Re: Ashigaru almost 100%

  • ADutch64@nctv.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2007
      Sanada-dono,

      Excellent work!
      Very impressive!

      -Takeda Yoshinaka

      On Tue Apr 17 15:01 , 'Jason Adams' <banditt_adams@...> sent:

      >Check me out :)
      >
      >http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/tk0580/ashigaru01.jpg
      >
      >The Ashigaru I did a few weekends back. The chainmaille is on the
      >sleeve opposite the camera, sorry. I just need to finish out some
      >rivets, give it a good going-over with simulated lacquer (yea krylon),
      >get the flag hanger attached to the backplate and its done :)
      >
      >-Jason
      >
      >"Sanada no Katsuyuki"

    • Jason Adams
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18, 2007
        Thank you my Takeda brother :)

        next step is adding the kusazuri and it'll be all set!
        -Jason
        "Sanada no Katsuyuki"

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, <ADutch64@...> wrote:

        > Sanada-dono,
        >
        > Excellent work!
        > Very impressive!
        >
        > -Takeda Yoshinaka
        >
        > On Tue Apr 17 15:01 , 'Jason Adams' <banditt_adams@...> sent:
        > >
        > >Check me out :)
        > >
        > >http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/tk0580/ashigaru01.jpg
        > >
        > >The Ashigaru I did a few weekends back. The chainmaille is on the
        > >sleeve opposite the camera, sorry. I just need to finish out some
        > >rivets, give it a good going-over with simulated lacquer (yea krylon),
        > >get the flag hanger attached to the backplate and its done :)
        > >
        > >-Jason
        > >
        > >"Sanada no Katsuyuki"

      • aimee brooks
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20, 2007
          Wow, that rocks, I love it!
          I need to get some armour myself, but before I do that, I need to lose
          some weight..kinda hard to take in a steel breastplate;)
          Very nice work there!
          -Hirokawa no Tsuru
        • Jason Adams
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20, 2007
            LOL actually I am attempting to loose some weight myself ;) That is
            why I made the dou to be one of those standard munition types. It
            does not have a hinge on the side; both sides are held together by a
            cord :) that way, as I loose weight, I just need to tighten the cord
            on both sides ;)

            If you have the power tools and all the supplies (including rivets
            which were the bane of my existence!) you can do the dou in 2 days
            (Bryant says an afternoon, and that may be true for someone who has
            done it before; but for ever doing it for the first time, give
            yourself two days).

            One piece of advice is this: When doing the down n dirty dou, I would
            just mark the very farthest edges of the 5 plates around the stomach
            at 1.5 inches. So that you get the proper curve. After doing it by
            "eyeballing it" I found it was about 1.5 inches anyway.

            Thanks for he kind words! If you get to making one of these, its
            actually pretty easy and fun; so ask me any questions you have! Now
            that Ive done it once, I feel I can make 2 in the time it took me to
            do the one. (If I had the people to fill them with, I would make a
            bunch more too!)

            -Jason

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, aimee brooks <rjb@...> wrote:

            > Wow, that rocks, I love it!
            > I need to get some armour myself, but before I do that, I need to lose
            > some weight..kinda hard to take in a steel breastplate;)
            > Very nice work there!
            > -Hirokawa no Tsuru

          • Date Saburou Yukiie
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20, 2007
              Good job, tomodachi.
              As for making dou - there is always a need for armor, you should not have too hard a time
              finding places for it to go.
              As a technical note, the tekko on the wrists looks a little oversized. The plates should just
              barely cover the back of the hand, with a second plate not even covering the first to the
              middle knuckles. The thumb plate should be downsized also. It looks like the shapes are
              right, just a little large. ;-)
              Date
              (If I had the people to fill them with, I would make a
              > bunch more too!)
              >
              > -Jason

            • Jason Adams
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21, 2007
                Ah! Ok, I was wondering why it was a bit hard to grip the sword with
                the tekko being the size they are. Thank you for pointing that out my
                friend! :)

                The best thing about a project like this being something you make
                yourself, is the pride of adjusting and tweaking it as you go. If I
                paid a few hundred bucks on something like this, I would be afraid to
                tweak it LOL

                Well heck; as for making more of these, maybe as I make another set,
                I'll post the previous one for sale? I found a special paint for
                bar-b-q's that has a very plasticine property. Its a little more
                expensive than normal spray paint, but I think it simulates that
                flat-black lacquer look really well! While not authentic, its very
                nice for "economy" munition armour!!

                -Jason
                "Sanada no Katsuyuki"

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Date Saburou Yukiie" <dateyukiie@...>