RE: japanese bards?????

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 6 10:11 AM
      2. japanese bards?????
      Posted by: "jake curda" jakecurda@... jakecurda
      Date: Wed Jun 6, 2007 5:26 am ((PDT))

      Greetings again,

      ok, so this has ben bugging me for a little while.......what would the
      Japanese name be for a bard.....at one time I was told that it was Omidassu,
      but i can not call that sourse 100% reliable........I am a bard myself, have
      ben since before I felt the call to take up a Japanese persona, and the fire
      of that is still here.....but I want to know what a Japanese bard
      was......or the closest thing to it..........help please....again......

      Always in service,
      Yagyu Masamori Nobunagga, Tittle bard to the Baroney of the Stepps in the
      kingdom of Ansteorra......

      ---------------------------------
      I myself have been digging for quite some time.
      Even here I could not find answers but recently I did find a couple of
      terms...

      Taikomoto (drum bearer) is a term for a male geisha.
      Storyteller, singer, joke teller, musician, overall entertainer.
      There is another word I can't remember right now all my notes are at home.
      The position is being revived by one of them in Japan right now, I believe I
      found
      a link to his site on Wikipedia.
      Again, I have more notes at home and will send them tonight.

      Okabe

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 6 12:02 PM

        > ok, so this has ben bugging me for a little while.......what
        > would the Japanese name be for a bard.....at one time I was told
        > that it was Omidassu, but i can not call that sourse 100%
        > reliable........I am a bard myself, have ben since before I felt
        > the call to take up a Japanese persona, and the fire of that is
        > still here.....but I want to know what a Japanese bard was......or
        > the closest thing to it..........help please....again......

        Do you aspire to be a blind biwa player? If so, then you might have
        had a pseudo monastic name or something like that.
        Basically, an art name. This is a category all by itself in Japanese
        onomastic.

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 6 12:04 PM

          Greetings from Solveig! Are you looking for a name or a Japanese word
          that
          describes what you do? Reading the postings in the order I did had me
          automatically thinking about personal names. You might also tell folks
          about what sort of bardic activity you engage in.

        • David
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 6 9:15 PM
            I attempted to reply to this earlier but it looks like it bounced or
            something...

            I found Taikomochi or Houkan.
            Basically a male geisha.
            Storyteller, joke teller, musician, all around entertainer.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taikomochi
            There is currently a gentleman in Japan who is trying to revive this
            traditional profession and I imagine he'd be happy to talk about it.
            If I were brave enough to attempt to contact him...
            http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/taikomochi.html

            Good luck and I look forward to sharing some stories around the
            campfire with you.
            Okabe

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 7 1:02 AM

              > Okay, re-checking past messages, here's an idea for a job title for
              > you:
              >
              > 草原の語部
              > Kusahara (or Kusahara-shu) no Kataribe
              > Reciter of History and Legend of the (Barony of the) Grass-covered
              > Plains

              I doubt that this really works. If for no other reason that be did
              not belong
              to baronies or such like.

              > Kusahara or "grass plain" is the closest I could find to "steppe".

              Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of steppes in Japan.

              > Kusahara-shu would be the "state/land of the grass-covered
              > plains". (Our
              > own Barony of Stierbach in Atlantia we translate as "Ushikawa-shu"
              > -- Barony
              > of Ox River-- in a similar way.)

              No. No. No. Shu isn't really used this way. About the only places
              that end in
              shu are in the United States. There is some justification for using -
              kuni or
              -koku, but not -shu. If you are looking for modern Japanese concepts, a
              barony is more like say a -gun which is a rural district. Or maybe
              they can
              be equated with the ancient provinces, but as I recall these are called
              kuni as in "kuni no miyatsuko". There is an additional problem with
              Ushikawa in that it is the name of a river. This tends to need an
              additional
              toponymic element for the place where people live and have their fields.
              There are some hybrid finals such as -tsu in Otsu.

              > Together with your chosen name it would be something like "Kusahara-
              > shu no
              > Kataribe, Yagyu Masamori Nobunaga". (You could then append your
              > court rank,
              > etc. to make it even more of an impressive Japanese mouthful.)

              Incidentally, I applaud the use of -be names just as much as I
              applaud the use
              of uji names. However, the concept is not quite correct here. The -be
              are
              ancient monopoly corporations many of which were created by the emperor.
              Further, a minority of members of a -be might be actually engaged in the
              trade associated with the -be. To make things worse, there were -be
              which
              were established simply to endow something or other. Further, -be
              names like
              the uji names are slotted somewhat differently. Finally, attaching
              what you are
              hoping to be an occupational byname to a baronial name is just
              plain presumptive.

              As already mentioned. You should not be stacking nanori which is
              precisely
              what Masamori Nobunaga is doing.

