Translation Help Please

  • robertthelost
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
      Greetings

      I was just curious if anyone could possibly let me know how to
      say "pantless" or "the pantless" in Japanese? Yes I know its a weird
      question but I figured this was the best place to ask since all have
      you have been very helpful in the past.

      Thank You All Again
      Yours In Service
      Atsumori
    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
        On Jul 2, 2007, at 6:21 AM, robertthelost wrote:

        > Greetings
        >
        > I was just curious if anyone could possibly let me know how to
        > say "pantless" or "the pantless" in Japanese? Yes I know its a weird
        > question but I figured this was the best place to ask since all have
        > you have been very helpful in the past.

        Well, lacking any context...

        The term "hadaashi" (lit. "bare-legged") comes to mind. Unless you
        have something more specific.

        I often tell people in Japanese fora I'm on that, the more odd the
        requested translation, the more critical the need for context.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007

          >> I was just curious if anyone could possibly let me know how to
          >> say "pantless" or "the pantless" in Japanese? Yes I know its a weird
          >> question but I figured this was the best place to ask since all have
          >> you have been very helpful in the past.

          I have to strongly agree with Baron Edward on this one. "The Pantless"
          barely makes any sense in English to start with. I was off thinking of
          things like "zubon nashi".

        • robertthelost
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
            Greetings,

            It would be "Robert the Pantless". Although I have taken on a
            Japanese persona, before doin so I was trying to find out if anyone
            at a local event would be selling breeches so I might puchase some.
            In signing my post I signed Robert the Pantless and so some of the
            local group refer to me as "the pantless" or just "pantless". So I
            thought it would be funny for me to pick a common name (that I
            probably wont be able to register) as "the pantless"

            Thank You Again
            Atsumori

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> >
            Well, lacking any context...

            > The term "hadaashi" (lit. "bare-legged") comes to mind. Unless you
            > have something more specific.
            >
            > I often tell people in Japanese fora I'm on that, the more odd the
            > requested translation, the more critical the need for context.
            >

            > Effingham

          • robertthelost
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007
              Greetings,

              > I was off thinking of
              > things like "zubon nashi".

              What is the translation of "zubon nashi"

              Yeah I am just looking for something along the lines of pantless. I
              do know that most translations are kind of off but since I'm kinda
              stuck with the name in the barony I figure I can have some fun with
              it and see if the Japanese word or translation of it would sound good
              and try to make it stick. Its all in good fun =)

              Tnx Again
              Yours In Service
              Atsumori
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007

                Greetings from Solveig! I really makes no sense as a nickname in
                most cultures that we study, let alone Japan. So, I'm afraid that you
                are out of luck. I'f there were something odd about your legs, then
                that might work for a nickname in several cultures.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2007

                  > What is the translation of "zubon nashi"

                  zubon = pants
                  nashi = none/without

                  And no, it does not make sense as a name.

                  > Yeah I am just looking for something along the lines of pantless. I
                  > do know that most translations are kind of off but since I'm kinda
                  > stuck with the name in the barony I figure I can have some fun with
                  > it and see if the Japanese word or translation of it would sound good
                  > and try to make it stick. Its all in good fun =)

                  I plead with you not to do this thing. Yes, it will give you a momentary
                  chuckle or two, but considering the official disdain with which Japanese
                  research and recreation is held, you will not be advancing your cause.
                  Further, I am simply giving you modern Japanese. And, no I will not
                  endeavor to come up with something for you in classical Japanese. ARGH!
                  Actually, classical Japanese is likely to be more long winded and lack a
                  nice generic word for pants.

                • Ellen Badgley
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                    I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese, "Robert
                    the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)

                    - Abe Akirakeiko

                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig!
                    >
                    > > What is the translation of "zubon nashi"
                    >
                    > zubon = pants
                    > nashi = none/without
                    >
                    > And no, it does not make sense as a name.
                    >
                    > > Yeah I am just looking for something along the lines of pantless. I
                    > > do know that most translations are kind of off but since I'm kinda
                    > > stuck with the name in the barony I figure I can have some fun with
                    > > it and see if the Japanese word or translation of it would sound good
                    > > and try to make it stick. Its all in good fun =)
                    >
                    > I plead with you not to do this thing. Yes, it will give you a momentary
                    > chuckle or two, but considering the official disdain with which Japanese
                    > research and recreation is held, you will not be advancing your cause.
                    > Further, I am simply giving you modern Japanese. And, no I will not
                    > endeavor to come up with something for you in classical Japanese. ARGH!
                    > Actually, classical Japanese is likely to be more long winded and lack a
                    > nice generic word for pants.
                    >
                    > Your Humble Servant
                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                    > Amateur Scholar

                  • Anthony Bryant
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                      On Jul 3, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Ellen Badgley wrote:

                      > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese,
                      > "Robert
                      > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)
                      >
                      > -
                      Well, there is the Norse name "Broclos" (lit. "breech-less") -- it
                      became a byname (and then a surname) in England as Brekeles.

