Re: [SCA-JML] Naming question

    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2007

      > I was wondering if there was any presidence to having karasu or any
      > bird as
      > a given name in period. I did find that it could be femanine but I
      > was
      > hoping that the name be masculine. Thank you all for your help.
      >
      > Ashina no Karasu

      Presuming that you are male, the use of -no- is likely to be
      presumptuous. As for karasu (crow), no there is no good
      reason to expect a Japanese male to be called something
      like that. And, this is especially true of a male over the ago
      of about twelve. Most likely you should also have three names
      not two. If you really want to be "Little Raven" or something like
      that, then I suggest exploring recreating American Indians.
      Raven is a major figure in North American Indian mythology.

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
        On 5/28/07, Brendan Barth <barkowsky444@...> wrote:
        > I was wondering if there was any presidence to having karasu or any bird as
        > a given name in period. I did find that it could be femanine but I was
        > hoping that the name be masculine. Thank you all for your help.
        >
        > Ashina no Karasu

        I don't think you'll find 'Karasu' in a male given name. I'm
        surprised to see it in a female name. My impression of 'karasu' is
        usually as something that eats carrion, and thus hangs around the
        dead. It just doesn't feel auspicious, but I could be wrong.

        You may find it as a Family Name or Locative. Karasuma-doori is a
        modern street name--I know that 'Karasuma' is a modern family name,
        but I don't know how long it would have been in use.