            • jake curda
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 7 5:51 AM
                ok...to clarify a bit........I am looking for somethign to be used like a tittle, and not a name.........I like the name Yagyu and want to keep it..........also directing to Solveig.......sorry, when the word Dasu was introduced to me it was introduced as dassu, so thank you for the correction, it is duely noated and filed away.....and second.....when working with the Hearalds of my kingdom, one of wich being a japanese-american whoes parents were from Kyoto, we found evidence that in early Muromachi small and "back-woods" familes were stacking nanori....and being that durring this period the Yagyu were just about that, we thought it would add to the persona.......the name as I was last informed a few days ago was good and about to be approved.....we have been working on it for some time.........

                Thank you all for your wisdom and input......i think we may just be able to come up with something that I can use yet.......

                Yagyu Masamori Nobunagga, Tittel bard of the Barony of the Stepps in the kingdom of Ansteorra.

              • chasrmartin
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 7 10:11 AM
                  "Taikomochi" sounds like the guy who beats on the rice with a sledge
                  during New Years.

                  (Which is my favorite part of preparing for New Years.)

                  Just for fun, here's wikipedia on biwa (which is effectively the same
                  as a p'i p'a, but not the same as p'i p'a duck, which tastes much
                  better but is hard to tune.)

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biwa

                  Does anyone know what the Japanese name for an erhu is?
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 7 10:55 AM

                    > one of wich being a japanese-american whoes parents were from
                    > Kyoto, we found evidence that in early Muromachi small and "back-
                    > woods" familes were stacking nanori....

                    Do you have documentary evidence? Would you mind sharing it? Changing
                    nanori was fairly common. Actual stacking of nanori is at best less
                    common. You really do need to be able to document the practice with
                    something other than the verbal say-so of your friend. What you need
                    to do is to find a pre-1601 genealogy which shows the practice.

                    Since you mentioned that your name was about to be approved, I am
                    curious as to when the paperwork went in as it does not appear on any
                    kingdom Letter of Intent since November. Further, names and armory
                    that far back have already been acted upon by Laurel. This means that
                    your proposed name is not on the verge of approval. I also checked
                    all of the Letters of Acceptance and Return going back to January of
                    2006, and you do not appear there either. Finally, the Online Ordinal
                    and Armorial is current through June of 2006, and you do not appear
                    their either. So, either your paperwork has been lost, or your name
                    has not yet made it out of kingdom. One final possibility is that the
                    spelling of Yagyu was changed somewhere in the paperwork trail.
                    However, I sort of doubt that.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 7 11:19 AM

                      > I found Taikomochi or Houkan. Basically a male geisha.

                      Yay! The Wikipedia article you found is pretty much accurate.
                      You really do have to check Wikipedia articles. Basically,
                      Daijirin agrees with you and even gives "dangeisha" (male geisha)
                      as a synonym. Basically, you win.

                      > Storyteller, joke teller, musician, all around entertainer.

                      The description in Daijirin goes on to say that they were entertainers
                      at drinking parties. You should understand that these tended to be
                      free-lance professionals. However, I suppose that they can be
                      retained. Certainly, Kurosawa appeared to think so when he made
                      Ran.

                      Finally, "Houkan" sounds much more official than "Taikomochi".

                    • jrwences
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 7 11:57 AM
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "chasrmartin" <chasrmartin@...> wrote:

                        > Does anyone know what the Japanese name for an erhu is?

                        Probably the closest analogous Japanese instrument (as opposed to a
                        Japanese word for the Chinese instrument) is the kokyu. It resembles a
                        small shamisen played with a bow.

                        See the image at:
                        http://ericgolub.com/photo/kokyo.htm

                        Wikipedia suggests that the Japanese name for the erhu is "niko."
                      • JL Badgley
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 8 6:14 AM
                          > Noble Cousin!
                          >
                          > Greetings from Solveig!
                          >
                          > > one of wich being a japanese-american whoes parents were from
                          > > Kyoto, we found evidence that in early Muromachi small and "back-
                          > > woods" familes were stacking nanori....
                          >
                          > Do you have documentary evidence? Would you mind sharing it? Changing
                          > nanori was fairly common. Actual stacking of nanori is at best less
                          > common. You really do need to be able to document the practice with
                          > something other than the verbal say-so of your friend. What you need
                          > to do is to find a pre-1601 genealogy which shows the practice.

                          I agree. I have *seen* the practice, but almost always in the Edo
                          period (post-1600). Ofttimes it is difficult to say if a name is a
                          double nanori or if it is a nanori stacked together with a religious
                          name or something similar (in which case it probably wouldn't be read
                          the same as a nanori, using the on'yomi instead).

