Re: [SCA-JML] Translation Help Please

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007

      >> I was just curious if anyone could possibly let me know how to
      >> say "pantless" or "the pantless" in Japanese? Yes I know its a weird
      >> question but I figured this was the best place to ask since all have
      >> you have been very helpful in the past.

      I have to strongly agree with Baron Edward on this one. "The Pantless"
      barely makes any sense in English to start with. I was off thinking of
      things like "zubon nashi".

    • robertthelost
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
        Greetings,

        It would be "Robert the Pantless". Although I have taken on a
        Japanese persona, before doin so I was trying to find out if anyone
        at a local event would be selling breeches so I might puchase some.
        In signing my post I signed Robert the Pantless and so some of the
        local group refer to me as "the pantless" or just "pantless". So I
        thought it would be funny for me to pick a common name (that I
        probably wont be able to register) as "the pantless"

        Thank You Again
        Atsumori

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> >
        Well, lacking any context...

        > The term "hadaashi" (lit. "bare-legged") comes to mind. Unless you
        > have something more specific.
        >
        > I often tell people in Japanese fora I'm on that, the more odd the
        > requested translation, the more critical the need for context.
        >

        > Effingham

      • robertthelost
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
          Greetings,

          > I was off thinking of
          > things like "zubon nashi".

          What is the translation of "zubon nashi"

          Yeah I am just looking for something along the lines of pantless. I
          do know that most translations are kind of off but since I'm kinda
          stuck with the name in the barony I figure I can have some fun with
          it and see if the Japanese word or translation of it would sound good
          and try to make it stick. Its all in good fun =)

          Tnx Again
          Yours In Service
          Atsumori
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! I really makes no sense as a nickname in
            most cultures that we study, let alone Japan. So, I'm afraid that you
            are out of luck. I'f there were something odd about your legs, then
            that might work for a nickname in several cultures.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007

              > What is the translation of "zubon nashi"

              zubon = pants
              nashi = none/without

              And no, it does not make sense as a name.

              > Yeah I am just looking for something along the lines of pantless. I
              > do know that most translations are kind of off but since I'm kinda
              > stuck with the name in the barony I figure I can have some fun with
              > it and see if the Japanese word or translation of it would sound good
              > and try to make it stick. Its all in good fun =)

              I plead with you not to do this thing. Yes, it will give you a momentary
              chuckle or two, but considering the official disdain with which Japanese
              research and recreation is held, you will not be advancing your cause.
              Further, I am simply giving you modern Japanese. And, no I will not
              endeavor to come up with something for you in classical Japanese. ARGH!
              Actually, classical Japanese is likely to be more long winded and lack a
              nice generic word for pants.

            • Ellen Badgley
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese, "Robert
                the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)

                - Abe Akirakeiko

                > Noble Cousin!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig!
                >
                > > What is the translation of "zubon nashi"
                >
                > zubon = pants
                > nashi = none/without
                >
                > And no, it does not make sense as a name.
                >
                > > Yeah I am just looking for something along the lines of pantless. I
                > > do know that most translations are kind of off but since I'm kinda
                > > stuck with the name in the barony I figure I can have some fun with
                > > it and see if the Japanese word or translation of it would sound good
                > > and try to make it stick. Its all in good fun =)
                >
                > I plead with you not to do this thing. Yes, it will give you a momentary
                > chuckle or two, but considering the official disdain with which Japanese
                > research and recreation is held, you will not be advancing your cause.
                > Further, I am simply giving you modern Japanese. And, no I will not
                > endeavor to come up with something for you in classical Japanese. ARGH!
                > Actually, classical Japanese is likely to be more long winded and lack a
                > nice generic word for pants.
                >
                > Your Humble Servant
                > Solveig Throndardottir
                > Amateur Scholar

              • Anthony Bryant
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                  On Jul 3, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Ellen Badgley wrote:

                  > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese,
                  > "Robert
                  > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)
                  >
                  > -
                  Well, there is the Norse name "Broclos" (lit. "breech-less") -- it
                  became a byname (and then a surname) in England as Brekeles.

                  But yeah, it doesn't really work in Japanese.

