Ashigaru almost 100%

  • Jason Adams
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17 12:01 PM
      Check me out :)

      http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/tk0580/ashigaru01.jpg

      The Ashigaru I did a few weekends back. The chainmaille is on the
      sleeve opposite the camera, sorry. I just need to finish out some
      rivets, give it a good going-over with simulated lacquer (yea krylon),
      get the flag hanger attached to the backplate and its done :)

      -Jason
      "Sanada no Katsuyuki"
    • ADutch64@nctv.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 17 5:17 PM
        Sanada-dono,

        Excellent work!
        Very impressive!

        -Takeda Yoshinaka

        On Tue Apr 17 15:01 , 'Jason Adams' <banditt_adams@...> sent:

        >Check me out :)
        >
        >http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/tk0580/ashigaru01.jpg
        >
        >The Ashigaru I did a few weekends back. The chainmaille is on the
        >sleeve opposite the camera, sorry. I just need to finish out some
        >rivets, give it a good going-over with simulated lacquer (yea krylon),
        >get the flag hanger attached to the backplate and its done :)
        >
        >-Jason
        >
        >"Sanada no Katsuyuki"

      • Jason Adams
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18 7:21 AM
          Thank you my Takeda brother :)

          next step is adding the kusazuri and it'll be all set!
          -Jason
          "Sanada no Katsuyuki"

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, <ADutch64@...> wrote:

          > Sanada-dono,
          >
          > Excellent work!
          > Very impressive!
          >
          > -Takeda Yoshinaka
          >
          > On Tue Apr 17 15:01 , 'Jason Adams' <banditt_adams@...> sent:
          > >
          > >Check me out :)
          > >
          > >http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/tk0580/ashigaru01.jpg
          > >
          > >The Ashigaru I did a few weekends back. The chainmaille is on the
          > >sleeve opposite the camera, sorry. I just need to finish out some
          > >rivets, give it a good going-over with simulated lacquer (yea krylon),
          > >get the flag hanger attached to the backplate and its done :)
          > >
          > >-Jason
          > >
          > >"Sanada no Katsuyuki"

        • aimee brooks
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20 7:14 AM
            Wow, that rocks, I love it!
            I need to get some armour myself, but before I do that, I need to lose
            some weight..kinda hard to take in a steel breastplate;)
            Very nice work there!
            -Hirokawa no Tsuru
          • Jason Adams
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20 9:18 AM
              LOL actually I am attempting to loose some weight myself ;) That is
              why I made the dou to be one of those standard munition types. It
              does not have a hinge on the side; both sides are held together by a
              cord :) that way, as I loose weight, I just need to tighten the cord
              on both sides ;)

              If you have the power tools and all the supplies (including rivets
              which were the bane of my existence!) you can do the dou in 2 days
              (Bryant says an afternoon, and that may be true for someone who has
              done it before; but for ever doing it for the first time, give
              yourself two days).

              One piece of advice is this: When doing the down n dirty dou, I would
              just mark the very farthest edges of the 5 plates around the stomach
              at 1.5 inches. So that you get the proper curve. After doing it by
              "eyeballing it" I found it was about 1.5 inches anyway.

              Thanks for he kind words! If you get to making one of these, its
              actually pretty easy and fun; so ask me any questions you have! Now
              that Ive done it once, I feel I can make 2 in the time it took me to
              do the one. (If I had the people to fill them with, I would make a
              bunch more too!)

              -Jason

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, aimee brooks <rjb@...> wrote:

              > Wow, that rocks, I love it!
              > I need to get some armour myself, but before I do that, I need to lose
              > some weight..kinda hard to take in a steel breastplate;)
              > Very nice work there!
              > -Hirokawa no Tsuru

            • Date Saburou Yukiie
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 20 12:23 PM
                Good job, tomodachi.
                As for making dou - there is always a need for armor, you should not have too hard a time
                finding places for it to go.
                As a technical note, the tekko on the wrists looks a little oversized. The plates should just
                barely cover the back of the hand, with a second plate not even covering the first to the
                middle knuckles. The thumb plate should be downsized also. It looks like the shapes are
                right, just a little large. ;-)
                Date
                (If I had the people to fill them with, I would make a
                > bunch more too!)
                >
                > -Jason

              • Jason Adams
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 21 11:13 AM
                  Ah! Ok, I was wondering why it was a bit hard to grip the sword with
                  the tekko being the size they are. Thank you for pointing that out my
                  friend! :)

                  The best thing about a project like this being something you make
                  yourself, is the pride of adjusting and tweaking it as you go. If I
                  paid a few hundred bucks on something like this, I would be afraid to
                  tweak it LOL

                  Well heck; as for making more of these, maybe as I make another set,
                  I'll post the previous one for sale? I found a special paint for
                  bar-b-q's that has a very plasticine property. Its a little more
                  expensive than normal spray paint, but I think it simulates that
                  flat-black lacquer look really well! While not authentic, its very
                  nice for "economy" munition armour!!

                  -Jason
                  "Sanada no Katsuyuki"

                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Date Saburou Yukiie" <dateyukiie@...>