                          > 2006, and you do not appear there either. Finally, the Online Ordinal
                          > and Armorial is current through June of 2006, and you do not appear
                          > their either. So, either your paperwork has been lost, or your name
                          > has not yet made it out of kingdom. One final possibility is that the
                          > spelling of Yagyu was changed somewhere in the paperwork trail.
                          > However, I sort of doubt that.

                          I think, if this name is new, there's possibly one more thing to look
                          at--it should be 'Nobunaga'. 'Nobunagga' is a misspelling unless you
                          are doing that for some other reason (basically, Nobunagga would need
                          to be 'No*bu*na*(tsu)*ga' and I feel confident in saying that's not a
                          Japanese name--especially not a nanori. 'No*bu*na*ga' on the other
                          hand, is. Those breaks show how it would have to be put together with
                          hiragana or katakana, the basic structure of the Japanese langugae).

                          Solveig-dono, I've been trying to think on the 'Bard of the Barony of
                          the Steppes'. My thought is that Chinese sounds more 'official', as
                          you mention, but we want to differentiate this 'Houkan' from any
                          other--What about 'Sougen-Houkan' ('Grassy Plains Houkan')? It still
                          feels more awkward than using a title, like Kusahara no X (where X is
                          'Houkan', 'Taikomochi' or whatever other indicator they want to throw
                          in). I get the feeling that we are shoehorning Western ideas into
                          Japanese traditional culture, of course.

                          -Ii
                        • jake curda
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 8 2:31 PM
                            just that.......and i confess that the issue of the name was left up to my kingdom heralds.....I am not aware of all the details involving it.....when last spoken to they simply said that it was all in order.........but something I would wish to adresst o Solveig-dono and that was the mention to the use of a baroneal tittle as being pretentious.........it is infact an earned tittle sempai........and one that is justly used, I am in fact The Bard of the Stepps in the Kingdom of Ansteorra.......so far from pretensious, it is a tittle held with pride, as I fall in a long line of great artisans and laureles to hold this tittle......this is why I am looking for a Japanese tittle...........finaly, the proof citation, for the name, was not given verbal but documented......now it could be that it comes mostly from post-1600.....but as it was explaned to me, that would be one "weirdness" that I am told is allowed in nameing within the SCA........but once again, I confess that
                            heraldry is not one of my arts, and I know little about the art or the process.....I only go off what I ma told from my hearld.......and it is spelled with 1 g...lol......I just can't keep my fingers typing as fast as I think.....in short I SUCK at typing........that I will never deny......

                            thank you all,
                            Yagyu Masamori Nobunaga, Tittle Bard to the Barony of the Stepps in the Kingdom of Ansteorra

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 8 4:23 PM
                              after carefull reading i belieave that I will use houkan, as it best describes my profession.........as the tittle i will use though, I think it would be best to just leave it as the Stepps and not a japanese equivilent.....so would it run as Stepps no Houkan or Houkan no Stepps.......becouse I am no A bard of the Stepps, but THE bard of the Stepps?????.......

                              Yagyu.....

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 8 4:36 PM
                                It would be 'Houkan of the Steppes', in my opinion, or 'The Houkan Bard of
                                the Steppes'. I would even recommend 'The Kusahara Bard' (kusahara means
                                'grassy plain'--and today means steppe. It sounds perfectly reasonable to
                                me, I'm not sure what Solveig-dono's problem with it is).

                                If you want to have the 'no' I would suggest a full title, and then it would
                                be something like Kusahara no Houkan--think of 'no' as an "'s"--Kusahara's
                                Bard.

                                Still, it may be better to have most of the title in English.

                                -Ii

                                On 6/8/07, jake curda <jakecurda@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > are doing that for some other reason (basically, Nobunagga would need
                                > to be 'No*bu*na*(tsu)*ga' and I feel confident in saying that's not a
                                > Japanese name--especially not a nanori. 'No*bu*na*ga' on the other
                                > hand, is. Those breaks show how it would have to be put together with
                                > hiragana or katakana, the basic structure of the Japanese langugae).
                                >
                                > Solveig-dono, I've been trying to think on the 'Bard of the Barony of
                                > the Steppes'. My thought is that Chinese sounds more 'official', as
                                > you mention, but we want to differentiate this 'Houkan' from any
                                > other--What about 'Sougen-Houkan' ('Grassy Plains Houkan')? It still
                                > feels more awkward than using a title, like Kusahara no X (where X is
                                > 'Houkan', 'Taikomochi' or whatever other indicator they want to throw
                                > in). I get the feeling that we are shoehorning Western ideas into
                                > Japanese traditional culture, of course.

