RE: japanese bards?????

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 6, 2007
      2. japanese bards?????
      Posted by: "jake curda" jakecurda@... jakecurda
      Date: Wed Jun 6, 2007 5:26 am ((PDT))

      Greetings again,

      ok, so this has ben bugging me for a little while.......what would the
      Japanese name be for a bard.....at one time I was told that it was Omidassu,
      but i can not call that sourse 100% reliable........I am a bard myself, have
      ben since before I felt the call to take up a Japanese persona, and the fire
      of that is still here.....but I want to know what a Japanese bard
      was......or the closest thing to it..........help please....again......

      Always in service,
      Yagyu Masamori Nobunagga, Tittle bard to the Baroney of the Stepps in the
      kingdom of Ansteorra......

      ---------------------------------
      I myself have been digging for quite some time.
      Even here I could not find answers but recently I did find a couple of
      terms...

      Taikomoto (drum bearer) is a term for a male geisha.
      Storyteller, singer, joke teller, musician, overall entertainer.
      There is another word I can't remember right now all my notes are at home.
      The position is being revived by one of them in Japan right now, I believe I
      found
      a link to his site on Wikipedia.
      Again, I have more notes at home and will send them tonight.

      Okabe

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 7, 2007

        > one of wich being a japanese-american whoes parents were from
        > Kyoto, we found evidence that in early Muromachi small and "back-
        > woods" familes were stacking nanori....

        Do you have documentary evidence? Would you mind sharing it? Changing
        nanori was fairly common. Actual stacking of nanori is at best less
        common. You really do need to be able to document the practice with
        something other than the verbal say-so of your friend. What you need
        to do is to find a pre-1601 genealogy which shows the practice.

        Since you mentioned that your name was about to be approved, I am
        curious as to when the paperwork went in as it does not appear on any
        kingdom Letter of Intent since November. Further, names and armory
        that far back have already been acted upon by Laurel. This means that
        your proposed name is not on the verge of approval. I also checked
        all of the Letters of Acceptance and Return going back to January of
        2006, and you do not appear there either. Finally, the Online Ordinal
        and Armorial is current through June of 2006, and you do not appear
        their either. So, either your paperwork has been lost, or your name
        has not yet made it out of kingdom. One final possibility is that the
        spelling of Yagyu was changed somewhere in the paperwork trail.
        However, I sort of doubt that.

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 7, 2007

          > I found Taikomochi or Houkan. Basically a male geisha.

          Yay! The Wikipedia article you found is pretty much accurate.
          You really do have to check Wikipedia articles. Basically,
          Daijirin agrees with you and even gives "dangeisha" (male geisha)
          as a synonym. Basically, you win.

          > Storyteller, joke teller, musician, all around entertainer.

          The description in Daijirin goes on to say that they were entertainers
          at drinking parties. You should understand that these tended to be
          free-lance professionals. However, I suppose that they can be
          retained. Certainly, Kurosawa appeared to think so when he made
          Ran.

          Finally, "Houkan" sounds much more official than "Taikomochi".

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 8, 2007
            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            >
            > > one of wich being a japanese-american whoes parents were from
            > > Kyoto, we found evidence that in early Muromachi small and "back-
            > > woods" familes were stacking nanori....
            >
            > Do you have documentary evidence? Would you mind sharing it? Changing
            > nanori was fairly common. Actual stacking of nanori is at best less
            > common. You really do need to be able to document the practice with
            > something other than the verbal say-so of your friend. What you need
            > to do is to find a pre-1601 genealogy which shows the practice.

            I agree. I have *seen* the practice, but almost always in the Edo
            period (post-1600). Ofttimes it is difficult to say if a name is a
            double nanori or if it is a nanori stacked together with a religious
            name or something similar (in which case it probably wouldn't be read
            the same as a nanori, using the on'yomi instead).

            > 2006, and you do not appear there either. Finally, the Online Ordinal
            > and Armorial is current through June of 2006, and you do not appear
            > their either. So, either your paperwork has been lost, or your name
            > has not yet made it out of kingdom. One final possibility is that the
            > spelling of Yagyu was changed somewhere in the paperwork trail.
            > However, I sort of doubt that.