                  Effingham
                  (too long a herald)
                • Rei Shounagon
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:

                    > On Jul 3, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Ellen Badgley wrote:
                    >
                    > > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so
                    > well in Japanese,
                    > > "Robert
                    > > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my
                    > opinion. :)
                    > >
                    > > -
                    > Well, there is the Norse name "Broclos" (lit.
                    > "breech-less") -- it
                    > became a byname (and then a surname) in England as
                    > Brekeles.

                    On reading the original question, this person
                    immediately thought of "pantsu nashi".

                    Rei

                    Need a vacation? Get great deals
                    to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                    http://travel.yahoo.com/
                  • robertthelost
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                      Greetings All,

                      > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese,
                      > "Robert the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)

                      Yeah I actually dont mind the name other than Robert is my real name.
                      I might try to register it as a second name since it isnt to bad and
                      in a way i'm somewhat stuck with it for now.

                      > zubon = pants
                      > nashi = none/without

                      > And no, it does not make sense as a name.

                      Thank you for the translation. Yeah I figured it wouldnt make sense
                      as a name since from what little I know (but still researching) there
                      wasnt really a word for pants.

                      > I plead with you not to do this thing. Yes, it will give you a
                      > momentary chuckle or two, but considering the official disdain with
                      > which Japanese research and recreation is held, you will not be
                      > advancing your cause. Further, I am simply giving you modern
                      > Japanese.

                      I do admire the Japanese culture very much and I do not wish to mock
                      in anyway their past, present or future. I kind of knew there wouldnt
                      be any real acurate translation but I figured I'd ask to see. Part of
                      from what I've been learning from the SCA is that it is sopposed to
                      be fun and so I was just trying to possibly get that little bit of
                      into fun into the name. Its kinda like, with the help of all of you
                      here, I finally was able to settle on the name Atsumori. Well at the
                      last practice I went to I mentioned that I had decided on a name and
                      I told someone Atsumori, well their response was "Atsumori with you"
                      yeah see fun =)

                      > And, no I will not endeavor to come up with something for you in
                      > classical Japanese. ARGH! Actually, classical Japanese is likely
                      > to be more long winded and lack a nice generic word for pants.

                      *big smile* My appologizes M'lady Solveig, I did not mean for you
                      to "ARGH" =) You are actually one of the ones I look forward to
                      seeing a response from, why I'm not sure, but you are. thank you
                      again *kneels* *bows low* *then stands up and gives ya a big hug* =)

                      My persona and my research has been on going for a while now. I have
                      looked into all the periods from 600 to 1600AD. they are all very
                      intresting in their own way. I have not looked into the language
                      itself at the moment because if I did it would be way to much to take
                      in at one time. I just want all you to know that I am studying as
                      much as I can and dont want you all to think I'm just trying to get
                      the easy way out by asking everything here. I enjoy studing the
                      culture and have gained alot of knowledge that has enlightened me.

                      Once again thank you all very much, you have all been very helpful
                      and kind. I do appreciate all the responses and if anyone happens to
                      think of a fun "nick name" let me know.

                      In Service
                      Ashikaga Atsumori A.K.A Robert the Pantless
                    • Ellen Badgley
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                        Except "pantsu" generally means "underwear", I believe (but that just makes
                        it funnier).

                        This whole topic reminds me of the "wannabe" ashigaru in the latest Zatoichi
                        movie:

                        http://halfnakedguyrunningaroundwithaspearandyelling.ytmnd.com/
                        (Yes, that is a real link.)

                        - Abe Akirakeiko

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "robertthelost" <drunken-savage@...>
                          wrote:
                          > Part of from what I've been learning from the SCA is that it is
                          > sopposed to be fun and so I was just trying to possibly get that
                          > little bit of into fun into the name.

                          Please, before you break your heart and bruise your forehead on that
                          brick wall, go read this: http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html
                          It explains in depth what sorts of names are registerable and why.
                          Ideally, your registerable name should be one that could have existed
                          in the period and culture you're supposed to be from, right down to
                          the spelling. If that culture was not using the word "pants," you
                          can't be "pantsless." Talk to your local herald.

