Re: Name Game Question

  • robertthelost
    Message 1 of 110 , Jun 7 5:17 PM
      Greetings,

      First off I would like to thank you both for your replies.

      Second, I think Yahoo ate my original reply so here goes try number 2

      The periods I'm currently looking at are the Late Heian Period (898-
      1185) and/or the Kamakura (1185-1333).

      Ok at this point I am now lost. From the things I have read on name
      structure I thought I would have gotten some part of it right, guess
      I have to start doing some more reading on the subject.

      So let me start with the Family Name: Is Family/Surname "myoji"?
      For my family name I would prefer to have a name that could have
      existed in period. I would rather stay away from using a name that
      would show some sort of actual family line. From what I understand,
      it is possible to have a descriptive family name. So would something
      like "from the Oceanside" or "from the river" work, or something
      along those lines? Is "Kawazoi", riverside, if so how could I make
      that into from the riverside?

      Common name: Name family and close friends would refer to me by? That
      name Sanjiro, what does it mean or translate to? "San" is 3 correct?
      Anyways can a common name be descriptive as well? Does "Kamoku" mean
      shy or silent person? Would that work as a common name? "My family
      referred to me as kamoku do to my usual silence"?

      Nanori: At this point I'm lost again! What would a nanori consist of?
      From what I've read it would reflect their characteristics or their
      background. So could something like "Ryoushiko" work, if it means
      what I believe it to? Which I'm possibly wrong =)

      Well anyways thanks again for the help. Hope I'm not becoming a
      burden.

      Side note: Arigatu – Thank You? Aisatsu – Greetings? Man I
      hope that just didn't make me look to much like a fool =) Sorry I
      have had no Japanese lessons other that the things I've read myself

      Thank You
      In Service
      Robert
      Message 110 of 110 , Jul 8, 2007

        Greetings from Solveig! In Japan, you can see things written just
        about any way except bottom to top. In period, however, you would
        generally things written from top to bottom.