                      But yeah, it doesn't really work in Japanese.

                      Effingham
                      (too long a herald)
                    • Rei Shounagon
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                        Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:

                        > On Jul 3, 2007, at 8:48 AM, Ellen Badgley wrote:
                        >
                        > > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so
                        > well in Japanese,
                        > > "Robert
                        > > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my
                        > opinion. :)
                        > >
                        > > -
                        > Well, there is the Norse name "Broclos" (lit.
                        > "breech-less") -- it
                        > became a byname (and then a surname) in England as
                        > Brekeles.

                        On reading the original question, this person
                        immediately thought of "pantsu nashi".

                        Rei

                        Need a vacation? Get great deals
                        to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                        http://travel.yahoo.com/
                      • robertthelost
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                          Greetings All,

                          > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese,
                          > "Robert the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)

                          Yeah I actually dont mind the name other than Robert is my real name.
                          I might try to register it as a second name since it isnt to bad and
                          in a way i'm somewhat stuck with it for now.

                          > zubon = pants
                          > nashi = none/without

                          > And no, it does not make sense as a name.

                          Thank you for the translation. Yeah I figured it wouldnt make sense
                          as a name since from what little I know (but still researching) there
                          wasnt really a word for pants.

                          > I plead with you not to do this thing. Yes, it will give you a
                          > momentary chuckle or two, but considering the official disdain with
                          > which Japanese research and recreation is held, you will not be
                          > advancing your cause. Further, I am simply giving you modern
                          > Japanese.

                          I do admire the Japanese culture very much and I do not wish to mock
                          in anyway their past, present or future. I kind of knew there wouldnt
                          be any real acurate translation but I figured I'd ask to see. Part of
                          from what I've been learning from the SCA is that it is sopposed to
                          be fun and so I was just trying to possibly get that little bit of
                          into fun into the name. Its kinda like, with the help of all of you
                          here, I finally was able to settle on the name Atsumori. Well at the
                          last practice I went to I mentioned that I had decided on a name and
                          I told someone Atsumori, well their response was "Atsumori with you"
                          yeah see fun =)

                          > And, no I will not endeavor to come up with something for you in
                          > classical Japanese. ARGH! Actually, classical Japanese is likely
                          > to be more long winded and lack a nice generic word for pants.

                          *big smile* My appologizes M'lady Solveig, I did not mean for you
                          to "ARGH" =) You are actually one of the ones I look forward to
                          seeing a response from, why I'm not sure, but you are. thank you
                          again *kneels* *bows low* *then stands up and gives ya a big hug* =)

                          My persona and my research has been on going for a while now. I have
                          looked into all the periods from 600 to 1600AD. they are all very
                          intresting in their own way. I have not looked into the language
                          itself at the moment because if I did it would be way to much to take
                          in at one time. I just want all you to know that I am studying as
                          much as I can and dont want you all to think I'm just trying to get
                          the easy way out by asking everything here. I enjoy studing the
                          culture and have gained alot of knowledge that has enlightened me.

                          Once again thank you all very much, you have all been very helpful
                          and kind. I do appreciate all the responses and if anyone happens to
                          think of a fun "nick name" let me know.

                          In Service
                          Ashikaga Atsumori A.K.A Robert the Pantless
                        • Ellen Badgley
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                            Except "pantsu" generally means "underwear", I believe (but that just makes
                            it funnier).

                            This whole topic reminds me of the "wannabe" ashigaru in the latest Zatoichi
                            movie:

                            http://halfnakedguyrunningaroundwithaspearandyelling.ytmnd.com/
                            (Yes, that is a real link.)

                            - Abe Akirakeiko

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "robertthelost" <drunken-savage@...>
                              wrote:
                              > Part of from what I've been learning from the SCA is that it is
                              > sopposed to be fun and so I was just trying to possibly get that
                              > little bit of into fun into the name.

                              Please, before you break your heart and bruise your forehead on that
                              brick wall, go read this: http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html
                              It explains in depth what sorts of names are registerable and why.
                              Ideally, your registerable name should be one that could have existed
                              in the period and culture you're supposed to be from, right down to
                              the spelling. If that culture was not using the word "pants," you
                              can't be "pantsless." Talk to your local herald.