            I think, if this name is new, there's possibly one more thing to look
            at--it should be 'Nobunaga'. 'Nobunagga' is a misspelling unless you
            are doing that for some other reason (basically, Nobunagga would need
            to be 'No*bu*na*(tsu)*ga' and I feel confident in saying that's not a
            Japanese name--especially not a nanori. 'No*bu*na*ga' on the other
            hand, is. Those breaks show how it would have to be put together with
            hiragana or katakana, the basic structure of the Japanese langugae).

            Solveig-dono, I've been trying to think on the 'Bard of the Barony of
            the Steppes'. My thought is that Chinese sounds more 'official', as
            you mention, but we want to differentiate this 'Houkan' from any
            other--What about 'Sougen-Houkan' ('Grassy Plains Houkan')? It still
            feels more awkward than using a title, like Kusahara no X (where X is
            'Houkan', 'Taikomochi' or whatever other indicator they want to throw
            in). I get the feeling that we are shoehorning Western ideas into
            Japanese traditional culture, of course.

            -Ii
          • jake curda
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 8, 2007
              just that.......and i confess that the issue of the name was left up to my kingdom heralds.....I am not aware of all the details involving it.....when last spoken to they simply said that it was all in order.........but something I would wish to adresst o Solveig-dono and that was the mention to the use of a baroneal tittle as being pretentious.........it is infact an earned tittle sempai........and one that is justly used, I am in fact The Bard of the Stepps in the Kingdom of Ansteorra.......so far from pretensious, it is a tittle held with pride, as I fall in a long line of great artisans and laureles to hold this tittle......this is why I am looking for a Japanese tittle...........finaly, the proof citation, for the name, was not given verbal but documented......now it could be that it comes mostly from post-1600.....but as it was explaned to me, that would be one "weirdness" that I am told is allowed in nameing within the SCA........but once again, I confess that
              heraldry is not one of my arts, and I know little about the art or the process.....I only go off what I ma told from my hearld.......and it is spelled with 1 g...lol......I just can't keep my fingers typing as fast as I think.....in short I SUCK at typing........that I will never deny......

              thank you all,
              Yagyu Masamori Nobunaga, Tittle Bard to the Barony of the Stepps in the Kingdom of Ansteorra

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 8, 2007
                after carefull reading i belieave that I will use houkan, as it best describes my profession.........as the tittle i will use though, I think it would be best to just leave it as the Stepps and not a japanese equivilent.....so would it run as Stepps no Houkan or Houkan no Stepps.......becouse I am no A bard of the Stepps, but THE bard of the Stepps?????.......

                Yagyu.....

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 8, 2007
                  It would be 'Houkan of the Steppes', in my opinion, or 'The Houkan Bard of
                  the Steppes'. I would even recommend 'The Kusahara Bard' (kusahara means
                  'grassy plain'--and today means steppe. It sounds perfectly reasonable to
                  me, I'm not sure what Solveig-dono's problem with it is).

                  If you want to have the 'no' I would suggest a full title, and then it would
                  be something like Kusahara no Houkan--think of 'no' as an "'s"--Kusahara's
                  Bard.

                  Still, it may be better to have most of the title in English.

                  -Ii

                  On 6/8/07, jake curda <jakecurda@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > are doing that for some other reason (basically, Nobunagga would need
                  > to be 'No*bu*na*(tsu)*ga' and I feel confident in saying that's not a
                  > Japanese name--especially not a nanori. 'No*bu*na*ga' on the other
                  > hand, is. Those breaks show how it would have to be put together with
                  > hiragana or katakana, the basic structure of the Japanese langugae).
                  >
                  > Solveig-dono, I've been trying to think on the 'Bard of the Barony of
                  > the Steppes'. My thought is that Chinese sounds more 'official', as
                  > you mention, but we want to differentiate this 'Houkan' from any
                  > other--What about 'Sougen-Houkan' ('Grassy Plains Houkan')? It still
                  > feels more awkward than using a title, like Kusahara no X (where X is
                  > 'Houkan', 'Taikomochi' or whatever other indicator they want to throw
                  > in). I get the feeling that we are shoehorning Western ideas into
                  > Japanese traditional culture, of course.

                • David Nesmith
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 8, 2007
                    ...Steppes no Houkan would be the correct order

                    Moritake

                    jake curda <jakecurda@...> wrote: after carefull reading i belieave that I will use houkan, as it best describes my profession.........as the tittle i will use though, I think it would be best to just leave it as the Stepps and not a japanese equivilent.....so would it run as Stepps no Houkan or Houkan no Stepps.......becouse I am no A bard of the Stepps, but THE bard of the Stepps?????.......

