Re: [SCA-JML] Re:Jewels

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007

      > ---It might depend on the time period, but I'm under the impression
      > that such things as jewelry and ornaments were very heavily
      > restricted,
      > at least from Nara to Meiji.
      You do not see much in the way of jewelry in premodern Japan period.
      There are some odd hats especially early on. Also, if you go way way
      back, then you have the necklaces. But, that's pretty much it.
      > The Japanese seemed to be very fond of
      > sumptuary laws. :o) For example, anyone beneath the sixth rank was
      > forbidden to wear gold or silver, except on their armor, swords, and
      > official costumes. So if you were well-born, you might be important
      > enough to merit a gold hairpin. ;o)
      Actual examples involve cap ranks which restricted the construction,
      colour, and ornamentation of hats and the colour and composition of
      of official robes. I don't know about hairpin regulation.
      > There are Haniwa and Asuka figurines that wear Han-dynasty earrings
      > and
      > necklaces. You get lots of magatama-necklaces in tombs as well-- but I
      > would suspect those had strong religious connotations, rather than
      > being purely ornamental.
      This is also rather unfortunately, prehistoric. You do not see much
      in the
      way of this sort of thing once you start getting into the historical
      era.
      To compensate for those restrictions, a woman would convey her rank and
      > prestige through her clothing, rather than through accessories. I'm
      > most interested in the Heian period, so using that as an example, a
      > woman would wear colors that lower-ranking women were restricted from
      > wearing... or they would wear many layers of robes of such a quality
      > that a less wealthy woman could not afford.
      The quality, quantity, and tasteful arrangement of the robes are the
      big deal.
      Actually, I think it was Sei Shonagon that got all miffed about a
      lowlife
      doing a dance of thanksgiving.
      > robes was a shade off of the color it should have been. :o) I do know
      > that mo could not only be dyed or embroidered, but also embellished
      > with mother-of-pearl, semiprecious jewels, gold or silver foil, tiny
      > mirrors, etc.
      Are you sure about the mirrors? Mirrors are 1) rather sacred and 2)
      being of polished bronze don't work very well on clothing.
      Once you get into later periods, the sumptuary laws start getting more
      > restrictive. But the emphasis is always on clothes and materials and
      > subtle details, rather than on accessories as we think of them. :o)
      As I wrote earlier, there were restrictions on hats. The hats worn by
      the emperor could be rather extreme.

    • deanna.baran
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
        > Actual examples involve cap ranks which restricted the construction,
        > colour, and ornamentation of hats and the colour and composition of
        > of official robes.

        ---I've been looking for some good books in English on the subject of
        ranks and robes and protocol, but I haven't found anything thorough
        yet... any suggestions? :o)

        > Are you sure about the mirrors? Mirrors are 1) rather sacred and 2)
        > being of polished bronze don't work very well on clothing.

        ---The information re: gold, hairpins, and mirrors came from:
        The Traditional Arts of Japan: A Complete Illustrated Guide
        H. Batterson Boger
        Doubleday & Co., Inc.
        Garden City, New York 1964
        pp. 91, 289.

        Looking at what it says about mirrors (pp. 97-98), it says the
        Chinese had been casting bronze ones from at least the beginning of
        the Han Dynasty (which began 206 BC), and they were introduced to
        Japan at the end of the Han Dynasty (AD 220). Those dates may have
        changed based on subsequent archaeological evidence. :o) Post-
        Kofun/post-650, everywhere but Hokkaido stops being prehistoric. :o)
        By the time you get to Nara, they had developed mirrors that were
        artistically Japanese in shape and design, rather than just copying
        Chinese mirrors. They have interesting shapes (squares, six or eight
        lobes, eight or twelve-pointed), and are often decorated with birds,
        flowers, and landscapes. By the time you get to Heian period, it's
        distinct enough to be called a wakyo, or Japanese mirror, and they've
        made progress in becoming thinner. During Kamakura, they're often
        decorated in the e-uta/picture-poem style. And the ekagami, or
        handled-mirror, developed in Muromachi times, but became popular in
        Momoyama.

        While I don't disagree that the mirror has tremendous religious
        significance, especially to the Shinto, it seems that it had an
        undeniably secular usage as well.

        When it said "tiny mirrors", though, I can't help but wonder if they
        meant "tiny pieces of polished bronze." If full-sized mirrors are
        appearing in lobed shapes, it makes me think of a flower-shape... and
        I could see how, say, a mo appliqued with small, thin, polished
        and/or etched bronze blossoms could be considered attractive. I don't
        think it would be very technologically difficult; I'd be more curious
        as to whether they were only applied for wearing, and then removed
        afterwards, to keep from getting oxidization stains on the fabric.
        But yes, I agree, I wish it had been more clear, and possibly
        illustrated. :o)

        Thanks!
        -Deanna
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4, 2007

          > ---I've been looking for some good books in English on the subject of
          > ranks and robes and protocol, but I haven't found anything thorough
          > yet... any suggestions? :o)
          Learn Japanese? That is not quite as flip as it sounds. If you learn
          Japanese then you aren't dependent upon other folks getting around
          to translating the stuff you are interested in. However, you do become
          dependent upon 1) books available from U.S. libraries and 2) books
          which can be purchased from Japan. (Now that one is a truly heavy
          addiction. Pun intended.

          On a slightly more helpful note, there is an English Language guide
          to classical Japanese literature which has a lot of the stuff that you
          are interested in. However, the down side is that the last time I
          looked for it, I found a different book. So, I am not in a good position
          to point you to the correct volume. And, no, I'm not thinking of the
          Shining Prince guidebook. This is a much bigger book.