question about the Three Sacred Treasures

  • Tracie Ellis
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27, 2007
      Hello all,

      I am researching crown jewels, and royal regalia as part of an overall
      series of gemstone uses in history (tentative titling), and have run
      across an account on Search.com (part of or related to Wikipedia,
      more's the pity) on these sacred relics, and I was wondering if anyone
      here had any good references to list.

      The sacred treasures include a sword, called Kusanagi; a mirror,
      called Yata no kagami; and a piece of jewelry, either made of one
      jadeite magatama or several, and called Yasakani no magatama.

      The initial information is found here:
      http://www.search.com/reference/Imperial_Regalia_of_Japan

      Thanks for any and all assistance!

      YIS,

      Miriel

      --
      "There but for the grace of a demented deity, go I" - Tales of the
      Folly, by A. Fesler

      If you want handmade, ask an artist, if you want perfection, get it
      from a machine. T. Ellis
    • Diane Taylor
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 27, 2007
        You might try looking for references in Stephen Turnbull's books. I once saw a piece about this on History International... the reference was that, at the battle of Dan no Ura, 1185, The jewel and the sword went down with the child whom the Minamoto supported. The mirror, however, survived because it was carried by someone else.

        I believe the jewel was later recovered, but the sword was never found. Hrmmmm, a storyline... *evil grin*

        Anyways, my suggestion would be to look through the references in Stephen Turnbull's books. IMHO, they're the ones most likely to point you in the right direction.

        Hope this helps.
        Qara

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 27, 2007

          > You might try looking for references in Stephen Turnbull's books.
          > I once saw a piece about this on History International... the
          > reference was that, at the battle of Dan no Ura, 1185, The jewel
          > and the sword went down with the child whom the Minamoto
          > supported. The mirror, however, survived because it was carried by
          > someone else.

          I'm pretty sure that it was the child-emperor related to the Taira
          who died in that battle.

          > Anyways, my suggestion would be to look through the references in
          > Stephen Turnbull's books. IMHO, they're the ones most likely to
          > point you in the right direction.

          I believe that the Cambridge History of Japan would do a somewhat
          better job.

          You may also be interested in:

          Antiquity and Anachronism in Japanese History Jeffrey P. Mass
          The Emergence of Japanese Kingship Joan R. Piggott
          The Japanese Enthronement Ceremonies Daniel Clarence Holtom

          The earlier write who expressed interest in "warrior monks" might be
          interested in reading:

          The Gates of Power: Monks, Courtiers, and Warriors in Premodern Japan

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 27, 2007
            wrote:
            > I'm pretty sure that it was the child-emperor related to the Taira
            > who died in that battle.

            Ooh, I know this one. If I recall correctly, the Taira fled the
            capital with the treasures and the child Emperor, Antoku-tenno. At Dan
            no Ura, when it was clear that they were about to be captured at sea,
            his grandmother leapt into the water with him in her arms. His mother
            also tried to drown herself, but was rescued by their Minamoto
            enemies. The treasures sank as well. The jewel and mirror were
            recovered, but the sword supposedly was lost.

            The treasures are associated with the legend of the sun goddess
            Amaterasu.

            More as I find it,
            Saionji no Hanae
            West
          • Diane Taylor
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 27, 2007
              My apologies, Solveig, for my goof in Historical facts.

              As to the sources, I basically sorted through what I had in the way of books. *smiles* I knew there were more people out there that had better sources.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 27, 2007
                Oh.. Oh...*grinning excitedly* I know one of the stories about Amaterasu and the Mirror. I found that tidbit out 4 years ago while I was researching the shrines of Kamakura for a book I was writing.

                Want to hear?

                The treasures are associated with the legend of the sun goddess
                Amaterasu.

                More as I find it,
                Saionji no Hanae
                West

                Keep in touch,
                Diane Taylor
                http://dianet8.tripod.com

                Join me at the Jade Kitsune:

                Majestic Lion: Available now at Triskelion Publishing
                Ares in Chains: Now Available!

                Writers don't get mad, They write Books!

