Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 2436

  • Leah Lloyd
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28 12:06 PM
      Ooh, I know this one. If I recall correctly, the Taira fled the
      capital with the treasures and the child Emperor, Antoku-tenno. At Dan
      no Ura, when it was clear that they were about to be captured at sea,
      his grandmother leapt into the water with him in her arms. His mother
      also tried to drown herself, but was rescued by their Minamoto
      enemies. The treasures sank as well. The jewel and mirror were
      recovered, but the sword supposedly was lost.

      Saionji no Hanae

      Mokurai gave me this link a while back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsxo3pFpBYI "This is the prologue (8min) for "Hoichi the Earless" a segment of the classic 1965 film Kwaidan - a series of four Japanese ghost stories based on the works of Lafcadio Hearn. This prologue illustrates the events of the epic sea battle of Dan-no-Ura (1185 CE). The battle brought to an end the Genpei War - the clash of the houses of Minamoto and Taira. The formerly ruling Taira clan was wiped out. Many drowned themselves in the bay rather than submit, the infant Emperor among them. To this day, the bay is said to be haunted by their ghosts. This, my child, is why the crabs of Dan-no-ura carry the faces of the dead drawn upon their backs."

      Danabren/Kurokamakiri

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28 3:00 PM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Leah Lloyd <danabren@...> wrote:

        > Mokurai gave me this link a while back -
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsxo3pFpBYI "This is the prologue
        (8min) for "Hoichi the Earless" a segment of the classic 1965 film
        Kwaidan - a series of four Japanese ghost stories based on the works
        of Lafcadio Hearn.

        I love that movie. "Mimi-nashi-Hoichi" works very well for bardic
        circle material. Just don't let Otagiri-dono try to con you into
        getting into a boat with him. -;D

        Saionji no Stayin' Away From The Lake!
        West
      • Nick starnes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28 4:22 PM
          The Japanese no how to create tension and Drama. Wow. Thanks I enjoyed that.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 28 7:46 PM
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Nick starnes <vns2112@...> wrote:

            > The Japanese no how to create tension and Drama. Wow. Thanks I
            enjoyed that.

            Criterion released "Kwaidan" on DVD. Check the foreign film section of
            your video store and enjoy the whole thing.

            Saionji no Hanae
            West