                    Yagyu.....

                    JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig!
                    >
                    > > one of wich being a japanese-american whoes parents were from
                    > > Kyoto, we found evidence that in early Muromachi small and "back-
                    > > woods" familes were stacking nanori....
                    >
                    > Do you have documentary evidence? Would you mind sharing it? Changing
                    > nanori was fairly common. Actual stacking of nanori is at best less
                    > common. You really do need to be able to document the practice with
                    > something other than the verbal say-so of your friend. What you need
                    > to do is to find a pre-1601 genealogy which shows the practice.

                    I agree. I have *seen* the practice, but almost always in the Edo
                    period (post-1600). Ofttimes it is difficult to say if a name is a
                    double nanori or if it is a nanori stacked together with a religious
                    name or something similar (in which case it probably wouldn't be read
                    the same as a nanori, using the on'yomi instead).

                    > 2006, and you do not appear there either. Finally, the Online Ordinal
                    > and Armorial is current through June of 2006, and you do not appear
                    > their either. So, either your paperwork has been lost, or your name
                    > has not yet made it out of kingdom. One final possibility is that the
                    > spelling of Yagyu was changed somewhere in the paperwork trail.
                    > However, I sort of doubt that.

                    I think, if this name is new, there's possibly one more thing to look
                    at--it should be 'Nobunaga'. 'Nobunagga' is a misspelling unless you
                    are doing that for some other reason (basically, Nobunagga would need
                    to be 'No*bu*na*(tsu)*ga' and I feel confident in saying that's not a
                    Japanese name--especially not a nanori. 'No*bu*na*ga' on the other
                    hand, is. Those breaks show how it would have to be put together with
                    hiragana or katakana, the basic structure of the Japanese langugae).

                    Solveig-dono, I've been trying to think on the 'Bard of the Barony of
                    the Steppes'. My thought is that Chinese sounds more 'official', as
                    you mention, but we want to differentiate this 'Houkan' from any
                    other--What about 'Sougen-Houkan' ('Grassy Plains Houkan')? It still
                    feels more awkward than using a title, like Kusahara no X (where X is
                    'Houkan', 'Taikomochi' or whatever other indicator they want to throw
                    in). I get the feeling that we are shoehorning Western ideas into
                    Japanese traditional culture, of course.

                    It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                    test'; " type=text/css>

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 8, 2007

                      Greetings from Solveig! The problem with pretense is not that I
                      disbelieved that you were a bard to your barony.
                      I suspected that that was the case. The problem is to avoid pretense
                      to an imperial title. Regardless, finding a
                      good way for you to say bard of your barony is separate from the name
                      question. I think that the version that
                      sounds sort of Chinese also sounds sort of official. So, you might
                      want to use that. The problem comes in more
                      along the lines of attaching it to the name of the Barony. I doubt
                      that this is necessary. You have a job, not a title.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 8, 2007

                        > jake curda <jakecurda@...>
                        > wrote: after carefull reading i
                        > belieave that I will use houkan, as it best describes my
                        > profession.........as the tittle i will use though, I think it
                        > would be best to just leave it as the Stepps and not a japanese
                        > equivilent.....so would it run as Stepps no Houkan or Houkan no
                        > Stepps.......becouse I am no A bard of the Stepps, but THE bard of
                        > the Stepps?????.......

                        Yes, we understand that. However, it is still not a title. It is
                        still a job after a fashion. The same thing is true for whoever is
                        the current heavy list champion. Basically, at the end of your term,
                        the job goes poof.

                        Hokan is perfectly fine. However, if you want to emphasize your
                        leadership role, then you might want to consider -shi
                        (teacher) or --kan (minister) to the end of the thing. I would
                        recommend -shi over -kan as it roughly translates to
                        "master" in the sense of "dance master" &c. If you decide to stick -
                        shi on the end the S probably turns into a J due
                        to coarticulation of adjacent sounds.

                        Finally, you really do not need to stick the baronial name onto the
                        thing. However, if you decide to do so, the baronial name should
                        probably bear the suffix -kuni (country). This is the suffix commonly
                        found in the names of pre-modern Japanese
                        provinces. Provincial names were often shortened to the on'yomi of
                        the initial kanji and "koku" the on'yomi for kuni.