think of a fun "nick name" let me know.

          The thing about a "fun" nickname is it's fun for the person who thinks
          them up and a burden upon the hapless shmo who gets stuck with it.
          Such as "Turd Blossom," one of Our Commander In Chief's inventions for
          his deputy chief of staff. Be careful what you wish for.

        • robertthelost
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
            Greetings All,

            > Except "pantsu" generally means "underwear", I believe (but that
            just makes
            > it funnier).

            LOL yeah I just hope knowone from the barony see's that one =)

            > Please, before you break your heart and bruise your forehead on that
            > brick wall, go read this: http://www.sca org/heraldry/ laurel/rfs.
            > html
            > It explains in depth what sorts of names are registerable and why.
            > Ideally, your registerable name should be one that could have
            > existed
            > in the period and culture you're supposed to be from, right down to
            > the spelling. If that culture was not using the word "pants," you
            > can't be "pantsless." Talk to your local herald.

            I am pretty new to the SCA but I have read most of the materials for
            most of the things I am trying to attempt. The name I have chosen,
            with ALOT of help from this group is "Ashikaga Atsumori" the common
            name I am still up in the air about, it being "Ichiro". The whole
            pantless thing was more of a joke that I got stuck with. When I'm
            introduced to people now i'm kind of introduced as "The Pantless". So
            I thought it would be good for myself to atleast know some form of
            that in Japanese atleast just for kicks.

            > Secondly, speaking as one who chose a joke nickname and outgrew it,
            > think very hard about whether you want to be living with it next
            > year,
            > five years from now, ten years from now.

            Honestly yeah I think I cuould. Its just something that would be
            funny atleast for myself and would make a good convesation piece. I'm
            normally shy and soft spoken so if anyone is wondering why people
            call me that I would have something to kind of break the ice with.
            also with a Japanese persona I could wear just a kosode with out
            pants if I where a peasant type or a skirt type hakama which arnt
            pants aswell. So I can see some conection but its just a matter of
            conecting it all =)

            > Don't neglect the language or literature. It's a very important part
            > of any culture. You can learn a lot about things by reading what
            > they
            > read, even if it's in translation.

            Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
            in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
            when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
            but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
            Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
            a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.

            > The thing about a "fun" nickname is it's fun for the person who
            > thinks
            > them up and a burden upon the hapless shmo who gets stuck with it.
            > Such as "Turd Blossom," one of Our Commander In Chief's inventions
            > for
            > his deputy chief of staff. Be careful what you wish for.

            Yeah most of the time a given nick name might not be fun for the
            person being called it. That I do understand, but this one I kinda
            jokinly gave to myself not thinking anything of it and well, everyone
            else I guess enjoyed it and found that people knew me better from my
            posts by that name. And so The Pantless was born =)

            Thank You All Again
            Yours In Service
            Atsumori
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

              > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese,
              > "Robert
              > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)

              While it may be "witty", it is unlikely to stand a chance in the
              College of Arms.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                > On reading the original question, this person
                > immediately thought of "pantsu nashi".
                Unfortunately, "pantsu" means "panties" in Japanese.
                Watch out for Japanese "Eigo" it frequently means
                things that you do not suspect.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                  > This whole topic reminds me of the "wannabe" ashigaru in the latest
                  > Zatoichi
                  > movie:
                  >
                  > http://halfnakedguyrunningaroundwithaspearandyelling.ytmnd.com/
                  > (Yes, that is a real link.)

                  Many, if not all, of the Zatoichi movies express a kind of bitter-
                  sweet humor.
                  One outstanding example of humor in a way is when Zatoichi is
                  attacked in
                  a forrest. He of course dispatches all of his assailants. But, at the
                  end of a
                  quiet shot immediately after the battle, a tree falls over.

                  Please understand that "blind men" is one of the categories of the
                  kyougen
                  theatre of medieval Japan. Kyougen became fused at the hip with the Noh
                  theatre, but is itself an improvisational comic theatrical form. You
                  see a
                  brief glimpse of kyougen immediately before the Ninja attack in Last
                  Samurai. The kyougen performance is individually mentioned in the film
                  credits at the end of the movie.

                  If anyone here is interested in experimenting with a Japanese theatrical
                  form which is somewhat similar to Comedia Del'Arte, then they should
                  consider coming to the workshop that I sometimes run at Pennsic.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                    On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:52 PM, robertthelost wrote:
                    > Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
                    > in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
                    > when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
                    > but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
                    > Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
                    > a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.
                    Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian who
                    handles
                    interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
                    desk. They
                    will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere around
                    the
                    reference section. You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
                    now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
                    rather complete citation information.

                    Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
                    borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library. For
                    example,
                    local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also, some
                    university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you borrowing
                    privileges
                    for a modest fee.

                  • robertthelost
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Greetings,

                      > Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian
                      who
                      > handles
                      > interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
                      > desk. They
                      > will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere
                      around
                      > the
                      > reference section.

                      Cool thanks I might go there tomorrow since its closed today and
                      check that out.

                      > You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
                      > now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
                      > rather complete citation information.

                      Yeah my local library has a card cat online that also has the librays
                      in nearby towns but I havent been able to find to much yet. I will
                      look into Worldcat though.

                      > Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
                      > borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library.
                      For
                      > example,
                      > local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also,
                      some
                      > university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you
                      borrowing
                      > privileges
                      > for a modest fee.

                      Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                      from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                      up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                      into that asap.

                      Thank You Again

                      Atsumori
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                        > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                        > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                        > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                        > into that asap.
                        Yale may have a separate East Asian library. For example, while
                        it is very difficult to get into the main Harvard library, the East
                        Asian
                        library at Harvard is in a separate building, is open to the public,
                        and has open stacks. I have not looked into getting borrowing
                        privileges there. The East Asian library at the University of
                        Toronto is in the same building as the main library, BUT unlike
                        the main library is open to the public.

                      • robertthelost
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                          Greetings Solveig-dono, *bows* (would that be correct, or would it be
                          Throndardottir-dono?)

                          I was just on the Yale library web-site and saw something about public
                          areas, still need to look more into it. Not sure if they have a
                          seperate East Asian building but did see a list of speacialty
                          buildings, none of which were Asian. Unfortunatly due to the holiday
                          everything is closed.

                          Thanks again for the University tip.

                          In Service
                          Atsumori
                        • Anthony Bryant
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                            On Jul 4, 2007, at 9:53 AM, robertthelost wrote:

                            > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                            > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                            > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                            > into that asap.

                            Yale has an incredible Asian collection. I hate you. ;)

                            Don't forget to check out the periodicals room, too. You can get a
                            lot of material from Monumenta Nipponica and the Journal of Far East
                            Asian Studies -- meaty articles, but they're shorter, self-contained,
                            and tend to have tighter focus than lots of books.