Re: [SCA-JML] Combat styles & useage

  • Derek Estabrook
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2007
      There is still a lot of rhinohiding, a lot of whining "he hit me too hard", and a lot of baronial,etc. politics.

      I've studied some kenjutsu and I've read a lot of quality works such as the Book of Five Rings and others. I don't claim to be an overall expert, but I have a good general knowledge and I've seen a few matchups such as you've described. My best friend is the son of a knight who has grown up fighting with the SCA and he matched up with a 3rd degree black belt sensei in kenjutsu and iaido who was new to the SCA. The kenjutsu man was skilled, but had a lot of time adjusting in the beginning. My friend was much more adaptable in the combat situations while the kenjutsu sensei was a lot more rigid and regimental in his style. After a few hours their matches became a closer to being equal, but I'm not sure a less skilled practicioner would have been able to adjust as well to unfamiliar styles. They were not even fighting radically different styles as they were fighting longsword vs longsword. I'd say it varies a lot. My friend is fairly skilled in the basics (though at times
      rusty) and has very, very good reflexes. He also has a sharp mind. I think combat has a lot of variances and standard SCA combat also has a lot of weaknesses. Adaptability is not one of them though. Quite often with martial arts adaptability is a big problem. It can become far too regimented and practioners fall into set routines and overly rigid combat systems. Combat has changed since the Mejii Era and it is also quite hard to compare modern systems with older ones. SCA combat is also far different than a lot of more period styles such as depicted in historical combat manuals. Its really hard to apply historical impetus to two people fighting in modern style without really going into it deep.

      As to the samurai question heres a good link that would answer your question better than I. You have to understand that with the type of question you asked you're going to get a lot of unknowledgable biased answers. Especially when dealing with the mysticism and myths of the samurai.

      www.thearma.org/essays/knightvs.htm

    • aimee brooks
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2007
        That's one of the better writeups about the ever-controversial "Knight
        vs Samurai" that I've read, very well done.
        -Hirokawa no Tsuru
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2007

          > www.thearma.org/essays/knightvs.htm

          The fundamental flaw that I possibly see with this article is the
          possibility of misidentifying "samurai" with "knights" when the
          samurai class should be identified with a class which includes
          yoemen. Basically, the samurai were a large class which included
          people whom you would think of as men at arms. The "knights"
          of medieval Europe are a somewhat more elite group which
          does not correspond with KSCA as KSCA corresponds more
          closely to elite orders of knighthood such as the Order of the
          Bath. Well, that's my two cents worth.