two tiny comments on names

  • Erin Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2007
      Just catching up on the digests and there are two things I'd like to
      add.

      To Robert the lost (Re: Name Game Question):
      > Hum, kinda dont like the helms they wore lol. But I do like the idea
      > that they started as mercenaries at first. Just dont like that I
      > havent read anything about them using bows.

      Keep in mind that, as far as I know, mercenaries were pretty much
      considered scum in Japan. Come to think of it, I can't think of any
      military culture where they were much respected. Your modern persona
      (i.e. you) can think it's cool, but your Japanese persona would want to
      avoid mentioning that aspect of his history. Anyway, not liking their
      helms is as good a reason as any to avoid that! :)

      To Red Dawg (Re: Re: [SCA-JML] Possible Objection to Takeshita):
      > So I have been thinking along the lines of some famous sumo who have
      > names that translate to things like mountain that rizes from the sea.

      > not this particular one but along that line, any suggestions?

      Sumo names are awfully modern and gimicky, so it may be risky to base
      your study on them. On the other hand they do give you the idea of one
      form of historical name, which has to do with the natural world and a
      pattern of two words together (morimoto, ookawa, honda, and tanaka are
      modern examples). However there were plenty of other historical names
      that don't follow this pattern.

      We modern North Americans tend to be biased toward the names we think
      are pretty, that mean "morning flower" or "mountain pine," and anything
      with "wolf" or "dragon" in them, but that's not necessarily an accurate
      historical recreation (especially the wolf and dragon thing). We do
      the same thing with the European names, which is why we end up with a
      dozen Anguses and no Galfrids. And to tell the truth, modern Japanese
      naming trends are the same way. So, the sumo pattern might be a good
      start but there's a lot more available if you dig a little.

      ERIN