                          Secondly, speaking as one who chose a joke nickname and outgrew it,
                          think very hard about whether you want to be living with it next year,
                          five years from now, ten years from now.

                          thank you
                          > again *kneels* *bows low* *then stands up and gives ya a big hug*
                          Eeeek! He hugged her! In front of Buddha and all the neighbors!!!!!!
                          (How very unJapanese.....)

                          > My persona and my research has been on going for a while now. I have
                          > looked into all the periods from 600 to 1600AD. they are all very
                          > intresting in their own way. I have not looked into the language
                          > itself at the moment because if I did it would be way to much to take
                          > in at one time.
                          Don't neglect the language or literature. It's a very important part
                          of any culture. You can learn a lot about things by reading what they
                          read, even if it's in translation.

                          > Once again thank you all very much, you have all been very helpful
                          > and kind. I do appreciate all the responses and if anyone happens to
                          > think of a fun "nick name" let me know.

                          The thing about a "fun" nickname is it's fun for the person who thinks
                          them up and a burden upon the hapless shmo who gets stuck with it.
                          Such as "Turd Blossom," one of Our Commander In Chief's inventions for
                          his deputy chief of staff. Be careful what you wish for.

                        • robertthelost
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                            Greetings All,

                            > Except "pantsu" generally means "underwear", I believe (but that
                            just makes
                            > it funnier).

                            LOL yeah I just hope knowone from the barony see's that one =)

                            > Please, before you break your heart and bruise your forehead on that
                            > brick wall, go read this: http://www.sca org/heraldry/ laurel/rfs.
                            > html
                            > It explains in depth what sorts of names are registerable and why.
                            > Ideally, your registerable name should be one that could have
                            > existed
                            > in the period and culture you're supposed to be from, right down to
                            > the spelling. If that culture was not using the word "pants," you
                            > can't be "pantsless." Talk to your local herald.

                            I am pretty new to the SCA but I have read most of the materials for
                            most of the things I am trying to attempt. The name I have chosen,
                            with ALOT of help from this group is "Ashikaga Atsumori" the common
                            name I am still up in the air about, it being "Ichiro". The whole
                            pantless thing was more of a joke that I got stuck with. When I'm
                            introduced to people now i'm kind of introduced as "The Pantless". So
                            I thought it would be good for myself to atleast know some form of
                            that in Japanese atleast just for kicks.

                            > Secondly, speaking as one who chose a joke nickname and outgrew it,
                            > think very hard about whether you want to be living with it next
                            > year,
                            > five years from now, ten years from now.

                            Honestly yeah I think I cuould. Its just something that would be
                            funny atleast for myself and would make a good convesation piece. I'm
                            normally shy and soft spoken so if anyone is wondering why people
                            call me that I would have something to kind of break the ice with.
                            also with a Japanese persona I could wear just a kosode with out
                            pants if I where a peasant type or a skirt type hakama which arnt
                            pants aswell. So I can see some conection but its just a matter of
                            conecting it all =)

                            > Don't neglect the language or literature. It's a very important part
                            > of any culture. You can learn a lot about things by reading what
                            > they
                            > read, even if it's in translation.

                            Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
                            in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
                            when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
                            but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
                            Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
                            a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.

                            > The thing about a "fun" nickname is it's fun for the person who
                            > thinks
                            > them up and a burden upon the hapless shmo who gets stuck with it.
                            > Such as "Turd Blossom," one of Our Commander In Chief's inventions
                            > for
                            > his deputy chief of staff. Be careful what you wish for.

                            Yeah most of the time a given nick name might not be fun for the
                            person being called it. That I do understand, but this one I kinda
                            jokinly gave to myself not thinking anything of it and well, everyone
                            else I guess enjoyed it and found that people knew me better from my
                            posts by that name. And so The Pantless was born =)

                            Thank You All Again
                            Yours In Service
                            Atsumori
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                              > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese,
                              > "Robert
                              > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)

                              While it may be "witty", it is unlikely to stand a chance in the
                              College of Arms.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                > On reading the original question, this person
                                > immediately thought of "pantsu nashi".
                                Unfortunately, "pantsu" means "panties" in Japanese.
                                Watch out for Japanese "Eigo" it frequently means
                                things that you do not suspect.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                  > This whole topic reminds me of the "wannabe" ashigaru in the latest
                                  > Zatoichi
                                  > movie:
                                  >
                                  > http://halfnakedguyrunningaroundwithaspearandyelling.ytmnd.com/
                                  > (Yes, that is a real link.)