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 28, 2007

                  Greetings from Solveig! Oh all right, I pulled my copy of Holton off
                  the shelf.

                  The three sacred treasures are:

                  1. The Yata Mirror
                  2. The Yasakani Curved Jewels
                  3. The Kusanagi Sword

                  Holton (p. 5) claims that the Yata Mirror is the most revered of the
                  three treasures. The reason for this is obvious as it is directly
                  related to the mirror used to lure Amaterasu no Mikoto out of the cave.

                  Supposably, the original Yata Mirror has been enshrined at the the
                  Daijingu of Ise since 29 BCE. Thus, the one used for enthronement
                  ceremonies is a copy. This replica of the Yata Mirror has been
                  enshrined in the Naishi-dokoro of the Imperial Palace since the close
                  of the Heian period (p. 40). The replica mirror was damaged by fire
                  in 960 CE. (p. 41). The Naishi-dokoro burned down in 1005 CE, but the
                  badly damaged replica mirror was recovered (p. 41). The copy of the
                  Yata Mirror was damaged again in 1040 CE. This time only a small
                  piece of the original was recovered. This fragment continues to be
                  handed down. The replica sword and mirror along with the jewels were
                  supposed to have been present at the battle of Dan no Ura (1185 CE).
                  Supposably, the replica mirror and the original jewels were recovered
                  from the battle. (p. 42) Supposably, the sword which is used for
                  enthronement ceremonies today dates from before 1210 CE.

                  The Yasanagi Sword was supposably taken from the tail of a dragon. It
                  has supposably been enshrined at the Atsuta Shrine in Owari since
                  shortly after the death of emperor Yamato-takeru-no-mikoto.

                  The replica sword and jewels are stored in the Kenji no Ma in the
                  Imperial Palace and are personally presented to the emperor.

                  Regardless, official Japanese history holds that a replica sword was
                  lost at Dan no Ura, but that all of the original treasures are still
                  intact and in their assigned locations. Of these, only the jewels are
                  in the possession of the emperor. The emperor is supposed to have the
                  original jewels, a damaged fragment of a copy of the original mirror,
                  and a substitute sword which is not even supposed to be a copy.
                  Supposably, Amaterasu no Mikoto reveled which sword to use as a
                  substitute.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 28, 2007

                    Greetings from Solveig! Holtom (p. 29) appears to believe that jewels
                    consist of a necklace of alternating magatama and kudatama. The
                    magatama are sort of moon shape and are perforated at the larger of
                    the two lobes. The kudatama are cylinders bored lengthwise. He also
                    provides a picture of such a necklace on the plate opposite page 32.
                    The stones used in such necklaces has varied quite a bit and has at
                    times even included glass and metal composites.

                  • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 29, 2007
                      Lady Solveig,
                      In regards to your previous post about Jewels, I would love to know
                      where I might find images of what sounds like an ancient Japanese
                      necklace.

                      I would also like to know more about ancient Japanese jewelry in
                      general. What did a lady wear back then when she put on her "flowers"?
                      I haven't seen any examples of necklaces or earrings in portraits, but
                      they must have used their "7 treasures from the sea" for something
                      fabulous, right?

                      -Yukiko

                      Jewels
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/message/22567;_ylc=X3oDMTJyYnFqcm
                      4xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEwODU1NzkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NzY3NTAzBG1zZ0lkAz
                      IyNTY3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzExODMxMTczMTk->

                      Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir" nostrand@...
                      <mailto:nostrand@...?Subject= Re%3AJewels> drnostrand
                      <http://profiles.yahoo.com/drnostrand>

                      Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:58 pm (PST)

                      Noble Cousin!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 29, 2007
                        Thank you Solveig for pulling your book off it's shelf!

                        And thank everyone for responding to the question - I now have lots to look for!