                              Secondly, speaking as one who chose a joke nickname and outgrew it,
                              think very hard about whether you want to be living with it next year,
                              five years from now, ten years from now.

                              thank you
                              > again *kneels* *bows low* *then stands up and gives ya a big hug*
                              Eeeek! He hugged her! In front of Buddha and all the neighbors!!!!!!
                              (How very unJapanese.....)

                              > My persona and my research has been on going for a while now. I have
                              > looked into all the periods from 600 to 1600AD. they are all very
                              > intresting in their own way. I have not looked into the language
                              > itself at the moment because if I did it would be way to much to take
                              > in at one time.
                              Don't neglect the language or literature. It's a very important part
                              of any culture. You can learn a lot about things by reading what they
                              read, even if it's in translation.

                              > Once again thank you all very much, you have all been very helpful
                              > and kind. I do appreciate all the responses and if anyone happens to
                              > think of a fun "nick name" let me know.

                              The thing about a "fun" nickname is it's fun for the person who thinks
                              them up and a burden upon the hapless shmo who gets stuck with it.
                              Such as "Turd Blossom," one of Our Commander In Chief's inventions for
                              his deputy chief of staff. Be careful what you wish for.

                            • robertthelost
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 3, 2007
                                Greetings All,

                                > Except "pantsu" generally means "underwear", I believe (but that
                                just makes
                                > it funnier).

                                LOL yeah I just hope knowone from the barony see's that one =)

                                > Please, before you break your heart and bruise your forehead on that
                                > brick wall, go read this: http://www.sca org/heraldry/ laurel/rfs.
                                > html
                                > It explains in depth what sorts of names are registerable and why.
                                > Ideally, your registerable name should be one that could have
                                > existed
                                > in the period and culture you're supposed to be from, right down to
                                > the spelling. If that culture was not using the word "pants," you
                                > can't be "pantsless." Talk to your local herald.

                                I am pretty new to the SCA but I have read most of the materials for
                                most of the things I am trying to attempt. The name I have chosen,
                                with ALOT of help from this group is "Ashikaga Atsumori" the common
                                name I am still up in the air about, it being "Ichiro". The whole
                                pantless thing was more of a joke that I got stuck with. When I'm
                                introduced to people now i'm kind of introduced as "The Pantless". So
                                I thought it would be good for myself to atleast know some form of
                                that in Japanese atleast just for kicks.

                                > Secondly, speaking as one who chose a joke nickname and outgrew it,
                                > think very hard about whether you want to be living with it next
                                > year,
                                > five years from now, ten years from now.

                                Honestly yeah I think I cuould. Its just something that would be
                                funny atleast for myself and would make a good convesation piece. I'm
                                normally shy and soft spoken so if anyone is wondering why people
                                call me that I would have something to kind of break the ice with.
                                also with a Japanese persona I could wear just a kosode with out
                                pants if I where a peasant type or a skirt type hakama which arnt
                                pants aswell. So I can see some conection but its just a matter of
                                conecting it all =)

                                > Don't neglect the language or literature. It's a very important part
                                > of any culture. You can learn a lot about things by reading what
                                > they
                                > read, even if it's in translation.

                                Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
                                in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
                                when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
                                but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
                                Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
                                a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.

                                > The thing about a "fun" nickname is it's fun for the person who
                                > thinks
                                > them up and a burden upon the hapless shmo who gets stuck with it.
                                > Such as "Turd Blossom," one of Our Commander In Chief's inventions
                                > for
                                > his deputy chief of staff. Be careful what you wish for.

                                Yeah most of the time a given nick name might not be fun for the
                                person being called it. That I do understand, but this one I kinda
                                jokinly gave to myself not thinking anything of it and well, everyone
                                else I guess enjoyed it and found that people knew me better from my
                                posts by that name. And so The Pantless was born =)

                                Thank You All Again
                                Yours In Service
                                Atsumori
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                  > I do have to say that even if it doesn't work so well in Japanese,
                                  > "Robert
                                  > the Pantless" is an AWESOME SCA name, in my opinion. :)

                                  While it may be "witty", it is unlikely to stand a chance in the
                                  College of Arms.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                    > On reading the original question, this person
                                    > immediately thought of "pantsu nashi".
                                    Unfortunately, "pantsu" means "panties" in Japanese.
                                    Watch out for Japanese "Eigo" it frequently means
                                    things that you do not suspect.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                      > This whole topic reminds me of the "wannabe" ashigaru in the latest
                                      > Zatoichi
                                      > movie:
                                      >
                                      > http://halfnakedguyrunningaroundwithaspearandyelling.ytmnd.com/
                                      > (Yes, that is a real link.)

