Re: QUICK HELP NEEDED PLEASE

  • Jason Adams
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
      One MORE thing!

      Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together? I mean
      what holds the breast plate to the shoulder strap and can be used to
      close the wrist of kote. Arg, these are hard to explain. They were
      originally of black horn. Its a cylanderical kind of thing that slips
      into a loop (of lace) and is held fast because of its oblong shape.

      They might be called a "frog" or "toggle closure". Like this thing:
      http://images.mjtrim.com/tsconfig/15856-BROWN.jpg.fpx?cell=200,200&qlt=75&cvt=jpeg
      http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/equipment/toggle-rope.jpg

      Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
      astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

      any ideas?

      thanks again!!
      -Jason
    • Jason Adams
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
        You guys are all beyond awesome!!! thank you ever so much for all of
        your help!

        Date-dono, your sashimono instruction is great thank you!! Real quick
        follow up though, on originals: was it a board on the horizontal part
        of the pole? How was that affixed? Was the pole lacquered?

        Now I need to decide on Hachimaki or tenugui :)

        THANK YOU!!!!
        -Jason
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Adams" <banditt_adams@...> wrote:
          > Ive looked in walmart and jo-anne fabrics for plastic versions. I was
          > astounded that no place I went to had these!!!

          Well, look where you're shopping: Walmart and Jo-Ann are pretty basic
          in terms of sewing/notions supplies.

          All you really need to make a toggle is some wooden dowel and cord.
          Cut the dowel to the size you want. Either drill the center so you can
          thread some cord through it or file a notch around the middle that the
          cord can ride in and tie it on that way. Use the rest of the cord to
          make the loop the toggle fits through.

          Good luck!

          Saionji no Hanae
        • Alex Cunningham
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
            Namikawa has them. They're terribly nice people, and the toggles (kohaze) are not expensive, nor bulky. I just bought several several sets in both sizes (around 45 dollars worth) when I first found this place.

            http://www.namikawa-ltd.co.jp/english/

            Saburou

          • Jason Adams
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
              ooOOOooo.... Toraba doesnt seem to function anymore and I have been
              wondering about any other place that carries some of this stuff!
              you're my new best friend :)
              -Jason

            • djmccreary@peoplepc.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 5, 2007
                Where can I get the toggles that hold various parts together?

                easiest thing is to make them, get some dowels at home depot or wherever, cut them to the length you want, 1-1/2" or so, and drill two small holes in the middle.

                Ghita

                No trees were killed in the sending of this message,
                but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.