Kite citation?

  • Tim McShane
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2007
      I'm hoping to track down a concrete citation regarding the origins of the
      Suruga kite form. In "The Art of the Japanese Kite," Tal Streeter notes;
      "Long ago, in the early 1500s...the lord of Suruga Castle, Imagawa
      Yoshimoto, had one of his retainers fly a kite over the castle walls as a
      sign of victory in a minor skirmish. This use of a kite marked the
      beginning of the Suruga kite." Does anyone have a source on what action
      this may have been in connection with, and/or a date? Yoshimoto lived
      between 1519 and 1560, so I expect the "skirmish" would have been in the
      1540s or 1550s.

      As an aside, does anyone have a good reference on the history of the
      Imagawa?

      Domo,

      - Shiro