                        *bows*

                        Miriel

                        --
                        "There but for the grace of a demented deity, go I" - Tales of the
                        Folly, by A. Fesler
                        "I messed with the Captain of the Folly, and all I got was this lousy
                        T-shirt" - A. Fesler

                        If you want handmade, ask an artist, if you want perfection, get it
                        from a machine. T. Ellis
                      • deanna.baran
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
                          > I would also like to know more about ancient Japanese jewelry in
                          > general. What did a lady wear back then when she put on
                          her "flowers"?
                          > I haven't seen any examples of necklaces or earrings in portraits, but
                          > they must have used their "7 treasures from the sea" for something
                          > fabulous, right?

                          ---It might depend on the time period, but I'm under the impression
                          that such things as jewelry and ornaments were very heavily restricted,
                          at least from Nara to Meiji. The Japanese seemed to be very fond of
                          sumptuary laws. :o) For example, anyone beneath the sixth rank was
                          forbidden to wear gold or silver, except on their armor, swords, and
                          official costumes. So if you were well-born, you might be important
                          enough to merit a gold hairpin. ;o)

                          There are Haniwa and Asuka figurines that wear Han-dynasty earrings and
                          necklaces. You get lots of magatama-necklaces in tombs as well-- but I
                          would suspect those had strong religious connotations, rather than
                          being purely ornamental.

                          http://www.tnm.jp/en/servlet/Con?
                          pageId=B01&processId=00&mansion_id=M3&dispdate=2007/05/30

                          has a small picture of the pieces of a magatama bracelet from the Yayoi
                          period.

                          http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00005295e.htm

                          has both kudatama (cylindrical beads) and magatama (comma-shaped beads).

                          To compensate for those restrictions, a woman would convey her rank and
                          prestige through her clothing, rather than through accessories. I'm
                          most interested in the Heian period, so using that as an example, a
                          woman would wear colors that lower-ranking women were restricted from
                          wearing... or they would wear many layers of robes of such a quality
                          that a less wealthy woman could not afford. They were very particular
                          about shades of color as well; I seem to remember an episode in the
                          Pillow Book where the ladies all laughed at someone where one of her
                          robes was a shade off of the color it should have been. :o) I do know
                          that mo could not only be dyed or embroidered, but also embellished
                          with mother-of-pearl, semiprecious jewels, gold or silver foil, tiny
                          mirrors, etc.

                          Once you get into later periods, the sumptuary laws start getting more
                          restrictive. But the emphasis is always on clothes and materials and
                          subtle details, rather than on accessories as we think of them. :o)

                          Good luck!
                          -Deanna
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007

                            > ---It might depend on the time period, but I'm under the impression
                            > that such things as jewelry and ornaments were very heavily
                            > restricted,
                            > at least from Nara to Meiji.
                            You do not see much in the way of jewelry in premodern Japan period.
                            There are some odd hats especially early on. Also, if you go way way
                            back, then you have the necklaces. But, that's pretty much it.
                            > The Japanese seemed to be very fond of
                            > sumptuary laws. :o) For example, anyone beneath the sixth rank was
                            > forbidden to wear gold or silver, except on their armor, swords, and
                            > official costumes. So if you were well-born, you might be important
                            > enough to merit a gold hairpin. ;o)
                            Actual examples involve cap ranks which restricted the construction,
                            colour, and ornamentation of hats and the colour and composition of
                            of official robes. I don't know about hairpin regulation.
                            > There are Haniwa and Asuka figurines that wear Han-dynasty earrings
                            > and
                            > necklaces. You get lots of magatama-necklaces in tombs as well-- but I
                            > would suspect those had strong religious connotations, rather than
                            > being purely ornamental.
                            This is also rather unfortunately, prehistoric. You do not see much
                            in the
                            way of this sort of thing once you start getting into the historical
                            era.
                            To compensate for those restrictions, a woman would convey her rank and
                            > prestige through her clothing, rather than through accessories. I'm
                            > most interested in the Heian period, so using that as an example, a
                            > woman would wear colors that lower-ranking women were restricted from
                            > wearing... or they would wear many layers of robes of such a quality
                            > that a less wealthy woman could not afford.
                            The quality, quantity, and tasteful arrangement of the robes are the
                            big deal.
                            Actually, I think it was Sei Shonagon that got all miffed about a
                            lowlife
                            doing a dance of thanksgiving.
                            > robes was a shade off of the color it should have been. :o) I do know
                            > that mo could not only be dyed or embroidered, but also embellished
                            > with mother-of-pearl, semiprecious jewels, gold or silver foil, tiny
                            > mirrors, etc.
                            Are you sure about the mirrors? Mirrors are 1) rather sacred and 2)
                            being of polished bronze don't work very well on clothing.
                            Once you get into later periods, the sumptuary laws start getting more
                            > restrictive. But the emphasis is always on clothes and materials and
                            > subtle details, rather than on accessories as we think of them. :o)
                            As I wrote earlier, there were restrictions on hats. The hats worn by
                            the emperor could be rather extreme.

