Question about a book

  • Tracie Ellis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hello the list!

      I am peeking out of the shadows long enough to ask about a book I
      found while trolling through the Art section of my favorite book haunt
      (alibris.com). It's called "Shibori, the Inventive Art of Japanese
      Shaped Resist Dyeing" by Wada, Yoshiko Iwamoto; Rice, Mary Kellogg And
      Barton, Jane, published by Kodansha International in 1999.

      I'm wondering if it's any good as far as a starting point for A&S
      themes for Japanese persona, or just A&S in general, with a Japanese
      theme? No, I'm just asking, haven't gone beyond the idea of "Ooh,
      this is neat, I wonder" and I would prefer a decent "yes, go for it"
      or "no, stupid gaijin, don't bother" answer :) then I can take off in
      a new direction on 'toys' for A&S play :)

      Thanks!

      Miriel
      --
      "There but for the grace of a demented deity, go I" - Tales of the
      Folly, by A. Fesler

      If you want handmade, ask an artist, if you want perfection, get it
      from a machine. T. Ellis
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2007
        I have a copy of the book, and found it very enlightening. There are
        step-by-step instructions, with pictures, of several styles of shibori.
        There's also a good section on the history of shibori. So...yes, go for it!

        Kiri

        --

        Elaine Koogler
        Consultant

        Dragon's Lair Enterprises

        Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
        knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
        -- C.E. Lawrence
      • Tracie Ellis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2007