                                      Many, if not all, of the Zatoichi movies express a kind of bitter-
                                      sweet humor.
                                      One outstanding example of humor in a way is when Zatoichi is
                                      attacked in
                                      a forrest. He of course dispatches all of his assailants. But, at the
                                      end of a
                                      quiet shot immediately after the battle, a tree falls over.

                                      Please understand that "blind men" is one of the categories of the
                                      kyougen
                                      theatre of medieval Japan. Kyougen became fused at the hip with the Noh
                                      theatre, but is itself an improvisational comic theatrical form. You
                                      see a
                                      brief glimpse of kyougen immediately before the Ninja attack in Last
                                      Samurai. The kyougen performance is individually mentioned in the film
                                      credits at the end of the movie.

                                      If anyone here is interested in experimenting with a Japanese theatrical
                                      form which is somewhat similar to Comedia Del'Arte, then they should
                                      consider coming to the workshop that I sometimes run at Pennsic.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                        On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:52 PM, robertthelost wrote:
                                        > Oh know dont get me wrong I have looked at as much info as I can with
                                        > in reason. But at the moment I'm trying to get the time frame from
                                        > when I want my persona to be. I have learned alot of words and all
                                        > but I just havent tried to concentrate on just the language.
                                        > Literature is kind of hard to find at my local library but I do have
                                        > a list of books I would like to buy as soon as my funds allow it.
                                        Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian who
                                        handles
                                        interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
                                        desk. They
                                        will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere around
                                        the
                                        reference section. You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
                                        now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
                                        rather complete citation information.

                                        Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
                                        borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library. For
                                        example,
                                        local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also, some
                                        university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you borrowing
                                        privileges
                                        for a modest fee.

                                      • robertthelost
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                                          Greetings,

                                          > Next time you visit your local library, try to meet the librarian
                                          who
                                          > handles
                                          > interlibrary loan. They will most likely not be at the circulation
                                          > desk. They
                                          > will most likely be sitting at a regular office desk somewhere
                                          around
                                          > the
                                          > reference section.

                                          Cool thanks I might go there tomorrow since its closed today and
                                          check that out.

                                          > You can even help the process a bit as WorldCat is
                                          > now publicly available online. This means that you can come in with
                                          > rather complete citation information.

                                          Yeah my local library has a card cat online that also has the librays
                                          in nearby towns but I havent been able to find to much yet. I will
                                          look into Worldcat though.

                                          > Depending upon where exactly you are living, you may have access to
                                          > borrowing rights at libraries other than your local town library.
                                          For
                                          > example,
                                          > local college libraries may be in a consortium arrangement. Also,
                                          some
                                          > university research libraries (e.g. Cornell) will sell you
                                          borrowing
                                          > privileges
                                          > for a modest fee.

                                          Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                                          from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                                          up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                                          into that asap.

                                          Thank You Again

                                          Atsumori
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007

                                            > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                                            > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                                            > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                                            > into that asap.
                                            Yale may have a separate East Asian library. For example, while
                                            it is very difficult to get into the main Harvard library, the East
                                            Asian
                                            library at Harvard is in a separate building, is open to the public,
                                            and has open stacks. I have not looked into getting borrowing
                                            privileges there. The East Asian library at the University of
                                            Toronto is in the same building as the main library, BUT unlike
                                            the main library is open to the public.

                                          • robertthelost
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                                              Greetings Solveig-dono, *bows* (would that be correct, or would it be
                                              Throndardottir-dono?)

                                              I was just on the Yale library web-site and saw something about public
                                              areas, still need to look more into it. Not sure if they have a
                                              seperate East Asian building but did see a list of speacialty
                                              buildings, none of which were Asian. Unfortunatly due to the holiday
                                              everything is closed.

                                              Thanks again for the University tip.

                                              In Service
                                              Atsumori
                                            • Anthony Bryant
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 4, 2007
                                                On Jul 4, 2007, at 9:53 AM, robertthelost wrote:

                                                > Now that I would be very intrested in. I'm no more than 5 min away
                                                > from Yale and if I could get into there library I think I would set
                                                > up a tent right outside =) Thanks for that info I will definatly look
                                                > into that asap.

                                                Yale has an incredible Asian collection. I hate you. ;)

                                                Don't forget to check out the periodicals room, too. You can get a
                                                lot of material from Monumenta Nipponica and the Journal of Far East
                                                Asian Studies -- meaty articles, but they're shorter, self-contained,
                                                and tend to have tighter focus than lots of books.