Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Name Game Question

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 110 , Jun 8, 2007
      On 6/8/07, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

      > konichi wa
      >
      > Sanjiro as a given name has the meaning: "praise" or "admirable". It is also a possible pun (the Japanese love puns) Sanjiro as a form of sanjuro would mean 30th son! Another common name was Juro which means 10th son and conveys the pun "long lived" since if he was indeed the 10th son, he would have to live a loooooong time in order to be in line for any inheritance!

      What kanji are you thinking of for 'Sanjiro'? That sounds like '3' +
      'Jiro' as the standard way I'd translate it if I saw it just in
      Romaji. I'm interested in where you are getting that definition.

      Message 110 of 110 , Jul 8 7:52 PM

        Greetings from Solveig! In Japan, you can see things written just
        about any way except bottom to top. In period, however, you would
        generally things written from top to bottom.