                                  Many, if not all, of the Zatoichi movies express a kind of bitter-
                                  sweet humor.
                                  One outstanding example of humor in a way is when Zatoichi is
                                  attacked in
                                  a forrest. He of course dispatches all of his assailants. But, at the
                                  end of a
                                  quiet shot immediately after the battle, a tree falls over.

                                  Please understand that "blind men" is one of the categories of the
                                  kyougen
                                  theatre of medieval Japan. Kyougen became fused at the hip with the Noh
                                  theatre, but is itself an improvisational comic theatrical form. You
                                  see a
                                  brief glimpse of kyougen immediately before the Ninja attack in Last
                                  Samurai. The kyougen performance is individually mentioned in the film
                                  credits at the end of the movie.

                                  If anyone here is interested in experimenting with a Japanese theatrical
                                  form which is somewhat similar to Comedia Del'Arte, then they should
                                  consider coming to the workshop that I sometimes run at Pennsic.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                    On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:52 PM, robertthelost wrote:
                                    > Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
                                    > in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
                                    > when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
                                    > but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
                                    > Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
                                    > a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.
                                    Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian who
                                    handles
                                    interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
                                    desk. They
                                    will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere around
                                    the
                                    reference section. You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
                                    now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
                                    rather complete citation information.

                                    Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
                                    borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library. For
                                    example,
                                    local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also, some
                                    university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you borrowing
                                    privileges
                                    for a modest fee.

                                  • robertthelost
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                                      Greetings,

                                      > Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian
                                      who
                                      > handles
                                      > interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
                                      > desk. They
                                      > will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere
                                      around
                                      > the
                                      > reference section.

                                      Cool thanks I might go there tomorrow since its closed today and
                                      check that out.

                                      > You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
                                      > now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
                                      > rather complete citation information.

                                      Yeah my local library has a card cat online that also has the librays
                                      in nearby towns but I havent been able to find to much yet. I will
                                      look into Worldcat though.

                                      > Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
                                      > borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library.
                                      For
                                      > example,
                                      > local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also,
                                      some
                                      > university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you
                                      borrowing
                                      > privileges
                                      > for a modest fee.

                                      Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                                      from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                                      up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                                      into that asap.

                                      Thank You Again

                                      Atsumori
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                        > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                                        > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                                        > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                                        > into that asap.
                                        Yale may have a separate East Asian library. For example, while
                                        it is very difficult to get into the main Harvard library, the East
                                        Asian
                                        library at Harvard is in a separate building, is open to the public,
                                        and has open stacks. I have not looked into getting borrowing
                                        privileges there. The East Asian library at the University of
                                        Toronto is in the same building as the main library, BUT unlike
                                        the main library is open to the public.

                                      • robertthelost
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                                          Greetings Solveig-dono, *bows* (would that be correct, or would it be
                                          Throndardottir-dono?)

                                          I was just on the Yale library web-site and saw something about public
                                          areas, still need to look more into it. Not sure if they have a
                                          seperate East Asian building but did see a list of speacialty
                                          buildings, none of which were Asian. Unfortunatly due to the holiday
                                          everything is closed.

                                          Thanks again for the University tip.

                                          In Service
                                          Atsumori
                                        • Anthony Bryant
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                                            On Jul 4, 2007, at 9:53 AM, robertthelost wrote:

                                            > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                                            > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                                            > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                                            > into that asap.

                                            Yale has an incredible Asian collection. I hate you. ;)

                                            Don't forget to check out the periodicals room, too. You can get a
                                            lot of material from Monumenta Nipponica and the Journal of Far East
                                            Asian Studies -- meaty articles, but they're shorter, self-contained,
                                            and tend to have tighter focus than lots of books.