Naming question

  • Brendan Barth
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2007
      I was wondering if there was any presidence to having karasu or any bird as
      a given name in period. I did find that it could be femanine but I was
      hoping that the name be masculine. Thank you all for your help.

      Ashina no Karasu

      More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2007

        > I was wondering if there was any presidence to having karasu or any
        > bird as
        > a given name in period. I did find that it could be femanine but I
        > was
        > hoping that the name be masculine. Thank you all for your help.
        >
        > Ashina no Karasu

        Presuming that you are male, the use of -no- is likely to be
        presumptuous. As for karasu (crow), no there is no good
        reason to expect a Japanese male to be called something
        like that. And, this is especially true of a male over the ago
        of about twelve. Most likely you should also have three names
        not two. If you really want to be "Little Raven" or something like
        that, then I suggest exploring recreating American Indians.
        Raven is a major figure in North American Indian mythology.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
          On 5/28/07, Brendan Barth <barkowsky444@...> wrote:
          > I was wondering if there was any presidence to having karasu or any bird as
          > a given name in period. I did find that it could be femanine but I was
          > hoping that the name be masculine. Thank you all for your help.
          >
          > Ashina no Karasu

          I don't think you'll find 'Karasu' in a male given name. I'm
          surprised to see it in a female name. My impression of 'karasu' is
          usually as something that eats carrion, and thus hangs around the
          dead. It just doesn't feel auspicious, but I could be wrong.

          You may find it as a Family Name or Locative. Karasuma-doori is a
          modern street name--I know that 'Karasuma' is a modern family name,
          but I don't know how long it would have been in use.