                              • David Nesmith
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 8 4:55 PM
                                  ...Steppes no Houkan would be the correct order

                                  Moritake

                                  jake curda <jakecurda@...> wrote: after carefull reading i belieave that I will use houkan, as it best describes my profession.........as the tittle i will use though, I think it would be best to just leave it as the Stepps and not a japanese equivilent.....so would it run as Stepps no Houkan or Houkan no Stepps.......becouse I am no A bard of the Stepps, but THE bard of the Stepps?????.......

                                  Yagyu.....

                                  JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                                  > Noble Cousin!
                                  >
                                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                                  >
                                  > > one of wich being a japanese-american whoes parents were from
                                  > > Kyoto, we found evidence that in early Muromachi small and "back-
                                  > > woods" familes were stacking nanori....
                                  >
                                  > Do you have documentary evidence? Would you mind sharing it? Changing
                                  > nanori was fairly common. Actual stacking of nanori is at best less
                                  > common. You really do need to be able to document the practice with
                                  > something other than the verbal say-so of your friend. What you need
                                  > to do is to find a pre-1601 genealogy which shows the practice.

                                  I agree. I have *seen* the practice, but almost always in the Edo
                                  period (post-1600). Ofttimes it is difficult to say if a name is a
                                  double nanori or if it is a nanori stacked together with a religious
                                  name or something similar (in which case it probably wouldn't be read
                                  the same as a nanori, using the on'yomi instead).

                                  > 2006, and you do not appear there either. Finally, the Online Ordinal
                                  > and Armorial is current through June of 2006, and you do not appear
                                  > their either. So, either your paperwork has been lost, or your name
                                  > has not yet made it out of kingdom. One final possibility is that the
                                  > spelling of Yagyu was changed somewhere in the paperwork trail.
                                  > However, I sort of doubt that.

                                  I think, if this name is new, there's possibly one more thing to look
                                  at--it should be 'Nobunaga'. 'Nobunagga' is a misspelling unless you
                                  are doing that for some other reason (basically, Nobunagga would need
                                  to be 'No*bu*na*(tsu)*ga' and I feel confident in saying that's not a
                                  Japanese name--especially not a nanori. 'No*bu*na*ga' on the other
                                  hand, is. Those breaks show how it would have to be put together with
                                  hiragana or katakana, the basic structure of the Japanese langugae).

                                  Solveig-dono, I've been trying to think on the 'Bard of the Barony of
                                  the Steppes'. My thought is that Chinese sounds more 'official', as
                                  you mention, but we want to differentiate this 'Houkan' from any
                                  other--What about 'Sougen-Houkan' ('Grassy Plains Houkan')? It still
                                  feels more awkward than using a title, like Kusahara no X (where X is
                                  'Houkan', 'Taikomochi' or whatever other indicator they want to throw
                                  in). I get the feeling that we are shoehorning Western ideas into
                                  Japanese traditional culture, of course.

                                  It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                                  test'; " type=text/css>

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 8 6:28 PM

                                    Greetings from Solveig! The problem with pretense is not that I
                                    disbelieved that you were a bard to your barony.
                                    I suspected that that was the case. The problem is to avoid pretense
                                    to an imperial title. Regardless, finding a
                                    good way for you to say bard of your barony is separate from the name
                                    question. I think that the version that
                                    sounds sort of Chinese also sounds sort of official. So, you might
                                    want to use that. The problem comes in more
                                    along the lines of attaching it to the name of the Barony. I doubt
                                    that this is necessary. You have a job, not a title.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 8 6:53 PM

                                      > jake curda <jakecurda@...>
                                      > wrote: after carefull reading i
                                      > belieave that I will use houkan, as it best describes my
                                      > profession.........as the tittle i will use though, I think it
                                      > would be best to just leave it as the Stepps and not a japanese
                                      > equivilent.....so would it run as Stepps no Houkan or Houkan no
                                      > Stepps.......becouse I am no A bard of the Stepps, but THE bard of
                                      > the Stepps?????.......

                                      Yes, we understand that. However, it is still not a title. It is
                                      still a job after a fashion. The same thing is true for whoever is
                                      the current heavy list champion. Basically, at the end of your term,
                                      the job goes poof.

                                      Hokan is perfectly fine. However, if you want to emphasize your
                                      leadership role, then you might want to consider -shi
                                      (teacher) or --kan (minister) to the end of the thing. I would
                                      recommend -shi over -kan as it roughly translates to
                                      "master" in the sense of "dance master" &c. If you decide to stick -
                                      shi on the end the S probably turns into a J due
                                      to coarticulation of adjacent sounds.

                                      Finally, you really do not need to stick the baronial name onto the
                                      thing. However, if you decide to do so, the baronial name should
                                      probably bear the suffix -kuni (country). This is the suffix commonly
                                      found in the names of pre-modern Japanese
                                      provinces. Provincial names were often shortened to the on'yomi of
                                      the initial kanji and "koku" the on'yomi for kuni.