                          • deanna.baran
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
                              > Actual examples involve cap ranks which restricted the construction,
                              > colour, and ornamentation of hats and the colour and composition of
                              > of official robes.

                              ---I've been looking for some good books in English on the subject of
                              ranks and robes and protocol, but I haven't found anything thorough
                              yet... any suggestions? :o)

                              > Are you sure about the mirrors? Mirrors are 1) rather sacred and 2)
                              > being of polished bronze don't work very well on clothing.

                              ---The information re: gold, hairpins, and mirrors came from:
                              The Traditional Arts of Japan: A Complete Illustrated Guide
                              H. Batterson Boger
                              Doubleday & Co., Inc.
                              Garden City, New York 1964
                              pp. 91, 289.

                              Looking at what it says about mirrors (pp. 97-98), it says the
                              Chinese had been casting bronze ones from at least the beginning of
                              the Han Dynasty (which began 206 BC), and they were introduced to
                              Japan at the end of the Han Dynasty (AD 220). Those dates may have
                              changed based on subsequent archaeological evidence. :o) Post-
                              Kofun/post-650, everywhere but Hokkaido stops being prehistoric. :o)
                              By the time you get to Nara, they had developed mirrors that were
                              artistically Japanese in shape and design, rather than just copying
                              Chinese mirrors. They have interesting shapes (squares, six or eight
                              lobes, eight or twelve-pointed), and are often decorated with birds,
                              flowers, and landscapes. By the time you get to Heian period, it's
                              distinct enough to be called a wakyo, or Japanese mirror, and they've
                              made progress in becoming thinner. During Kamakura, they're often
                              decorated in the e-uta/picture-poem style. And the ekagami, or
                              handled-mirror, developed in Muromachi times, but became popular in
                              Momoyama.

                              While I don't disagree that the mirror has tremendous religious
                              significance, especially to the Shinto, it seems that it had an
                              undeniably secular usage as well.

                              When it said "tiny mirrors", though, I can't help but wonder if they
                              meant "tiny pieces of polished bronze." If full-sized mirrors are
                              appearing in lobed shapes, it makes me think of a flower-shape... and
                              I could see how, say, a mo appliqued with small, thin, polished
                              and/or etched bronze blossoms could be considered attractive. I don't
                              think it would be very technologically difficult; I'd be more curious
                              as to whether they were only applied for wearing, and then removed
                              afterwards, to keep from getting oxidization stains on the fabric.
                              But yes, I agree, I wish it had been more clear, and possibly
                              illustrated. :o)

                              Thanks!
                              -Deanna
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 4, 2007

                                > ---I've been looking for some good books in English on the subject of
                                > ranks and robes and protocol, but I haven't found anything thorough
                                > yet... any suggestions? :o)
                                Learn Japanese? That is not quite as flip as it sounds. If you learn
                                Japanese then you aren't dependent upon other folks getting around
                                to translating the stuff you are interested in. However, you do become
                                dependent upon 1) books available from U.S. libraries and 2) books
                                which can be purchased from Japan. (Now that one is a truly heavy
                                addiction. Pun intended.

                                On a slightly more helpful note, there is an English Language guide
                                to classical Japanese literature which has a lot of the stuff that you
                                are interested in. However, the down side is that the last time I
                                looked for it, I found a different book. So, I am not in a good position
                                to point you to the correct volume. And, no, I'm not thinking of the
                                Shining Prince guidebook. This is a much bigger book.